Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 04:15 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,894,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperIncumbent View Post
LOL.. A two bedroom apartment in Park Slope for 500K? I think you meant to say 2 mil.
No, this isn't off the wall. I think you need to look at listings around the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 05:52 PM

5 posts, read 20,417 times
check out Red Hook Brooklyn. it might seem a little rough at first but it is up and comming. alot of places around there are becoming more and more attractive to many people. you will see alot of young couples with strollers.
good luck

Old 07-30-2007, 10:56 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,788,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isezer View Post
check out Red Hook Brooklyn. it might seem a little rough at first but it is up and comming. alot of places around there are becoming more and more attractive to many people. you will see alot of young couples with strollers.
good luck
I wouldn't recommend Red Hook to a couple.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:43 AM

842 posts, read 4,304,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
The amalgamated owners are known to be a bit racist, according to the older residents in my building (which isn't an amalgamated complex, but right up the hill from a whole series of them). It's kind of the reason why this neighborhood has stayed a White neighborhood while surrounding areas have not. I actually believe that as long as the amalgamated buildings last, the neighborhood will always have a sizable Jewish/White population.
You speak the truth. My mother had a very hard time finding an apartment there and when we did, the contract was 15 pages thick and the application fees were hundreds of dollars. Riverdale board members are VERY picky about their tenants.

That's why she chose Pelham Bay, all the way.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:53 AM

842 posts, read 4,304,047 times
Post A suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loni2 View Post
My husband and I are looking to buy a place in or v. near the city. We've lived in Union Square area for 4 years (renting) and are looking for more space, preferably a 2 bedroom or even 3 (though probably out of our price range). We've looked in UES, Wash Heights, Inwood and Riverdale. Not too happy with any of those places: Riverdale seemed too dead, as did Inwood. Wash Heights was the closest we came but didn't like any of the apartments there. (and still seemed a bit dead). Any ideas for somewhere that's an easy commute to midtown, reasonably young and vibrant (at least a couple decent restaurants and bars within walking distance), but where you can still get 2 bedrooms for around $500-600k and easy access to get out of the city for weekends. Was thinking Astoria but it seems pretty landlocked and no good parks/water nearby. Any thoughts? Are we being too picky?
Many young couples are moving out of Manhattan for larger spaces for the same price. But, many of these people don't want to leave Manhattan. So they migrate north. Check out, Morningside Heights. It has a very easy commute downtown (1 train), reasonably young and vibrant (Columbia students dominate), many restaurants/ bars along Broadway and Amsterdam, and the price is 1/3 of Manhattan prices more south. Take the GWB out of the city (175th St. A Train). There is the beautiful Morningside Park which offers natural waterfalls. Also Riverside Park for running, biking, fishing, picnicing, etc. And as an added bonus, Morningside Heights has the second lowest crime rate in Manhattan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City