Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 01:05 PM

239 posts, read 304,287 times

Advertisements

If you can afford it, the city is one of the most exciting and amazing places in the world to live.

Expect to eat the best food in your life, expect to experience the absolute best in fashion/glamor/culture/nightlife and to have the most pretentious conversations you've ever had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 06:31 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,913,772 times
Default biggest city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marix V View Post
Biggest city in the United States by population, used to be the capital of the state and country, world famous, city that never sleeps, etc.

I'm really curious what its like. Does it ever get boring... or is there always something to see or do? Does it have balanced diversity? Are there negatives or just positives?
Biggest city in USA is Los Angeles. (population of 11 million)

Old 02-16-2011, 06:47 PM

22 posts, read 48,275 times
I think there are a lot of very positive things and very negative things about NYC. It has a very diversified economy and opportunities that are completely unique. You can't possibly run out of things to do. You are in the fashion capital of the world. You are at a center of media, publishing, finance and arts. You don't have to own a car. However, the rents are insane. The environment is brutally competitive all the time, for the most mundane things. It's dirty, noisy, and packed. I think everyone should experience it at least once. But only a certain few are really meant to stay there permanently. The high levels of stress combined with cost of living eventually wear most down, especially if they weren't born and bred for it in the first place.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:24 PM

190 posts, read 682,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrnicolas84 View Post

That's the METRO population..and even that number is wrong..the actual city population is around 4 million, with the metro population being upwards of 14-15 million.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:35 PM

250 posts, read 561,420 times
Expensive, action pack and fast pace. If you can handle these, you've got it!

Old 02-16-2011, 08:27 PM

442 posts, read 1,294,048 times
Quote:
lol gtfoh

your wrong.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:49 PM

5,427 posts, read 5,661,707 times
Quote:
LOL these troll posts might work on other forums, but you are posting on CITY-DATA buddy. Fail troll is fail.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:39 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,645,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvillian718 View Post
New York City, is New York City. I mean its tough to make it out here. It's harder if your from the hood out here. I mean i love it. I dislike working in mid-town manhattan. But i enjoy goin back home to reality back in brooklyn, thats what living is. So NY has its ups and downs. I can say NY nevers get old. always somthing to do.
Fixed it for you

Old 02-16-2011, 11:46 PM

749 posts, read 2,447,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savemore View Post
It is for the young. As one gets older, the city life get old and boring, and one wishes for some peace and quiet. The city can get on ones nerves. And it is expensive. It is no wonder that many older people are moving to quieter, warmer, less expensive places in the south.
Yes, of course, it's natural to get jaded. If you grew up here or have lived here for many, many years you won't see New York through the same set of goggles that people visiting for the first time see it through.

Luckily I get to work from home in Queens, and only go into the city once in awhile when I need my excitement fix. That really helps, because I don't think I could deal with the constant day to day rat race of commuting and working in the city - especially during rush hours.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:52 AM

16 posts, read 48,325 times
Default Nyc

NYC is a great place to live! However, it all depends on where you live in the City. What I like best about NYC is that you do not need a car. If you don't want to ride the train, you can catch a bus, catch a cab, or just walk. You can always find a place to eat in new york, no matter what time it is. There is always somewhere to go. The movies, the plays, central park, museums, ice skating, restaurants, and 42nd street (Times Square) is beautiful at night.

What I don't like is it gets too cold in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City