U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-10-2011, 12:16 PM
 
1,123 posts, read 262,177 times
Reputation: 400

Advertisements

Perhaps a rant, but for all those who've lived in NYC long enough, it seems a given that Chelsea piers is the most overpriced, unpleasant place to visit in the city.

The parking is a total ripoff, the ice rink smells badly and is laughably overpriced as well, there is no subway to get to it - which admittedly, isn't their fault - but it is not a facility that could exist anywhere else but in Manhattan.

It's like the ridiculously overpriced, poor value supermarkets, no competition leads to bad product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2011, 03:43 PM
 
Location: New York, New York USA
239 posts, read 92,659 times
Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
Perhaps a rant, but for all those who've lived in NYC long enough, it seems a given that Chelsea piers is the most overpriced, unpleasant place to visit in the city.

The parking is a total ripoff, the ice rink smells badly and is laughably overpriced as well, there is no subway to get to it - which admittedly, isn't their fault - but it is not a facility that could exist anywhere else but in Manhattan.

It's like the ridiculously overpriced, poor value supermarkets, no competition leads to bad product.
You must be mad.

Chelsea Piers is very nice, and THANK GOD it's not close to the subway. Most places in the city with easy access via the subway (aka easily accessed by poor dirty people from dumpy neighborhoods who can't respect nice things) is generally trashy.

The reason it's so "nice" because it's secluded and inaccessible. I love that far West Chelsea, far West Village area. That area is rich and I love it. The more super upscale the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 05:11 PM
 
1,123 posts, read 262,177 times
Reputation: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAC NY View Post
You must be mad.

Chelsea Piers is very nice, and THANK GOD it's not close to the subway. Most places in the city with easy access via the subway (aka easily accessed by poor dirty people from dumpy neighborhoods who can't respect nice things) is generally trashy.

The reason it's so "nice" because it's secluded and inaccessible. I love that far West Chelsea, far West Village area. That area is rich and I love it. The more super upscale the better.
Uh, no. You just need to understand that their pricing is absurd, some of the facilities are not so great - in fact, gross - and their parking is obscenely overpriced.

There are better facilities for alot of what is there, its just been around 40 years and its what ppl know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 05:14 PM
 
8,752 posts, read 9,671,729 times
Reputation: 4168
Anyone saying "they love the area it's super rich" and "the more upscale the better" is clearly not rich, and they are just glomming onto rich people. Or the dude is just trolling..best to ignore him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 05:22 PM
 
3,894 posts, read 2,973,931 times
Reputation: 2072
1000 businesses like certain restaurants, stores, hotels, parking or the unbelievable bad customer service couldn't exist anywhere but in Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 05:33 PM
 
4,556 posts, read 3,805,398 times
Reputation: 3459
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Anyone saying "they love the area it's super rich" and "the more upscale the better" is clearly not rich, and they are just glomming onto rich people. Or the dude is just trolling..best to ignore him.

Goddamit you sunnavabitch, would you stop saying random things that I agree with! I don't like this one bit!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 05:50 PM
 
4,502 posts, read 8,051,718 times
Reputation: 3938
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
There are better facilities for alot of what is there, its just been around 40 years and its what ppl know.
Chelsea Piers hasn't been around for 40 years. I was living in the area when Roland Betz bought the property and started renovations on it in the mid 90s. The story is, he purchased the property to build a rink so his daughter would have a place to practice her skating. It just took off from there with the various sports complexes, restaurants, the movie studio, the marina, the cruise ships, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
10,356 posts, read 18,817,098 times
Reputation: 3791
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
Perhaps a rant, but for all those who've lived in NYC long enough, it seems a given that Chelsea piers is the most overpriced, unpleasant place to visit in the city.

The parking is a total ripoff, the ice rink smells badly and is laughably overpriced as well, there is no subway to get to it - which admittedly, isn't their fault - but it is not a facility that could exist anywhere else but in Manhattan.

It's like the ridiculously overpriced, poor value supermarkets, no competition leads to bad product.
How much is the parking?
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Queens, NY
6 posts, read 10,262 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
Perhaps a rant, but for all those who've lived in NYC long enough, it seems a given that Chelsea piers is the most overpriced, unpleasant place to visit in the city.

The parking is a total ripoff, the ice rink smells badly and is laughably overpriced as well, there is no subway to get to it - which admittedly, isn't their fault - but it is not a facility that could exist anywhere else but in Manhattan.

It's like the ridiculously overpriced, poor value supermarkets, no competition leads to bad product.
I agree but its not really for New Yorkers to begin with...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Long Island
7,875 posts, read 9,671,459 times
Reputation: 4971
Bring it here then lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top