Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:56 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,231,723 times

Advertisements

so very dumb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 09:15 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 959,228 times
Ehh, it's not THAT bad.

-Melo = huge upgrade over Gallo

-Billups and Felton are about equal (only thing is Billups is here at most for another season while Felton coulda been our point guard for the next 10 years)

-We would have had to let Chandler walk at the end of the year if we wanted to sign Melo as a free agent anyway

-The worst part about losing Mozgov is we now have ONE center and he gets hurt every other week but we'll pick up someone for the time being

Was it a perfect trade? Nope. But they never are. The thing is, we now have two top 10 or so players to build around. If the new CBA comes back in a way that doesn't completely destroy us and we keep Donnie Walsh up there pulling the strings, we'll be fine. Maybe even add Deron Williams, Chris Paul or Dwight Howard in a year and a half. Regardless, I can't remember the last time there's been this much hope in the Garden.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:25 PM

896 posts, read 268,003 times
It's not as lopsided as people think. When you have an opportunity to get a top 10 player, you get him, even if it means overpaying a little bit.

I wonder about three things -

1. Will they have enough time to gel before the playoffs?

2. Who is going to spread the floor in Mike D's offense?

3. Center position looks very thin

It will be interesting to see how MeloStat share the interior. Looking forward to watching the Knicks.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:43 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,587,923 times
Good trade. Having some all-stars on the team will make future free agent signings easier.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:56 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,231,723 times
Can we make a bid for Chris Paul or Deron next season?

Old 02-21-2011, 09:57 PM

442 posts, read 1,295,077 times
i like having melo on the team i might go catch a game. their still not contenders, they wont stop the lakers

Old 02-21-2011, 10:03 PM

33,866 posts, read 47,070,732 times
I am a die-hard Knicks fan. We have 2 All-Stars on our team. I'll see you guys in the playoffs

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-21-2011, 10:09 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,439,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post
Ehh, it's not THAT bad.

-Melo = huge upgrade over Gallo

-Billups and Felton are about equal (only thing is Billups is here at most for another season while Felton coulda been our point guard for the next 10 years)

-We would have had to let Chandler walk at the end of the year if we wanted to sign Melo as a free agent anyway

-The worst part about losing Mozgov is we now have ONE center and he gets hurt every other week but we'll pick up someone for the time being

Was it a perfect trade? Nope. But they never are. The thing is, we now have two top 10 or so players to build around. If the new CBA comes back in a way that doesn't completely destroy us and we keep Donnie Walsh up there pulling the strings, we'll be fine. Maybe even add Deron Williams, Chris Paul or Dwight Howard in a year and a half. Regardless, I can't remember the last time there's been this much hope in the Garden.
The problem I have with this trade is that it tells me Donnie Walsh is not pulling the strings. James Dolan completley undermined him in these negotiations, and you can bet it's only a matter of time before Isiah Thomas is back offically with the Knicks; it's obvious he has a say in things right now..

Old 02-22-2011, 08:11 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,533,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx85339 View Post
It's not as lopsided as people think. When you have an opportunity to get a top 10 player, you get him, even if it means overpaying a little bit.
The problem, of course, is that Anthony was going to be a free agent at the end of the season--and he wasn't making a secret that New York was where he wanted to play. At the same time, Donnie Walsh was busy undoing all the damage Isiah Thomas did to the franchise over the previous decade. Giving away any players to get Anthony, who likely would've come here anyway, borders on the ridiculous.

Having a star without a team around him doesn't mean much. If you remember when Michael Jordan started out with the Bulls, they continued to lose just as they had in the prior seasons. Until they built a team around him, his presence didn't count for anything.

Denver was the desperate team, not the Knicks. They should never have given in to pressure that was created by the media to make a trade that was, when you get right down to it, unnecessary.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:19 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 959,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The problem, of course, is that Anthony was going to be a free agent at the end of the season--and he wasn't making a secret that New York was where he wanted to play. At the same time, Donnie Walsh was busy undoing all the damage Isiah Thomas did to the franchise over the previous decade. Giving away any players to get Anthony, who likely would've come here anyway, borders on the ridiculous.

Having a star without a team around him doesn't mean much. If you remember when Michael Jordan started out with the Bulls, they continued to lose just as they had in the prior seasons. Until they built a team around him, his presence didn't count for anything.

Denver was the desperate team, not the Knicks. They should never have given in to pressure that was created by the media to make a trade that was, when you get right down to it, unnecessary.

Word was that Melo was set to take that $65M extension this year rather than test the new, much less generous CBA next year. Even if that meant staying in Denver or going to Jersey. The Knicks were just his preferred destination. Now of course I don't really buy that and I think he probably would have come here at the end of the year anyway, but if you're the Knicks front office, how do you risk it? How do you just let him potentially let him get away? Why? So you don't have to gut your .500 team of players who either weren't in the future plans or were too raw to ever get a chance to come of age on a winning team? Even Gallo plays the same position as Melo.

And I know Mozgov leaving means we have even a bigger need for a center (didn't know that was possible) but it's not quite like we gave up Wilt. Bring Earl Barron back for a couple hundred thousand and we break even with the whole losing Mozgov thing.

And I agree with the dude who said that the worst part is the feeling that Walsh wasn't in control but we'll cross (and hopefully not drown in) the Isiah Thomas river when we reach it. For now we have two Top 10 players, a proven veteran winning PG, a few nice young complementary pieces, salary cap space on the horizon (Lord/new CBA willing) and HOPE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City