Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 08:52 AM

3,085 posts, read 7,245,521 times

Advertisements

Has anyone gone to Washington Square, Union Square, NoHo?. Finest restaurants, huge billboards with models wearing next to nothing, vehicle traffic, tons of people.

It doesnt makes sense to get a serious college education there. I think it'll be better to get an education at a serene location, somewhere with an actual college campus (perhaps like the ones at upstate NY). I'd rather have peace and quiet when doing my studies.

Whats the point of going to NYU? I think it'll be absolutely wonderful if NYU was a community college. That'll be the best experience since community college isnt really a serious education experience. It's more of a part-time experience.

The thought of taking Organic Chem and Advance Cal while coming across these things:

http://www.jkosterarch.com/0405_page...lr_diag_96.jpg

http://www.newyorksinglewomen.net/im...ewomen/img.jpg

http://atmosphereinteriordesign.type...cab9970b-500pi

http://www.thequestforit.com/photos/...ne_gonzale.jpg

Distraction or Motivation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 09:31 AM

5,516 posts, read 8,761,327 times
You can get a serious and intense education anywhere you want if you're determined. If too many clubs or racy billboards or lively streets means you can't do your work, I'd suggest that you're just not ready for college. There will always be distractions wherever you attend school--city, suburb, or country. Mature students learn to do their work when they have to, while immature ones fall prey to whatever else is going on around them. NYU has an average freshman retention rate of 92%, one of the highest in the country, so there must be a lot of kids who manage to do just fine going to school in the Village.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:38 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,831,554 times
Is this a joke?

I went to school in NYC and it was great! I didn't go to NYU but our campus was located in that same general area, but a little more north around 14th street. We then moved to Times Square and I have to say the moral dropped when we moved. Everyone was sad to not be in the West Village.

I got a "serious" education as did everyone else and it was really great because we had amazing field trips.

I also went to school in a rural setting. And I have to say its more exiting to learn in exciting surroundings.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:46 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
NYU is great university. One can definitely get a good education there. But one must be dedicated to studying wherever they go to school (meaning you can find distractions from learning at any college/university).

Old 02-25-2011, 09:46 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,368,760 times
Well NYU didn't make sense to me for a few reasons:

1-I saw the dummies in my class who got in
2-The cost (due to #1 above) was not worth it
3-I was used to seeing the drugged out NYU kids from Middle America passed out on the streets/begging for money....that's not what I wanted to be around..it was what I wanted to get away from.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:54 AM
grant516

n/a posts
That kind of congestion is something that interests those who are training for some kind of urban career, but even those getting a liberal arts degree- it is very influential to ones ability to make reason and meaning to try a collegiate experience that is very much the opposite of where one is from.

Many NYU students come from rural or suburban America and make those years an experience- while they are there it is possible to teach others about their own community; and if/when they return to where they are from they have very different viewpoints from the two places they have been.

Those visual distractions might be an inspiration for something new in their own home town, or ... yes they could end up being distracted by city life and go down the tubes.

Do remember though, when NYU, and even as it grew, Greenwich Village was not as it is today.
At one point, Columbia's Campus was nearly a rural/suburban blend.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:14 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,544,919 times
Also of note, there are far more in-semester internships and P/T job opportunities for those studying in NYC. It's also significantly easier to interview for summer positions when you don't have to take a day off to travel to NY.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:09 AM

3,085 posts, read 7,245,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
You can get a serious and intense education anywhere you want if you're determined. If too many clubs or racy billboards or lively streets means you can't do your work, I'd suggest that you're just not ready for college. There will always be distractions wherever you attend school--city, suburb, or country. Mature students learn to do their work when they have to, while immature ones fall prey to whatever else is going on around them. NYU has an average freshman retention rate of 92%, one of the highest in the country, so there must be a lot of kids who manage to do just fine going to school in the Village.

1) I already have my college degree.

2) College students will always be distracted but there are levels to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Is this a joke?

I went to school in NYC and it was great! I didn't go to NYU but our campus was located in that same general area, but a little more north around 14th street. We then moved to Times Square and I have to say the moral dropped when we moved. Everyone was sad to not be in the West Village.

I got a "serious" education as did everyone else and it was really great because we had amazing field trips.

I also went to school in a rural setting. And I have to say its more exiting to learn in exciting surroundings.

Theres a reason why I mentioned Organic Chem and Advanced Cal. I'm talking about a serious education. Not an art, philosophy or history degree. Those studies you can do anywhere. Perhaps its even better to do it at a Washington Square location.

But I would think a serious education requires some space and serenity.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:43 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
1)
You're probably thinking wrong.

A serious education requires open-mindedness, and an ideology conducive of understanding.

A seriously educated individual pulls that from within. Knowledge always exists- it's how we utilize and retell it that changes.

Top chemist and doctors (who tend to come from the organic chemistry background you imply is the capstone of serious education) come from top medical schools which are often located in urban campuses with all the issues you describe.

... perhaps (yourself or others) being at NYU not making sense to you, at one point will. That is part of the beauty of a 'serious education'.

Good luck in your endeavors. You still have much to learn.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:51 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,831,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
1) I already have my college degree.

2) College students will always be distracted but there are levels to it.

Theres a reason why I mentioned Organic Chem and Advanced Cal. I'm talking about a serious education. Not an art, philosophy or history degree. Those studies you can do anywhere. Perhaps its even better to do it at a Washington Square location.

WTF is a serious education. Is this your opinion? Or is this a real term that only applies to science based majors.

I have my degree in business and to me thats a pretty "serious education".

And really, I think NYC would be a great city to get an art degree in since you can view all the museums live vs. a picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City