U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 05:15 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,807,853 times
When this topic repeatedly shows up, why is it that only the bad experiences seem to count?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 05:19 PM

5,058 posts, read 11,439,192 times
Ok look it's time to spit some good game for you people.

First, the precint that covers the 112th & St. Nicholas area (28th) is the worst in Harlem. In other words, it has the highest crime rate out of all the Harlem precincts, and 4th highest in the city of NY. So those of you who are saying the area is not bad are getting duped by the real estate people.

Second, those blocks from Broadway to Amsterdam suck. W 134th street is right by the highway so you have alot of out of towners trying to cop drugs from the Dominicans. This is the culture in western Harlem, Washington Heights, and Inwood. Drugs are part of daily life. Ever wonder why those areas were so bad back during the crack era? Well you had so many drug dealers, drug crews and drugs, that a war between them would result in heavy casualties, which is what happened.

These Dominican areas are not dangerous, especially when compared to the PR or AA areas. I could walk at 4 am in the heart of the underworld (say anywhere on the Audobon street) and probably come out safe. The problems with these areas, and specifically the following, W 157th - W 163rd st Amsterdam to Broadway, anywhere on on Audobon ave, the Nagle, Post, Sherman, Vermylia (W 204th-W207th) area in Inwood, (the Amsterdam-Broadway corridor in West Harlem has it's drugs aswell, although it's not as bad as it is uptown) is that most every young person there is hustling. You can see deals going on right in front of you. This happened on 158th and Broadway the other day to me, I saw it, and it was like nothing, no one said anything, nothing. You can see it by their jelwelry, their luxury vehicles, their going in and out of buildings, their talking on cell phones, etc ...this is a million dollar enteprise that runs uptown Manhattan.

Now what I want one of you kiddies to do for me is go into the blocks I mentioned above, whether it's in Washington Heights or Inwood, and take in everything. It really is crazy, and I feel like im having all the fun. The drug trade is unbelievable when you see it run so properly and when it's part of daily life.

Shout out to all my Dominicans.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:06 PM

6,839 posts, read 6,470,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
134th, between Broadway and Amsterdam.
right by city college. im actually famialr with that part of harlem and beleive every word in your post. The western sides of harlem above 125th street is not really pleasant.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:11 PM

6,839 posts, read 6,470,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

First, the precint that covers the 112th & St. Nicholas area (28th) is the worst in Harlem. In other words, it has the highest crime rate out of all the Harlem precincts, and 4th highest in the city of NY. So those of you who are saying the area is not bad are getting duped by the real estate people.

Second, those blocks from Broadway to Amsterdam suck. W 134th street is right by the highway so you have alot of out of towners trying to cop drugs from the Dominicans. This is the culture in western Harlem, Washington Heights, and Inwood. Drugs are part of daily life. Ever wonder why those areas were so bad back during the crack era? Well you had so many drug dealers, drug crews and drugs, that a war between them would result in heavy casualties, which is what happened.

These Dominican areas are not dangerous, especially when compared to the PR or AA areas. I could walk at 4 am in the heart of the underworld (say anywhere on the Audobon street) and probably come out safe. The problems with these areas, and specifically the following, W 157th - W 163rd st Amsterdam to Broadway, anywhere on on Audobon ave, the Nagle, Post, Sherman, Vermylia (W 204th-W207th) area in Inwood, (the Amsterdam-Broadway corridor in West Harlem has it's drugs aswell, although it's not as bad as it is uptown) is that most every young person there is hustling. You can see deals going on right in front of you. This happened on 158th and Broadway the other day to me, I saw it, and it was like nothing, no one said anything, nothing. You can see it by their jelwelry, their luxury vehicles, their going in and out of buildings, their talking on cell phones, etc ...this is a million dollar enteprise that runs uptown Manhattan.

Now what I want one of you kiddies to do for me is go into the blocks I mentioned above, whether it's in Washington Heights or Inwood, and take in everything. It really is crazy, and I feel like im having all the fun. The drug trade is unbelievable when you see it run so properly and when it's part of daily life.

i really wouldn't be bragging about "washington heights being safe" when it has 2 murders in 1 month so far with possible three all on the same avenue blocks from each other in the 180,s, and st nick.

btw anything harlem south of 125th is nothing to bad except for east harlem.

st knicks and 112th i refuse to believe is one of the most dangerous parts of nyc.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:19 PM

5,058 posts, read 11,439,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
i really wouldn't be bragging about "washington heights being safe" when it has 2 murders in 1 month so far with possible three all on the same avenue blocks from each other in the 180,s, and st nick.

btw anything harlem south of 125th is nothing to bad except for east harlem.

st knicks and 112th i refuse to believe is one of the most dangerous parts of nyc.
Why do you refuse to believe it? It has always been one of the worst parts of the city.

As to Washington Heights, it's not safe, but I wouldn't call it dangerous overall... and I personally knew the killed that got killed on Audobon. It was basically a dispute. Anyways, sure if you talk about St Nich and the W 180's, you know you're in the hood, but , I'd feel safer there with the drug dealers than in Harlem or the South BX and their stick up kids.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:22 AM

30 posts, read 76,560 times
Quote:
Why do you refuse to believe it? It has always been one of the worst parts of the city.

As to Washington Heights, it's not safe, but I wouldn't call it dangerous overall... and I personally knew the killed that got killed on Audobon. It was basically a dispute. Anyways, sure if you talk about St Nich and the W 180's, you know you're in the hood, but , I'd feel safer there with the drug dealers than in Harlem or the South BX and their stick up kids.
Mario People have different tolerance when it comes to danger. When I hear men catcalling I don't care, while my firend would get a heart attack. Depends what threats you feel more exposed to...

Are you saying that for a young family 112th and St.Nick is not good bc of project kids? What you say makes sense cause I doubt drug lords would care to rob you for your $50 when they have a million $ business put on the line if police gets called. On the other hand, there's their clientele + drug wars...

Quote:

What's PR and AA?

I was thinking the crime rate in the 28th precint is high because of the northern part of it, and also the project. Am I in denial?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:04 AM

8,752 posts, read 9,044,079 times
But to put SuperMario's "reality" into the context of safety and crime in NYC, the "reality" is that if you simply keep your nose clean, i.e. not be involved in the drug trade and not hang out with the homeys at the bodega at 2 am no matter how many times they tell you that you are their friend, then the drug trade and the crime/murder that goes with it does not directly affect the average NYer.

80% of murder victims in NYC know the perpetrator, and 70% of those are drug related...what does that tell us about crime in NYC? Using basic common sense, and staying out of the drug trade, even in the worst areas, you can live easily without the fear that you like to instill in people. If you are involved in the drug trade, whether it is in Wisconsin, Arkansas, Massachusetts, or wherever, crime and death will find you, and NYC is no different. If you stay clear of it, and use basic common sense, much of SuperMario's scary stories are moot and have little to do with the avg NYer.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
But to put SuperMario's "reality" into the context of safety and crime in NYC, the "reality" is that if you simply keep your nose clean, i.e. not be involved in the drug trade and not hang out with the homeys at the bodega at 2 am no matter how many times they tell you that you are their friend, then the drug trade and the crime/murder that goes with it does not directly affect the average NYer.

80% of murder victims in NYC know the perpetrator, and 70% of those are drug related...what does that tell us about crime in NYC? Using basic common sense, and staying out of the drug trade, even in the worst areas, you can live easily without the fear that you like to instill in people. If you are involved in the drug trade, whether it is in Wisconsin, Arkansas, Massachusetts, or wherever, crime and death will find you, and NYC is no different. If you stay clear of it, and use basic common sense, much of SuperMario's scary stories are moot and have little to do with the avg NYer.
I hope you're right!
any source for those data?
because there's not that bad with drugs in Central Harlem, yet violent crime rate is the highest according to NYPD

Old 02-11-2011, 10:42 AM

8,752 posts, read 9,044,079 times
I will look for this source as I read it somewhere. Here is another interesting note about crime and victims in NYC: NYPD joins forces with Brooklyn pastors to fight gang violence by engaging black youth

"African-Americans make up 24% of the New York City population," he said. "Yet they were 58% of its murder victims in 2009, and 73% of its shooting victims." (this is a sobering statistic)

Black men between the ages of 18 and 34 are six times more likely to be murdered than Latino men of the same age, and 12 times more likely than white males, Kelly said, citing city data.
The statistics are just as stark when it comes to perpetrators of violent crime. Last year, blacks were 60% of all homicide suspects and 80% of all shooting suspects, Kelly said.

The real story about murder and crime in NYC is that if you are a young black male, you should be VERY afraid and this is truly sad.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I will look for this source as I read it somewhere. Here is another interesting note about crime and victims in NYC: NYPD joins forces with Brooklyn pastors to fight gang violence by engaging black youth

[LEFT]"African-Americans make up 24% of the New York City population," he said. "Yet they were 58% of its murder victims in 2009, and 73% of its shooting victims." (this is a sobering statistic)

Black men between the ages of 18 and 34 are six times more likely to be murdered than Latino men of the same age, and 12 times more likely than white males, Kelly said, citing city data.
The statistics are just as stark when it comes to perpetrators of violent crime. Last year, blacks were 60% of all homicide suspects and 80% of all shooting suspects, Kelly said.

The real story about murder and crime in NYC is that if you are a young black male, you should be VERY afraid and this is truly sad.

[/LEFT]

Whoa!
I think it's more about activities you get involved in, not the skin color. I doubt I'm safer walking in Harlem just because I'm white - nor in more danger - I think crime does not discriminate and is more about being in the wrong time wrong place than race. Unless of coarse you're a criminal and looking for trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City