U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 12:05 PM

4 posts, read 8,379 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We have a maximum budget of 700,000 dollars and are looking for a nice house in a low crime area where it is safe to bring up children. Our main priorities are safety for children to play in the neighbourhood and an excellent school. We'd like somewhere reasonably quiet in a nice community and it is important to have reliable and safe public transport links to Manhattan. We were visiting New York last week and spoke to someone who suggested Long Island. We don't really know where to start looking as we don't have much opportunity to visit and don't want to get there and find we haven't picked a great neighbourhood. We are in no rush to relocate and are thinking in the region of the next 3 years. If anyone has any suggestions we'd love to hear from you.
Cheers
Leeds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 01:12 PM

7,079 posts, read 33,738,884 times
If you're planning to work here you need a proper visa.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:04 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
854 posts, read 2,621,408 times
I would take a lot of time before considering Long Island - check out the Island section here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-island/

Old 07-23-2007, 03:06 PM

4 posts, read 8,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
If you're planning to work here you need a proper visa.
Yeah, we've looked into the legalities of moving, it's literally just where to move we're unsure of. Thanks for the info though.

Leeds

Old 07-23-2007, 07:24 PM

563 posts, read 1,570,195 times
Quote:
We'd like somewhere reasonably quiet in a nice community and it is important to have reliable and safe public transport links to Manhattan.
Riverdale in the Bronx is a bus ride away or even a walk away from 1 station which takes you into Manhattan. The neighborhood is extremely quiet and if any English folks exist in the Bronx, it's here.

Long Island sounds better to me, though. Don't know about the proximity to Manhattan, however.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:55 PM

2,806 posts, read 14,972,955 times
Riverdale is nice, but the public schools aren't nearly as good as they should be considering how expensive the neighborhood is. They bus in a lot of kids from Kingsbridge.

For $700k you definitely have a lot of options though. If you have that type of money lying around why can't you just afford to send your kid to private school?

Old 07-23-2007, 10:03 PM

563 posts, read 1,570,195 times
Quote:
Riverdale is nice, but the public schools aren't nearly as good as they should be considering how expensive the neighborhood is.
You can't really say that about any elementary/junior high public school in New York. While you will find some better than others, none are exactly brilliant. Riverdale has some of the better public schools though, just for being in the neighborhood. A lot of parents from the Eastern Kingsbridge area do send their kids there, but only because they know it's slightly better than public schools in their area. My cousin sends his kid there because PS 95 didn't work out for him.

Also, Riverdale has quite a few Private High Schools that are excellent (Fieldston, Horace Mann, that Riverdale Country (?) one). I'm sure private elementary schools exist, too. With all that money, you might as well send your children/child to one.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:53 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,974,501 times
I think Long Island would be great for you. Might also want to try White Plains. Nice areas to raise children.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:26 AM

110 posts, read 448,648 times
Hi
I am a real estate agent and to be honest, as much as I love Long Island , it is very expensive not to mention the commute into the city I do think value wise, great school districts and commute to the city Rockland County would be better Moderator cut: realtor soliciting Good Luck

Last edited by bellafinzi; 07-24-2007 at 09:35 PM..

Old 07-24-2007, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,042 times
If I were you I would rent for the first year your here. It ususally takes that long to find a home and close anyway. That way you can take your time to get to explore different areas. Honestly, you want to take your time with this.
I get a lot of customers in your situation, and they actually save money in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or