Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 01:09 PM

29 posts, read 100,061 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I will be moving to NYC in the near future (3 months). I've been searching here, Yelp, and various other google hits for some advice that's germane to my situation. I try not to clutter boards with things that have already been discussed, but I would like some advice if anyone is willing...

I will be working pretty close to Times Square in Midtown. I would like to live in an area that's an easy commute, but I'm afraid that it may not jive with my personality. I see people talk about hipsters and frat-guys all of the time. I don't think I necessarily fit into either of those. Murray Hill looked like a good option for me at first, but I read on here some things that didn't sound flattering.

Personality wise, I tend to like indie music and movies. I'm not very political. Don't have a problem with any races (looking forward to some diversity, actually, as I'm coming from Texas). I don't party, but I'll grab a beer now and then. I love live music, but I don't want to deal with it blaring through my windows every night while trying to sleep. Good/nicer restaurants are a plus. Definitely NOT the alpha-male type. Very open-minded and accepting of others.

I'm 30, male, and single. Whitey. No skinny jeans for me.
Budget - depends on the apartment, but a MAX of $2800/mo. Would prefer to keep it closer to $2500 for a true 1BR.
Amenities - I'm partial to an area that will have high-rises, as I would like to have an onsite fitness facility that's fairly nice.

Lastly, and I know this is bordering on pathetic, but I've been in rural east texas for 5 years where the dating pool is non-existent. I'm planning on making up for lost time and I'm hoping to date/get serious with someone, so I'd like to be in an area that would have more women in my age range (24-35'ish).

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 01:24 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
I'd look into the Upper West Side.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:39 PM

551 posts, read 1,575,337 times
Murray Hill always gets a bad rap, but it is largely unjustified. Most of its bad rap comes from its significant concentration of under 35 single people. Sounds right up your alley.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:54 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
West Hellz Kitchen, as well as Midtown West have new high rise developments with amenities you seek. They may be budget busters though..not sure on the rents but they are easy commutes to Times Square. Murray Hill is a long walk, and not much happening there, and mostly the college scene replayed over and over again. Stick to the west side.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:58 PM

468 posts, read 1,337,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleOce View Post
I'm 30, male, and single. Whitey. No skinny jeans for me.
Well at your age you should have stopped wearing skinny jeans back in the late 1980s early 1990s like the rest of us.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLET View Post
Well at your age you should have stopped wearing skinny jeans back in the late 1980s early 1990s like the rest of us.
Haha - I felt like I needed to clarify that i wasn't trying to fit in with whatever's considered hipster style!

Thanks for the advice so far, guys. Midtown West looks like it might be exactly what i'm looking for. Definitely appears that I would be able to find a high-rise in that area from looking at craigslist.

Has anyone ever tried to get a discount on their lease by paying a full year in advance? Is that something that's done?

Old 02-24-2011, 04:31 PM

769 posts, read 2,050,404 times
Just be careful with ads on Craig's List. They might be advertising a flex 1/studio and calling it a 1 bedroom. I do not think you'll get a discount by doing that, but you might get one for signing a lease longer than 12 months.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:39 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Most of those high rises are managed by a handful of property companies. No need to look on Craig's List OR go through a broker when you can walk right into the building and speak to property managers/ leasing agents.

Whether or not you can get a discount depends on the vacancy rate in the building. If the units turn quickly, it's less likely the management would feel the need to give discounts. If it's a brand new building and leasing slowly, it's more likely.

Spend time in the area though- some people like Midtown West and are willing to deal with a long walk to the subway and less conveniences nearby (especially in the new buildings close to the Hudson). Other people are willing to live in a nice place and sacrifice the quintessential NYC neighborhood "feel" that other popular areas offer.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:02 PM

Well I did just stumble upon something about Midtown West having a higher crime rate (5 murders in 2009), so that gives me pause.

What do you mean by "less conveniences nearby?" I didn't mention in my first post, but I assumed I'd be able to grab things like groceries fairly close to just about any manhattan apartment. Could you clarify, please?

I need to look at the subway maps and see just how far I might have to walk to get to a stop. I'm a habitually late riser, so being close to a subway is more of big deal than I let on. Sounds like Murray Hill is in the same boat, just from what I've read on these forums.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
Just be careful with ads on Craig's List. They might be advertising a flex 1/studio and calling it a 1 bedroom. I do not think you'll get a discount by doing that, but you might get one for signing a lease longer than 12 months.
Yeah, I've heard the craig's list horror stories. Hopefully I won't have to deal with that, as my company will be providing me with a broker for free. I just use craig's list as a gauge since I'm so far away. I've been looking at streeteasy as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City