Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 06:45 PM

12 posts, read 35,945 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much for your kind response. I really am naive when it comes the area and welcome any info you give me. We went today to look at the models again. My husband is head over heals with the Freeport. I like it too but I am having a hard time giving up the good school district (#24) we live in and the abundance of great private schools in my area. Also all the great activites we have in my area, sledding in the park, tree lighting etc. I'm not into the 'supermom' mentality as another blogger posted but I do believe that parents should be as involved as they can in their child's education. Whether it be academic or social education. I want this move to work and I want to commit to the area long term I LOVE the beach, we are out growing our small 2 bedroom condo... but I over analyze everything and I think about 10 years from now when my son is in his teens and wants to hang out with his friends. What is there for teens to do and will it be safe to let him out on his own? I can't baby him forever and teenagers like to go to movies, bowling, play pool etc. You have been in the area for 31 years, where do you see the area 5-10 years from now. Do you know any families that have children? What are their expeirnces like with the schools you metioned/or any other school in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 07:32 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgirl908 View Post
Thank you so much for your kind response. I really am naive when it comes the area and welcome any info you give me. We went today to look at the models again. My husband is head over heals with the Freeport. I like it too but I am having a hard time giving up the good school district (#24) we live in and the abundance of great private schools in my area. Also all the great activites we have in my area, sledding in the park, tree lighting etc. I'm not into the 'supermom' mentality as another blogger posted but I do believe that parents should be as involved as they can in their child's education. Whether it be academic or social education. I want this move to work and I want to commit to the area long term I LOVE the beach, we are out growing our small 2 bedroom condo... but I over analyze everything and I think about 10 years from now when my son is in his teens and wants to hang out with his friends. What is there for teens to do and will it be safe to let him out on his own? I can't baby him forever and teenagers like to go to movies, bowling, play pool etc. You have been in the area for 31 years, where do you see the area 5-10 years from now. Do you know any families that have children? What are their expeirnces like with the schools you metioned/or any other school in the area?
I see it improving....the YMCA will be a huge asset for children once it's finished. Majority of the schools suck like I mentioned before.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-31-2012, 08:41 PM

i've been to the area a few times during the work day, after work and on the weekends, it is always very quiet with kids playing in the playgrounds. However on some other blogs i've read that at night it is different, residents of abts hear gunshots. I grew up in brooklyn by the projects i never once heard a gun shot. Some1 even posted that had he known what he knows now he would never have bought an abts house. does anyone actually live in one of the houses?

Old 08-01-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgirl908 View Post
i've been to the area a few times during the work day, after work and on the weekends, it is always very quiet with kids playing in the playgrounds. However on some other blogs i've read that at night it is different, residents of abts hear gunshots. I grew up in brooklyn by the projects i never once heard a gun shot. Some1 even posted that had he known what he knows now he would never have bought an abts house. does anyone actually live in one of the houses?
My cousin rented in a 2 family house at ABTS for a year, I hung out at her house quite a few times. You might hear gunshots once in a while, depending on how close to Hammels you are. I won't sugar coat it, they do shoot sometimes, and especially in the summer. A kid got shot and killed right on the Boulevard a month or 2 ago....it happened at 2 AM though, if that makes any difference to you. If you grew up in Brooklyn near the projects and never heard a gunshot then consider yourself lucky I guess. Where in Brooklyn exactly did you grow up?

Old 08-01-2012, 11:41 AM

Start reading our local paper:

Front Page | www.rockawave.com | Wave of Long Island

Old 08-01-2012, 03:05 PM

I have been reading the paper. Thanks its a good resource. I lived by the Red Hook houses and went to school by the Marlboro projects. I always felt safe by the 2 places.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,669 times
Take it from me, someone who’s been living at ABTS for over 3 years. I feel totally safe in the area, in fact my husband & I are having a baby and feel ABTS is a fantastic place to raise a family. The neighborhood has totally changed for the better, there’s lots of brand new stores including a stop & shop, bank, restaurants & a YMCA which I hear is opening next spring. You have to see it to believe it. I moved here from Flushing and I’m sure Arverne is not completely crime free, but neither is the rest of NYC. You guys can debate whether there's crime or not but I'm off to the beach! Have fun

Old 08-02-2012, 05:53 PM

Once you have the baby where is she/he going to school? Those area public schools are aweful, not only are their test scores low but according to the DOE surveys those schools are also unsafe. Aside from Stop n Shop what other areas do you shop at? I am starting to feel that I would be safe in the development, we only have a few more days to hold our lot.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:24 PM

67 posts, read 244,300 times
For activities for kids, you're going to have to drive for now. Not sure how old your children are but there are activities that they can join in. There is football/soccer/baseball leagues in Broad Channel. I know there's a hockey league that plays in the fall at the hockey rink. I'm pretty sure there's swimming lessons at Far Rockaway High School (or at least the building, thnk the school is closed). There's also a bunch of random events they have during the summer/spring/early fall along the boardwalk/beach sponsored by the city.

Other shopping areas for groceries, would be Waldbaums and Keyfood in the 100s or the Keyfood in the 80s. Not sure whats closer or more eastern. For retail shopping you'll have to go to Five Towns or Kings Plaza in Brooklyn really. Not much of a selection on the peninsula itself, for now at least.

The public schools near you are bad, though the Waterside School (formerly PS225) has gotten good reviews (the middle school part of it however got mixed reviews) but I'm not sure if you're zoned for that. There's also the Scholar's Academy which is also supposed to be good but I think kids have to take a test to get in. You also have the private schools St. Rose, St.Camillus and St Francis de Sales.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:54 AM

2 posts, read 6,669 times
My recommendation for you QueensGirl908 is to do what we did before we bought our home. We went to the sales office on the weekend around lunch time and spoke with people that already live in the community. There are tons of kids in the community so you can ask actual homeowners where they sent their kids to school. For shopping for things we can’t find at the stop and shop we just drive 5 miles up Rockaway Turnpike to go to Costco and other big box stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City