Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 09:06 AM

14 posts, read 14,755 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are going to NYC this weekend, arriving on Friday. We are staying in Flushing and wonder what is the best time to leave midtown for Queens if we want to arrive around 7 to 7:30 PM. Also would it be better to park near UN HQ than somewhere say 50th and 8th Ave? During the weekend, is it better to park in Flushing and taking the train in? Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 09:12 AM

Also, we are travelling with the two-and-a-half year boy and since Saturday will be raining, any suggestions to where he can go? We are thinking about USS Intrepid for one.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:37 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffayyca View Post
Hi, we are going to NYC this weekend, arriving on Friday. We are staying in Flushing and wonder what is the best time to leave midtown for Queens if we want to arrive around 7 to 7:30 PM. Also would it be better to park near UN HQ than somewhere say 50th and 8th Ave? During the weekend, is it better to park in Flushing and taking the train in? Thanks a lot.

to help with timing, the 7 train from times square to main street flushing is a 45 minute ride on the local. the is last stop to last stop , if everything rides normally.

weekends are the better days to drive into the city, Sunday being best ( no charge for metered parking). Park closest to where you plan to spend the most time. If you are familiar in reading parking signs, and can understand them, then use that method, or plan on paying for parking.

Unless you will spending time on the east side, I would not park near the UN HQ.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
to help with timing, the 7 train from times square to main street flushing is a 45 minute ride on the local. the is last stop to last stop , if everything rides normally.

weekends are the better days to drive into the city, Sunday being best ( no charge for metered parking). Park closest to where you plan to spend the most time. If you are familiar in reading parking signs, and can understand them, then use that method, or plan on paying for parking.

Unless you will spending time on the east side, I would not park near the UN HQ.
Thanks. Because I have to take my parents to UN tour on Friday and the location of our stay, I have to park in Manhattan and drive to Flushing in the evening. I want to park near the east side to stay away from Manhattan traffic. Is it a nightmare on 495 if we take the tunnel around 6?

Old 12-20-2017, 11:42 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times
Quote:
Thanks. Because I have to take my parents to UN tour on Friday and the location of our stay, I have to park in Manhattan and drive to Flushing in the evening. I want to park near the east side to stay away from Manhattan traffic. Is it a nightmare on 495 if we take the tunnel around 6?
Why are you so insistent upon driving into Manhattan and during rush hour at that? Most people use public transportation. Are you allergic to that or something? If you don't to use the subway you can take the LIRR in from Flushing.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Why are you so insistent upon driving into Manhattan and during rush hour at that? Most people use public transportation. Are you allergic to that or something? If you don't to use the subway you can take the LIRR in from Flushing.
I'm coming in from Syracuse Friday morning around 7 and have to catch the UN tour around 2 or 3 pm. That's why I think i have to drive into Manhattan. Is there a better way to handle this? I don't think it's realistic for me to go to Flushing and take the train in. I have driven in Manhattan before and trust me I didn't want to do this unless I have to.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:30 AM

31,884 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Quote:

Live on the UES of Manhattan and am here to tell you traffic has already begun to lighten up as people head out of town for the Christmas holiday. Have been seeing cars, limos and vans loading up with luggage and so forth since Monday.... At night traffic on avenues is noticeably lighter, and this likely will continue through Friday.

Parking around that part of Turtle Bay (east side area around UN) is probably better than going all the way over to 50th and 8th. Again things should be lighter because many are going away for the holiday.

Driving into Manhattan on a Saturday or Sunday from Queens is rather easy and likely will be so this weekend and next due to the holidays. You can take the train in if you want, but don't see it as being mandatory. Getting to Flushing from Mid-town should be less than one hour by car. Right you can either take the Queens Midtown tunnel (toll) or Queensboro bridge (free) to I-495 which takes you right out to Flushing. Or FDR Drive to Triboro Bridge (toll) to I-278E then I-678-S

Many businesses are closed on Friday or will close early in advance of the Christmas holiday, so evening rush hour traffic is likely to be lighter than usual. In fact overall traffic in Manhattan should be rather light Friday.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:51 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
Since you are staying in Flushing, I would suggest taking your 2 and half year old child to the NY Hall of Science: https://nysci.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: