U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-19-2011, 08:47 PM
 
Location: In my view finder.....
8,520 posts, read 14,683,046 times
Reputation: 8079

Advertisements

I always here: You don't need a car in NYC". My question is where are all of the cars in the city coming from?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-19-2011, 08:49 PM
 
Location: New York City
66 posts, read 163,604 times
Reputation: 42
Good Question. Though I'd say it's more accurate to say "You don't need a car in Manhattan" The cars probably come from the outer boroughs, Long Island, Upstate and New Jersey.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2011, 08:54 PM
 
Location: In my view finder.....
8,520 posts, read 14,683,046 times
Reputation: 8079
Quote:
Originally Posted by raecino View Post
Good Question. Though I'd say it's more accurate to say "You don't need a car in Manhattan" The cars probably come from the outer boroughs, Long Island, Upstate and New Jersey.
Ahh, ok...........I'm glad you thought it was a good question. I was thinking, I hope I don't get slammed for this one.


What about Brooklyn. Do you need one there?


Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2011, 08:57 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Western Massachusetts
46,078 posts, read 45,620,855 times
Reputation: 15009
Me. I drive into NYC, becuase the bus is slow from Western Mass. And often I'm driving to or from my parent's house in LI and I stop in NYC on my way. It wouldn't make sense for me to take the train into Manhattan, then back to LI and then drive to Massachusetts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2011, 08:58 PM
 
769 posts, read 1,893,446 times
Reputation: 283
A lot of people in Manhattan do own cars. This is evidenced by the lack of available street parking and the garages everywhere with tons of monthly customers. While you do not need a car in Manhattan, it is still nice to have if you can afford it. A lot of people say no one in Manhattan needs a car and they should not bring them, but those same people usually will not pass up a ride in a friend's car versus taking public transportation. We have a car, but we pick and choose when to use it and when not to. Usually if we are going somewhere in Manhattan without the dog we take the subway. If we are taking the dog or leaving Manhattan we drive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2011, 09:00 PM
 
Location: In my view finder.....
8,520 posts, read 14,683,046 times
Reputation: 8079
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
A lot of people in Manhattan do own cars. This is evidenced by the lack of available street parking and the garages everywhere with tons of monthly customers. While you do not need a car in Manhattan, it is still nice to have if you can afford it. A lot of people say no one in Manhattan needs a car and they should not bring them, but those same people usually will not pass up a ride in a friend's car versus taking public transportation. We have a car, but we pick and choose when to use it and when not to. Usually if we are going somewhere in Manhattan without the dog we take the subway. If we are taking the dog or leaving Manhattan we drive.
What do monthly parking fees start at?



Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2011, 09:04 PM
 
Location: New York, New York USA
239 posts, read 262,069 times
Reputation: 181
Approx. 50% of New York City residents own cars. Not to mention, the vast majority of the people who live in the NYC Metropolitan Area suburbs (Westchester County, Fairfield County, CT, Long Island, Northern New Jersey) have cars.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2011, 09:05 PM
 
769 posts, read 1,893,446 times
Reputation: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
What do monthly parking fees start at?



Thanks
It depends in what area and what kind of car you drive. I live in FiDi. I found a garage that would give us a spot for a luxury SUV for $300 a month but we had to walk 12 blocks from our apartment to get there. That was the cheapest I could find in all of FiDi. We ended up choosing a garage 1 block away from our apartment for $400 a month (I negotiated this rate with the manager). The garage underneath our building wanted $600. If you look for a bargain you might find something for $250. It all depends on the location, how busy the garage is, etc. Also the place I park is independently owned. If you go to one of the chains they have less flexibility in their pricing. Also parking lots are cheaper than garages, but there are more garages than lots.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2011, 09:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Western Massachusetts
46,078 posts, read 45,620,855 times
Reputation: 15009
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAC NY View Post
Approx. 50% of New York City residents own cars. Not to mention, the vast majority of the people who live in the NYC Metropolitan Area suburbs (Westchester County, Fairfield County, CT, Long Island, Northern New Jersey) have cars.
true, but most of the people work in Manhattan and live in the suburbs don't drive in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2011, 09:12 PM
 
Location: New York, New York USA
239 posts, read 262,069 times
Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
true, but most of the people work in Manhattan and live in the suburbs don't drive in.
True, but the NYC region is massive in population so it only takes a small % of them driving in to cause traffic in Manhattan.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:37 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top