Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 12:09 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

HATED...what a silly word to describe feelings for a million person area????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 02:52 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
I'm pretty sure folks from the bronx have
no love for most of you miserables either.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:09 PM

37 posts, read 44,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
The Bronx is an old, ugly looking, gritty, dirty place with many high crime neighborhoods. Most of the borough looks the same, in other words, ghetto. You have Latino and blacks throughout the borough, with little white enclaves far away. So the diversity is pretty low, unless you enjoy seeing Puerto Ricans, African Americans, Dominicans, Mexicans, and Jamaicans all over the place. Too many buildings and housing projects. Too many people on some kind of assistance. Too many drug dealers and drug addicts. Too many people with aids...etc etc

Atleast in other boroughs the ghetto does not make up the majority. The non-ghetto neighborhoods also don't look the same as the ghetto ones (unlike the Bronx where even Riverdale looks like Fordham).

The Bronx is tough. It's just a tough, grim, gloomy place.
I agree. The Bronx should be better than that. I live in the Bronx, but I don't hang out nor shop big in the Bronx. I often have to go to Manhattan or Westchester County to experience the quality of life which the Bronx is lacking. Why do quality shops exist everyplace else, but the Bronx. I was happy when the Bronx finally got a frozen yogurt shop last year in Schulyerville.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:51 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
The scene off the 4 train stop at 183rd street is pretty depressing. What a slum.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:47 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
SuperWario: That particular area is depressing..and so is the stretch of Tremont from the water all the way east to Parkchester IMO. Maybe you should think about spending less time complaining and more time actively improving you area? I know I do.

There are those mired in poverty, like yourself, that no matter where you go in NYC, it will be depressing, because you are stuck always living in bad areas. There are others who are living in the Bronx, by choice, like myself, who are there because we are part of the resurgence and making things better, and enjoying all the positive changes occuring.

You have chosen to whine, complain, and be depressed about living in poverty and your circumstances..most people do rather than take action and do something positive to make a difference. It is much easier in life to sit back, do nothing, and criticize and complain..and life passes you by...and 20 years later you are still critizing and complaining and have nothing to show for it.

How about you become active in your community..there are alot of organizations doing alot of good things. Maybe you can join one and see what's really happening in the Bronx, and why I, like others, are so bullish on it. When all you see is the same poverty around you day in and day out, you miss all the good things happening in the borough.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:22 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
SuperWario: That particular area is depressing..and so is the stretch of Tremont from the water all the way east to Parkchester IMO. Maybe you should think about spending less time complaining and more time actively improving you area? I know I do.

There are those mired in poverty, like yourself, that no matter where you go in NYC, it will be depressing, because you are stuck always living in bad areas. There are others who are living in the Bronx, by choice, like myself, who are there because we are part of the resurgence and making things better, and enjoying all the positive changes occuring.

You have chosen to whine, complain, and be depressed about living in poverty and your circumstances..most people do rather than take action and do something positive to make a difference. It is much easier in life to sit back, do nothing, and criticize and complain..and life passes you by...and 20 years later you are still critizing and complaining and have nothing to show for it.

How about you become active in your community..there are alot of organizations doing alot of good things. Maybe you can join one and see what's really happening in the Bronx, and why I, like others, are so bullish on it. When all you see is the same poverty around you day in and day out, you miss all the good things happening in the borough.
Quiet you with the murder rate over 20.

The slums of the south Bronx are the worst in the borough. In terms of poverty rate, crime rate, and quality of life issues.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:33 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
This is not a battle over who is worse..although I know you love to revel in it. But it's clear you are a lost cause....get used to being surrounded by the destitute because that's all you will know and attract in life. People like you seek it out, conciously and unconsciously, because it's all you know.

So complain and whine about the ghetto and poverty, but know that you are serving it up to yourself and eagerly feasting on it, day in and day out.

As for the rest of us, we realize there is much more to the Bronx than your depressing perspective, and the borough is changing to become what it always was, a working/middle class borough with substantial green space and excellent educational institutions. I am bullish on the borough, and those who know what is actually occuring in the Bronx are bullish also.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:09 AM

579 posts, read 945,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
This is not a battle over who is worse..although I know you love to revel in it. But it's clear you are a lost cause....get used to being surrounded by the destitute because that's all you will know and attract in life. People like you seek it out, conciously and unconsciously, because it's all you know.

So complain and whine about the ghetto and poverty, but know that you are serving it up to yourself and eagerly feasting on it, day in and day out.

As for the rest of us, we realize there is much more to the Bronx than your depressing perspective, and the borough is changing to become what it always was, a working/middle class borough with substantial green space and excellent educational institutions. I am bullish on the borough, and those who know what is actually occuring in the Bronx are bullish also.
I agree with SobroGuy. I chose to move back after all these years and I've grown to be proud of growing up in the Bronx. Like all NYC boroughs, it has it's good and bad. However, much of the bad is now better. FYI, here's a copy of a letter I wrote to NY Times.

[SIZE=3]Dear Real Estate Editor:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I am writing to send you a suggestion. I and many of my blog colleagues would like to see you extend your coverage of the real estate market to more than just Manhattan and Brooklyn. As a subscriber who reads the paper every day, I would appreciate knowing what's going on in the Bronx. In my humble opinion, there is a lot of things happening there which are positive and deserve your coverage. It would be nice if you could cover the gentrification that has been occurring, especially since it is not the variety that other areas of the city have seen. What I notice from frequent visits to the borough and reading the blogs about New York City is that the people moving into the Bronx and revitalizing many neighborhoods are not just young people looking for the next Williamsburg but also middle class families that have been forced out of neighborhoods in Manhattan and Brooklyn. These new settlers are mostly non-white and perhaps that is why this trend is being missed. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]What I have noticed is that people are discovering the large supply of low-priced and low-rent apartments in classic art deco buildings that are ripe for the taking. You should be covering this. Compared to Harlem, for example, the Bronx provides much more value. Why not try to show one of those great apartments on the Grand Concourse or the beautiful single and one to four family homes along Pelham Parkway that are currently on the market once in awhile in your featured home pages? [/SIZE]

Old 12-09-2012, 10:06 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
The housing projects have been a failure all over the world. In fact some of the better managed housing projects are in New York and they are still horrible places to live even at their best. Most of the projects in the rest of the country and eastern Europe have already been imploded.

The common thread is that the families that live there are destroyed and they are filled with single parents and people with addictions. This is valid in Moscow, Krakow, The Bronx or Chicago. Project were designed by the government as warehouses for people not homes. A machine that houses people. The construction of the projects signaled the end of the Bronx as a caring community. Upon construction of the projects the social convention pushed people towards drugs, towards crime and towards violence, Before the projects the social conventions pushed people towards respect, towards family and towards righteousness. Now a child living in the projects that is nice, loving, studious and faithful is singled out and tortured as a weak pariah.

Sam you are 200% correct! I'll give you and Sobro a perfect example Fort Independence project. This project just consists of one building with green space. That;s it, one freaking building yet it has done a great deal of damage to the entire neighborhood and surrounding properties. it attracts drugs and ghetto trash who do nothing but sit on their butt and collect welfare. Good for nothing. Maybe if rent was increased, they wouldn;t have the time to sit on their ass! When they first built it back in the 70's, it sparked white flight from the area which was predominantly Irish.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:35 AM

770 posts, read 1,131,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Sam you are 200% correct! I'll give you and Sobro a perfect example Fort Independence project. This project just consists of one building with green space. That;s it, one freaking building yet it has done a great deal of damage to the entire neighborhood and surrounding properties. it attracts drugs and ghetto trash who do nothing but sit on their butt and collect welfare. Good for nothing. Maybe if rent was increased, they wouldn;t have the time to sit on their ass! When they first built it back in the 70's, it sparked white flight from the area which was predominantly Irish.

Very sadly true. I have said it many times, Projects do much more harm than good. The put one up in a stable working class neighborhood and within a few years the area is drug infested, getto, uncivil area that propels the good people to leave. The Liberal Elites who championed these projects and forced them into neighborhood were they were not wanted, naturally did not live there or send their kids to school there. They remain filthy hypocrites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City