Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:24 AM

47 posts, read 97,313 times

Advertisements

I have heard that out of all the boroughs, the Bronx is the most disliked. Why is this? Is it because it's the poorest borough? The less aesthetically pleasing?

I live in Parkchester and don't find the Bronx that bad or ugly, but I definately want to move to queens or maybe even brooklyn after I graduate from university in 3 yrs. because I don't think it's a good area for my career and socially it's pretty dull compared to queens and brooklyn.

Also some other questions if you can answer them.
Is the Bronx in improvement, or decline? What do you think of the Bronx? What do you think of job opportunities in the borough? Is it an ideal location for a young adult looking to begin career?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 11:52 AM

537 posts, read 818,633 times
The Bronx gets it's bad reputation mostly from the poor areas like the South and East. It's been like that for at least several decades.

Obviously, not all of the Bronx is bad. Riverdale in the NW is a pretty nice neighborhood.

As for the bad parts of the Bronx, they've actually improved quite a bit from what they looked like back in the '80s.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:35 PM

106,554 posts, read 108,696,306 times
i wouldnt say i hate it. its just a pain to get to. the tolls from queens are rediculious and most of the main highways pass thru some real crappy areas. if you break down they may just find your bones.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:46 PM

49 posts, read 368,958 times
The Bronx is perceived as the worst borough by many, but the key word here is perceive. The fact is, the Bronx has some bad neighborhoods that give the entire borough a bad rep. Case in point, when you read the news and come across a headline that reads: "It was a bloody weekend in The Bronx." Then you keep reading and learn that the bloody incident occurred in Tremont or Morrisania or Melrose or Morris Heights (by Burnside) or West Farms or Soundview or Mott Haven or Hunts Point or Olinville--in other words, that the sordid ordeal ocurred in the very same neighborhoods that are largely responsible for shaping our negative perceptions of the borough. And this truly sickens me.

The same neighborhoods.

When I read that it's been a "bloody" or violent Bronx weekend, the press should be more specific and include in the headlines the name of the neighborhood as opposed to the just "The Bronx." You see, I know the Bronx, and know that the borough has many nice areas that rarely--if ever--experience "bloody" weekends.

When I come across an article that does this I just want to write back and ask the author, "So, tell me, has it been a bloody Riverdale weekend? A bloody Morris Park weekend? Or how about Throggs Neck, Woodlawn, Country Club, Classon Point, Kingsbridge Proper, Bedford Park or Norwood? How about City Island--was it bloody there too? Pelham Bay, anyone? Come on! There are many nice/decent areas in the Bronx that are not given any play by the press.

Many people simply perceive the Bronx as the worst borough because they don't know any better. Many have simply not been exposed to the decent parts.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:49 PM

33,993 posts, read 47,230,787 times
For what it's worth, if I played for the Yankees I would live in Riverdale. Quick drive to the stadium on game day.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-21-2011, 02:50 PM

383 posts, read 1,315,507 times
The Bronx if you ask me has the most crime trouble, econmically isn't doing to well, pretty poor area. This is goin off someone who lived with with aunt and uncle is Co-op city for a year. Gang violence is for sure a big problem in the BX.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:05 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,064,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvillian718 View Post
Gang violence is for sure a big problem in the BX.
I'm sure you meant to say "In some sections of The Bronx", as it is in some sections of Brooklyn,Queens,Manhattan and even Staten Island.The crime stats sort of indicate that the gang problem may actually be worse in certain parts of Brooklyn and in certain parts of Harlem than it is in The Bronx.

Unfortunately,you lived in Co Op City, which I gather does have a bit of a gang problem but I'd take Co Op City or even parts of the notorious South Bronx any day over certain parts of E Harlem,Brownsville or E New York.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:56 PM

4 posts, read 67,373 times
The Bronx is boring. Crime is not as bad as people think, but I still wouldn't recommend it if you want diversity. Everyone mentions Woodlawn and Riverdale as the best places to live, but each place is dominated by one group's culture (Irish or Jewish). Moderator cut: Inappropriate ethnic commentary The Bronx is the most segregated borough in NYC. Either you live in the poor (read black, hispanic) areas or ultra-white, wealthy areas. There is no middle ground. I moved here from Queens and it was a big mistake. I went from a diverse, fun place with lots of nightlife to a deadly dull area where it's all about saving money - the Bronx is Thrift Store Central.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-22-2011 at 09:33 AM..

Old 02-21-2011, 06:11 PM

730 posts, read 2,053,286 times
I agree that the Bronx's image is mostly stemmed from perception. However, if those outside of the Bronx have that perception about us, there is also a tendency that Bronxites have a similar perception about parts of Brooklyn, Queens, and Upper Manhattan.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:25 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,588,892 times
i love yankee stadium so no i don't hate the bronx. i think it's far though jmo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City