Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 05:56 AM

3 posts, read 9,661 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to buy a place in or v. near the city. We've lived in Union Square area for 4 years (renting) and are looking for more space, preferably a 2 bedroom or even 3 (though probably out of our price range). We've looked in UES, Wash Heights, Inwood and Riverdale. Not too happy with any of those places: Riverdale seemed too dead, as did Inwood. Wash Heights was the closest we came but didn't like any of the apartments there. (and still seemed a bit dead). Any ideas for somewhere that's an easy commute to midtown, reasonably young and vibrant (at least a couple decent restaurants and bars within walking distance), but where you can still get 2 bedrooms for around $500-600k and easy access to get out of the city for weekends. Was thinking Astoria but it seems pretty landlocked and no good parks/water nearby. Any thoughts? Are we being too picky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 06:23 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Two bedrooms for that price? Not in Manhattan. How about Brooklyn?

Old 07-22-2007, 07:08 AM

564 posts, read 1,726,897 times
I'd sincerely suggest Astoria, Queens, but if you don't want it:

Van Cortlandt Village in the Bronx is being taken over by 20-30 somethings from Manhattan (basically the Middle Class that Yuppies are kicking out), and is close to the 1 subway station. The area lacks decent restaurants, with the exception of an Albanian Pizzeria and a Chinese Restaurant. Bars are near the neighborhood if you are willing to walk for ten minutes or get on a bus for five minutes. There are a few Irish bars on 231st street. 2 Bedroom is probably around $1100-$1400 a month.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:39 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
They're looking to buy, not rent...

Old 07-22-2007, 07:45 AM

314 posts, read 492,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
basically the Middle Class that Yuppies are kicking out...
did you read their post? these are prime examples of the yuppies who are kicking out the middle class. condo-buying, manhattan-obsessed (not that i want them in my neighborhood, mind you), "let's-do-the-nyc-thing-for-a-couple-of-years" outsiders that are so vilified on this board.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:47 AM

Oh, ok. Then stay out of my neighborhood, OP. It ain't that great, anyway.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:59 AM

3 posts, read 9,661 times
Thanks straightshooter, you're living up to your name!

We're just looking for a friendly down to earth neighborhood with a few things to do, does anyone else have any advice? Thoughts on Jackson Heights, or non-hipster neighborhoods in Brooklyn?

Old 07-22-2007, 08:03 AM

314 posts, read 492,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
Oh, ok. Then stay out of my neighborhood, OP. It ain't that great, anyway.
HAHAHHAAA!!!! once again, another post that actually made me laugh out loud. rarely done. congratulations, *w/rep*!

Old 07-22-2007, 11:04 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
Yeah if they found Hudson Heights/Innwood boring, then they'd be bored to tears living up here in the North Bronx. Riverdale actually has a decent ammount of stuff going on compared to VCV. I doubt the board would let random people like this into the Amalgamated complex in the first place. Don't you need connections for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loni2 View Post
We're just looking for a friendly down to earth neighborhood with a few things to do, does anyone else have any advice? Thoughts on Jackson Heights, or non-hipster neighborhoods in Brooklyn?
Yeah right I don't believe that for a second. Friendly, down to earth? You mean a place that has $5 lattes and Thai restaurants on every corner. All of these places are definitively hipster.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I doubt the board would let random people like this into the Amalgamated complex in the first place. Don't you need connections for that?
The amalgamated owners are known to be a bit racist, according to the older residents in my building (which isn't an amalgamated complex, but right up the hill from a whole series of them). It's kind of the reason why this neighborhood has stayed a White neighborhood while surrounding areas have not. I actually believe that as long as the amalgamated buildings last, the neighborhood will always have a sizable Jewish/White population.

However, they'll take an 80 year old Jew over a 25 year old Irish person, anyday. The buildings were designed for Jews to begin with. The residents of the amalgamated are usually always new generations of Jews who came in the 1920s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City