U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2011, 11:25 PM
 
11 posts, read 25,230 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Maybe I'm reaching for the stars here but is it possible to find a cheaper and bigger apartment than I have now? I currently live in the Pelham Pkwy section of the Bronx. Great building although there have been some heat and hot water issues that have gone on for longer than I feel comfortable. Lease is up in a couple of months and rent will likely go higher than we may be able to afford.

What are the best areas for a great building and maybe more space?

I looked at a couple of places this week but they were all seedy walk ups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2011, 12:14 AM
 
7,244 posts, read 12,142,590 times
Reputation: 4266
How big and cheap is your current apartment? I am probably not going to know the answer to your question anyway, but it seems like that is kind of an important detail to leave out when you ask if you can find something cheaper and bigger!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 09:49 AM
 
8,752 posts, read 9,718,680 times
Reputation: 4168
I can probably advise you a bit but Pelham Parkway area has some very large, very affordable apts now so not sure what you are looking for. Give us details like price range, # bedrooms, amenities you seek, proximity to transportation you would like, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
6,669 posts, read 11,643,545 times
Reputation: 4258
Since Pelham Parkway isn't anywhere near the cheapest neighborhood in The Bronx you should be able to find a cheaper place or a bigger place for the same or less in one of the less expensive neighborhoods.

As others have pointed out,we need to know what you have now(size and rent) in order to help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 03:25 PM
 
11 posts, read 25,230 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks for replying all. Our current rent is $1480 and the rent is due to go up. We have a two bedroom apartment. On the smallish side because the line we're on is really small. There are much bigger two bedrooms in the building but they weren't available at the time we rented and are not available now.

We're looking for a two bedroom in a quiet building. I've dreamed of a new apartment with sunken living room and huge living room and bedrooms. We'd like to lower our rent to around no more than $1350..max would be $1400.

We'd like to be close to a train but willing to take the bus to the train for the right place and price. We like quiet but aren't completely anal about it. We're respectful and quiet working class people and want to be around similar people. If our rent wasn't going to go up we'd stay here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 04:05 PM
 
8,752 posts, read 9,718,680 times
Reputation: 4168
Quiet and NYC usually don't go hand in hand, especially in your price range, however you did not indicate a necessity to be a short commute to anywhere in particular, so based on your information you may consider Bedford Park, Kingsbridge, Bronx Park East, and maybe some parts of the Grand Concourse (which are known for large affordable apts), all of which are on train lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 08:47 PM
 
11 posts, read 25,230 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Quiet and NYC usually don't go hand in hand, especially in your price range, however you did not indicate a necessity to be a short commute to anywhere in particular, so based on your information you may consider Bedford Park, Kingsbridge, Bronx Park East, and maybe some parts of the Grand Concourse (which are known for large affordable apts), all of which are on train lines.
thank you! will walk around some of the areas this weekend and see what we like. i think bedfork park first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
6,669 posts, read 11,643,545 times
Reputation: 4258
Couple of things;
1) Your question prompted me to dig around a bit and from what I can see the rents in Pelham Parkway have gone up quite a bit in the last year or so.I live in Pelham Parkway so I'm pretty knowledgeable of the area.If I hadn't looked I would have said you should have no problem finding a 2 br for 1,300 to 1,400 ...maybe even 1,200 but things have changed.

Hate to get picky but does your current apartment have 2 real br's and 2 baths ? What is the sq ftg? I only ask because it looks as though if you have a real 2Br (around 1,100 sq ft) for 1,400 you might have a pretty good deal(except for the heat problem).

2)I found this listing for a jr 4 in one of the best co op buildings in The Bx....beautiful art deco,sunken Lr,totally renovated,very quiet bldg.It's at Pelham Parkway and Bronx Park east.It's not a real 2 br(and is listed as a 1 Br) because the other br was really a d/r but it is a huge( for a 1 br) apartment.Don't know if this is bigger than your current place or not but it sounds like your dream type apartment.Maxx Realty

If you already have a pretty big 2 br in Pelham Parkway for 1,400 but want more for less and still in a decent area you should look around Mosholu parkway.....either just South of in Bedford Park or just North of in Norwood or around the upper Grand Concourse.They are pretty nice areas with lots of art deco and other pre war buildings with big apartments.They don't have all the conveniences(shopping,transportation,etc) that Pelham Parkway has but they are pretty nice.

You also might check out the Van Cortlandt Village area....around Sedgwick Ave,Orloff Ave,Cannon Place,Giles Place,etc.... around the top of the reservoir just below Van Cortlandt Park.Again,a nice neighborhood but not as many shops,restaurants,etc as Pelham Parkway and longer walks to the subway.

Other than that you might have to look in some slightly less desirable or less convenient areas.Places like Woodlawn are nice but you have to take a bus to the subway.

You might find that the deal you have now isn't so bad because it looks like rents are going up fast.Looks as though people from other,more expensive areas of the city are discovering The Bronx and starting to push the rents up.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-10-2011 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2011, 09:14 PM
 
11 posts, read 25,230 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Couple of things;
1) Your question prompted me to dig around a bit and from what I can see the rents in Pelham Parkway have gone up quite a bit in the last year or so.I live in Pelham Parkway so I'm pretty knowledgeable of the area.If I hadn't looked I would have said you should have no problem finding a 2 br for 1,300 to 1,400 ...maybe even 1,200 but things have changed.

Hate to get picky but does your current apartment have 2 real br's and 2 baths ? What is the sq ftg? I only ask because it looks as though if you have a real 2Br (around 1,100 sq ft) for 1,400 you might have a pretty good deal(except for the heat problem).

2)I found this listing for a jr 4 in one of the best co op buildings in The Bx....beautiful art deco,sunken Lr,totally renovated,very quiet bldg.It's at Pelham Parkway and Bronx Park east.It's not a real 2 br(and is listed as a 1 Br) because the other br was really a d/r but it is a huge( for a 1 br) apartment.Don't know if this is bigger than your current place or not but it sounds like your dream type apartment.Maxx Realty

If you already have a pretty big 2 br in Pelham Parkway for 1,400 but want more for less and still in a decent area you should look around Mosholu parkway.....either just South of in Bedford Park or just North of in Norwood or around the upper Grand Concourse.They are pretty nice areas with lots of art deco and other pre war buildings with big apartments.They don't have all the conveniences(shopping,transportation,etc) that Pelham Parkway has but they are pretty nice.

You also might check out the Van Cortlandt Village area....around Sedgwick Ave,Orloff Ave,Cannon Place,Giles Place,etc.... around the top of the reservoir just below Van Cortlandt Park.Again,a nice neighborhood but not as many shops,restaurants,etc as Pelham Parkway and longer walks to the subway.

Other than that you might have to look in some slightly less desirable or less convenient areas.Places like Woodlawn are nice but you have to take a bus to the subway.

You might find that the deal you have now isn't so bad because it looks like rents are going up fast.Looks as though people from other,more expensive areas of the city are discovering The Bronx and starting to push the rents up.
Thanks. Our place has two real bedrooms with only one bathroom. Not sure of the sf but for this building it's considered one of the smaller ones. Went to Target today so took the opportunity to walk around the Yankee Stadium area. Found two buildings I really liked but would haveto walk around the neighborhood when it's summer time and at night.

Will check out the neighborhoods you mentioned this week.

Thanks for that Maax Realty link. A couple of those places are GORGEOUS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2011, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
6,669 posts, read 11,643,545 times
Reputation: 4258
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ2006 View Post
Thanks. Our place has two real bedrooms with only one bathroom. Not sure of the sf but for this building it's considered one of the smaller ones. Went to Target today so took the opportunity to walk around the Yankee Stadium area. Found two buildings I really liked but would haveto walk around the neighborhood when it's summer time and at night.

Will check out the neighborhoods you mentioned this week.

Thanks for that Maax Realty link. A couple of those places are GORGEOUS.
They sometimes rent the apartments out again if they don't sell.There is a 3 br ,2 bath on Mosholu Parkway that is only listed for sale now but was listed for rent a month or so ago.You might want to call them and ask what might be available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top