Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,845 times

Advertisements

Seriously, life is way too short to be concerned about this unless there is a reason to. be concerned. Advice to all, smile and say hello. You never know if one of them can help you out some how or watch you car etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 12:01 PM

11,556 posts, read 9,273,187 times
Because it's mad relaxing and you don't want to be locked up inside your apartment all of the time. It really relieves stress, just chilling out in front of the door on a cool evening with a breeze blowing through your hair

Old 09-01-2013, 03:06 PM

151 posts, read 404,018 times
Nothing like 5 burrly hood-types starring you down as you try to walk into the bodega to pick up some milk. Seriously, sme of them come off as intimidating while you are just minding your own business.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:12 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,030,049 times
Is it considered low-class to bring folding chairs out in front of the building onto the sidewalk to chat, when the building has a quite large, beautifully tended, uncrowded private garden with flowers, trees and benches in the back courtyard?

Old 09-01-2013, 05:39 PM

43,309 posts, read 44,028,521 times
I think people do it to talk privately without disturbing others in their small apts.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:01 PM

11,191 posts, read 9,012,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay1980 View Post
Nothing like 5 burrly hood-types starring you down as you try to walk into the bodega to pick up some milk. Seriously, some of them come off as intimidating while you are just minding your own business.
LOL. i agree. They also block the street and the entrances.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:44 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,254,595 times
Most of the time, people sitting out front provides the community a service by keeping an eye out on the block.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:52 PM

18,369 posts, read 31,462,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Is it considered low-class to bring folding chairs out in front of the building onto the sidewalk to chat, when the building has a quite large, beautifully tended, uncrowded private garden with flowers, trees and benches in the back courtyard?

The back yard is boring as hell. People like to see other people, hence sitting in FRONT of the house or apartment

Winter here in NY is so long and endless, the first signs of any decent weather people are outside.

It is fun to sit on someones stoop for an hour and chit chat, watch the people pass by, then go home and call it a day.

We Brooklynites do it all the time.

I don't see anything low class about it. Who made that rule up?

Old 09-01-2013, 06:53 PM

11,191 posts, read 9,012,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Most of the time, people sitting out front provides the community a service by keeping an eye out on the block.
LOL. yeah, right. Have you heard of the no snitching code???

Old 09-01-2013, 07:23 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,030,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
The back yard is boring as hell. People like to see other people, hence sitting in FRONT of the house or apartment

Winter here in NY is so long and endless, the first signs of any decent weather people are outside.

It is fun to sit on someones stoop for an hour and chit chat, watch the people pass by, then go home and call it a day.

We Brooklynites do it all the time.

I don't see anything low class about it. Who made that rule up?
Well, I was just asking. I personally think folding chairs on the sidewalk is low class. I don't see anything wrong with sitting on the stoop, which is already there, but placing folding chairs on a sidewalk that is not that wide and already has people trying to actually use the sidewalk with shopping carts, strollers, etc. just seems weird and low-class. Again, it's just me with that opinion and I was asking if others share it. Now I know that you do not!

I feel like in this particular building I'm talking about, if people want to enjoy sitting outdoors, there's a dedicated place for that in the large back garden. If they want to go people watch, they should go to the local park or find one of the many local benches that were already put on the street for the purpose of allowing people to sit and people watch or take a rest from their shopping, or do their crossword puzzles or whatever. The benches are generally on sidewalks that are wider, like on the main drag, and not on the side streets where sidewalks are narrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: