Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 04:38 PM

24 posts, read 107,377 times

Advertisements

Im just doing hearing by mail, sending a letter letting them know their stuff was broke. Putting a picture of the broken machine saying no credit cards, sending my last 2 years of credit card statements showing them a unlimited pass was purchased on a monthly basis, telling them I want fairness, fair is fair, why should either party try to steal from the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 04:40 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamees View Post
Im just doing hearing by mail, sending a letter letting them know their stuff was broke. Putting a picture of the broken machine saying no credit cards, sending my last 2 years of credit card statements showing them a unlimited pass was purchased on a monthly basis, telling them I want fairness, fair is fair, why should either party try to steal from the other?
Leave out the part about them stealing from you.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:43 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times
Quote:
1. I bought single ride passes for those days, however today i was riding the subway 4 times, are you saying I should have spent $2.25 for the first ride, than buy the $104 for the unlimited? Was someone going to refund me that $2.25? I should really be overcharged due to their non working systems? Let's say I didn't have $2.25 cash on me, lets say I only had a credit card, they are denying me service because their machines are out of service today?
The machine wasn't broken. It simply wasn't accepting credit cards. You should have, on the first day, purchased your $2.25 single ride and then purchased your $104 unlimited at your destination stop. If you know you're going to need the unlimited, why did you wait to purchase it? Makes no sense that you would go 3 days trying to buy the unlimited at a station where the machine isn't accepting credit cards.

Quote:
The gate agent shrugged her shoulders and said, I can't let you in, otherwise I would have to let everyone else in.
You must have annoyed her. Any time I've had an issue like this --- and it's happened on more than one occassion --- I've never had a problem getting "buzzed in"

Quote:
3. It is an excuse. If their damn machines don't work, let me in, i'll pay somewhere else. Im trying to pay, its not like I ride the subway once a month, I ride it twice a day, and I pay my $104 monthly just like all the other honest people out there. However, if their machines don't work, what should I do?
You should have bought your Single Ride card and then purchased your Unlimited Card elsewhere.

Quote:
What is the lesson learned here? The only lesson I learned is that the MTA agents and police are non helpful when their systems are broken.
The lesson? 1. You have to pay to ride

2. You should have purchased your Unlimited Ride card at your
destination stop on the first day

3. The "system" wasn't "broken". You had a choice. You chose
wrong.

4. If you've been using the MTA for 2 years, you know when you need to purchsae the card. Why not do so beforehand so you're prepared? Don't they have an autopay system now?

** Not defending the MTA, but you DID have a choice on the first day and I just don't get why you didn't purchase your Unlimited card on that first day? Or the next morning?

As they say " you choose the behavior, you choose the consequence". You chose to fare-evade, now you have to suffer whatever consequence the court hands you.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
The fact that the machine isn't accepting credit cards isn't an excuse for fare evasion. Also, showing you've purchased Metro Cards for 2 years isn't an excuse for fare evasion.

The MTA didn't "try to steal" from you. On the other hand, you're the one who didn't pay your fare to get on the train.

Good luck with your hearing. They may just drop it or they may not.

You'd probably have a better chance of beating it if you go in person. Whining and complaining and being a pain in the rear to the judge may just get him to dismiss it so he won't have to deal with you.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
The machine wasn't broken. It simply wasn't accepting credit cards. You should have, on the first day, purchased your $2.25 single ride and then purchased your $104 unlimited at your destination stop. If you know you're going to need the unlimited, why did you wait to purchase it? Makes no sense that you would go 3 days trying to buy the unlimited at a station where the machine isn't accepting credit cards.

You must have annoyed her. Any time I've had an issue like this --- and it's happened on more than one occassion --- I've never had a problem getting "buzzed in"

You should have bought your Single Ride card and then purchased your Unlimited Card elsewhere.

The lesson? 1. You have to pay to ride

2. You should have purchased your Unlimited Ride card at your
destination stop on the first day

3. The "system" wasn't "broken". You had a choice. You chose
wrong.

4. If you've been using the MTA for 2 years, you know when you need to purchsae the card. Why not do so beforehand so you're prepared? Don't they have an autopay system now?

** Not defending the MTA, but you DID have a choice on the first day and I just don't get why you didn't purchase your Unlimited card on that first day? Or the next morning?

As they say " you choose the behavior, you choose the consequence". You chose to fare-evade, now you have to suffer whatever consequence the court hands you.
So the MTA's broken machines mean they get to charge me an extra $2.25? I fail to see how they should make MORE money from having broken machines. The first 3 days, I was riding twice, theres nothing to gain or lose by buying an unlimited for only two rides a day.

I don't see how you think its right that the MTA should make extra money because their machines are broken, am I missing something here?

No, they dont have autopay for unlimited rides, only for ppr

The system WAS broken, their terminals did not accept credit cards, that is BROKEN in my book. Its common sense in my brain, cant pay when i get on, so i'll pay when i get off, whats the difference, they stil make their money, i still get my ride.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
The fact that the machine isn't accepting credit cards isn't an excuse for fare evasion. Also, showing you've purchased Metro Cards for 2 years isn't an excuse for fare evasion.

The MTA didn't "try to steal" from you. On the other hand, you're the one who didn't pay your fare to get on the train.

Good luck with your hearing. They may just drop it or they may not.

You'd probably have a better chance of beating it if you go in person. Whining and complaining and being a pain in the rear to the judge may just get him to dismiss it so he won't have to deal with you.
lets say i was not caught for fare evasion. Lets say i went under the turnstile, got on the train, got off the train, bought an unlimited, and went on with my day, would you say I had done anything wrong?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:14 PM

749 posts, read 2,454,877 times
Quote:
lets say i was not caught for fare evasion. Lets say i went under the turnstile, got on the train, got off the train, bought an unlimited, and went on with my day, would you say I had done anything wrong?
That's like saying you broke into a bank because the ATM out front wasn't working so you were just gonna go and take out the cash from your account from the safe and just leave a note for the teller in the morning.

Sure, this is technically possible, but why should anyone give you the benefit of the doubt when you're doing something illegal? Not to mention no one even wronged you in the first place - you just didn't want to spend an extra $2.25 and now you'll be paying much more than that in time and hassle.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
That's like saying you broke into a bank because the ATM out front wasn't working so you were just gonna go and take out the cash from your account from the safe and just leave a note for the teller in the morning.

Sure, this is technically possible, but why should anyone give you the benefit of the doubt when you're doing something illegal? Not to mention no one even wronged you in the first place - you just didn't want to spend an extra $2.25 and now you'll be paying much more than that in time and hassle.
Didnt want to spend? I wanted to spend, their machines didnt work. Breaking into a bank causes physical and monitary damage. Going over a turnstile when their machines dont work does not. its more similar to the buses card reader not working, so they let everyone on for free.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
So the MTA's broken machines mean they get to charge me an extra $2.25? I fail to see how they should make MORE money from having broken machines. The first 3 days, I was riding twice, theres nothing to gain or lose by buying an unlimited for only two rides a day.

I don't see how you think its right that the MTA should make extra money because their machines are broken, am I missing something here?

No, they dont have autopay for unlimited rides, only for ppr

The system WAS broken, their terminals did not accept credit cards, that is BROKEN in my book. Its common sense in my brain, cant pay when i get on, so i'll pay when i get off, whats the difference, they stil make their money, i still get my ride.
Your "common sense" doesn't seem to get it.

The machine was NOT broken. It simply wasn't accepting credit cards. You could have used cash. You could have purchased your $104 unlimited the FIRST DAY. Your "common sense" allowed you to choose not to and your "common sense" said it's okay not to pay. Oh, and you got caught.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:

Yes. It's called "theft of services".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City