Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 08:04 PM

67 posts, read 92,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Well,I don't know.I have always considered myself middle class but my salary doesn't fall into one of your categories.You left gaps you know.Like between 36 and 49,between 81 and 89 and between 151 and 174.I'm in that middle gap.

Well good Bluedog. For the record, I never had any issues with you because whether you're poor or middle class, you never did strike me as being a ghetto person despite what your salary may be.

I mainly have an issue with the culture and lifestyle associated with the poor and working poor class. As that is where the breeding ground for thugs, gangbangers lies.

Don't worry bluedog...unless you're a thug or gangbanger hustlin' in the streets, you're good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 09:26 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoaeve View Post

I was raised in the BX from my childhood days at 3808 Third Avenue to Clay Avenue & 171st St, Tiebout Ave, & 183rd, DeKalb Ave off Gunhill and 198th & The Grand Concourse which was my last know BX address.

Woah talk about being from the hood!

Old 02-23-2011, 10:17 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Even worse there are people who are college educated from top schools who cannot find jobs...they are heavily in debt and have done "the right thing" and are/have given up hope. And when they do find jobs they are low paying, out of their field, or just a waste of time. And it may drag on like this for AWHILE..
This is true. I had a graduate from mit drop off his resume to me to be a doorman or porter. This is how I officially realized things are bad. Not only that thousands of generic white folks are coming to nyc with degrees and no jobs and when they look for jobs they have to compete against us locals. I have two degrees and still stuck in a boring crappy job that I have to or not to cater to cheap fake transplants. As for grads in debt, they are forever enslaved to the banks. Welcome to america.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashely2011 View Post
So I assume you have a better plan? Wouldn't be surprised if your plan consisted of allowing more ghetto low income to flood into the Bronx and giving them more tax payer money for entitlement programs. Yeah sure, thats the answer...more handouts.

The right answer is to dilute the presence of these people in the Bronx by introducing a higher quality demographic to take its place
Hey ashley read this pdf

Dont worry ashley, some day chinese take out will transform into sushi spots, cuchofrito retaurants will become tex mex spots. Liqour stores will become wines and spirits. Korean vegetable stands will become organic food shops.

http://www.google.com/m/url?client=m...1jlqhxprUzpeiQ

Old 02-24-2011, 03:07 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,250,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Woah talk about being from the hood!
Yeah, Ashley(Ashely) should move there.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Hey ashley read this pdf

Dont worry ashley, some day chinese take out will transform into sushi spots, cuchofrito retaurants will become tex mex spots. Liqour stores will become wines and spirits. Korean vegetable stands will become organic food shops.

http://www.google.com/m/url?client=m...1jlqhxprUzpeiQ
Yes that would be nice but it only seems like a pipe dream now. We shall see how things transpire.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I really believe that more and more solidly middle to upper middle income people are already and will continue to move into The Bronx by default.Most of NYC is just too expensive.If you combine that fact with the new sense of austerity that most people are developing,a lot of people have no choice.

I tended to be a little fiscally conservative even before the meltdown.I also reached an age where I wanted more space to live in.I wanted to buy a large apartment and end up with my mortgage,maintenance and all utilities and metro card being less than $2,000/mo which is a bit more than 25% of my monthly income.Well if you are looking to buy 1,000 sq ft of living space and keep your total living expenses at $2,000/mo in NYC you don't have too many options.Moving to The Bronx made that easy and I found an apartment in a decent neighborhood for less than $200,000 that would cost at least 4x as much in a lot of NYC.

I don't regret it all.I have a fantastic,huge apartment in a beautiful building across the street from The Botanical Garden 2 blocks from the subway and 150 stores.

Eventually people get tired of spending 1/2 their income to live in closets or with roommates or in trendy neighborhoods.The bronx has lot to offer people that are tired of that.
You make perfect sense bluedog about manhattan, NYC being too expensive to live in so one would think people would naturally seek shelter at the next best place...the Bronx. True however there are A LOT of deterants that prevent them from doing so.

The biggest issue in my opinion the Bronx is currently facing is the INCREASE of undesirable TRANSPLANTS moving to the Bronx from gentrifying neighborhoods such as Harlem, Washington Heights, parts of Brooklyn, etc.

In other words, we (the Bronx) get the trash other neighborhoods spitted out. Do you see my point?

How is the Bronx going to progress if you have a constant flow of undesirables moving into the borough because it's the cheapest borough to live in? So sometimes being too cheap isn't good as well as it attracts the low-lives and the riff-raff continues or gets worst.

I agree the Bronx is slowly taking several steps forward but stuff like undesirable transplants moving in makes it take several steps back so in reality they each cancel each other out and no SIGNIFICANT change is really done.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashely2011 View Post
You make perfect sense bluedog about manhattan, NYC being too expensive to live in so one would think people would naturally seek shelter at the next best place...the Bronx. True however there are A LOT of deterants that prevent them from doing so.

The biggest issue in my opinion the Bronx is currently facing is the INCREASE of undesirable TRANSPLANTS moving to the Bronx from gentrifying neighborhoods such as Harlem, Washington Heights, parts of Brooklyn, etc.

In other words, we (the Bronx) get the trash other neighborhoods spitted out. Do you see my point?

How is the Bronx going to progress if you have a constant flow of undesirables moving into the borough because it's the cheapest borough to live in? So sometimes being too cheap isn't good as well as it attracts the low-lives and the riff-raff continues or gets worst.

I agree the Bronx is slowly taking several steps forward but stuff like undesirable transplants moving in makes it take several steps back so in reality they each cancel each other out and no SIGNIFICANT change is really done.
A perfect example is the Bronx Dominican population. Many Dominicans are poor and live on some sort of public assistance like section8 and welfare. Many are also working class poor from Washington Heights who can no longer afford to live in that area due to rivitalization and soon gentrification so the next step is to cross the river and move into the western portion of the Bronx between north of Yankee Stadium south of the Kingsbridge Armory. Many Blacks in the Bronx are leaving public houosing and heading back down south and I know many who have, and many Puerto Ricans are going upstate, allentown Pennsylvania or Florida to live. Even lowlifes and riff rafs are leaving to start a new some where else, or even dying if that makes you happy? With the south Bronx population in decline there was a possiblity that the Bronx would have lost a congressional seat, therefore the area of South Bronx would have lost alot of federal grants. Because of the influx of poor Dominicans stream rolling across the Harlem River helped save the Bronx from loosing a congressional seat and money to help improve the schools and other government institutions and programs. I spoke to many people in Mott Haven who wlecome change in the area, even people in housing projects welcome change. How can Mott Haven get better with Mexicans coming from Harlem and Dominicans marching down the Concourse like if its a parade, this is what longstanding Puerto Ricans, blacks and old school Irish guy told me.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
A perfect example is the Bronx Dominican population. Many Dominicans are poor and live on some sort of public assistance like section8 and welfare. Many are also working class poor from Washington Heights who can no longer afford to live in that area due to rivitalization and soon gentrification so the next step is to cross the river and move into the western portion of the Bronx between north of Yankee Stadium south of the Kingsbridge Armory. Many Blacks in the Bronx are leaving public houosing and heading back down south and I know many who have, and many Puerto Ricans are going upstate, allentown Pennsylvania or Florida to live. Even lowlifes and riff rafs are leaving to start a new some where else, or even dying if that makes you happy? With the south Bronx population in decline there was a possiblity that the Bronx would have lost a congressional seat, therefore the area of South Bronx would have lost alot of federal grants. Because of the influx of poor Dominicans stream rolling across the Harlem River helped save the Bronx from loosing a congressional seat and money to help improve the schools and other government institutions and programs. I spoke to many people in Mott Haven who wlecome change in the area, even people in housing projects welcome change. How can Mott Haven get better with Mexicans coming from Harlem and Dominicans marching down the Concourse like if its a parade, this is what longstanding Puerto Ricans, blacks and old school Irish guy told me.
You mentioned blacks moving down south, that may be the truth to a certain extent I guess but I personally have seen an INCREASE in the black population in the Bronx. Especially in the northern and northwest parts of the Bronx which historically blacks were a rare site who never really ventured out to til recently (5-6 years ago). Most of them come from Harlem or Brookyln since they are being priced out of those areas (oh great, lucky us). And the majority of them I've notice are on some type of public assistance program (section 8, welfare, work advantage, HASA, etc.) Great like the Bronx needs more of those.

So these people are not exactly the desirable, non-threatening type of blacks like for example Mike Woods from Fox 5 good day NY comes to mind who's well spoken, well dressed, not a ghetto bone in his body, but more along the lines of Dip Set (Jim Jones, Juelz Santana, Cam'ron, etc.) if you listen to hip hop, you'll know exactly the type of characters I'm talking about.

What I'm basically trying to say is the blacks moving to the Bronx from Harlem and Brooklyn are "hood" people on programs. Point blank. Not the respectable, educated blacks that you would prefer to see to change the perception of the Bronx.

So whats happening in the Bronx is you have ghetto puerto ricans leaving the borough to PA or Florida but then being replaced by ghetto dominicans and ghetto blacks. So at the end of the day, nothing really has changed and its the same crap of people swapping spots. That kind of stuff can't continue if you want the Bronx to prosper and rid itself of the stigma.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:38 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,259 times
You're forgetting the fack that you "need" poor people everywhere. Who's gonna work those ****ty minimum wage jobs? If i had a dollar for every time i seen some yuppy working in walgreens or mcdonalds, i'd have...0 dollars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City