Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 10:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,270 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, just reading up on info here but Im lookin for some advice since people seem to know your stuff. Anyway, heres my situation... Im graduating law school this semester from Cardozo School of Law (Yeshiva U). I dont have a business related undergrad degree but will be getting a Corporate Law concentration on my JD (took classes in Corporate Finance, Corporate Law, Distressed Investing, and Mergers and Acquisitions, Federal Income Tax). Unfortunately, 180k of debt later Ive kinda decided I dont wanna practice law anymore (yea I know Im an idiot) but even if I did I probably couldnt get a job in corporate law cus im not in the top 10% of my class and the legal job market sucks as much as possible. Im contemplating adding some kind of business related degree or certificate to my resume so I can get in the door either doing accounting or finance or management or something business related. Clearly I dont want to spend crazy amount of money as Ive already spent so much on law school, but Baruchs (or maybe Hofstra) programs seem affordable as Im in state (maybe Id even get a scholarship???). I dont have much job experience though, my last 4 jobs were - 2 small law firms, a mortgage broker, and doing marketing for a local retail store. Do you think its worth it for me to try to get one of these cheaper MBAs (and can I even get in?) and if not what about a possible post-bac certificate from a good school like NYU or Columbia for one of these programs? Will those qualify me for entry level positions in those areas? Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 02:55 AM

22 posts, read 61,566 times
Good luck, hope you figure it all out and choose what you want most importantly!

Old 02-26-2011, 11:51 AM

80 posts, read 399,784 times
MBAs are good when you have a significant amount of job experience already. also, baruch MBA is pretty good, but NYU and Columbia are the best here, and unlike med school, business and law school rankings matter a LOT. Would it be possible for you to find a job at all, work for 3 years, and try for NYU or Columbia MBA?

Old 02-26-2011, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,270 times
I dont know, Im honestly lost and dont have that much knowledge about how this works. I know NYU or Columbia are better for MBAs but they also cost 60k a year which I already spent on law school 3x (180 total debt). I was asking about Post Bac certificates from those schools such as ones in finance or accounting or whatever because they are cheap/quick/to the point but I am not aware of their value in the job market. Baruchs MBA is much cheaper so its a different option. Obviously going back to undergrad for these things wouldnt make sense with a JD, but I do not really have the desire to practice law anymore and dont want to waste my time taking the bar and dealing with the bar admission process (which can take many months anyway). Theres gotta be something I can do doesnt there?

Old 02-26-2011, 02:11 PM

749 posts, read 2,449,687 times
I would explore management / strategy consulting with a focus on financial industry clients. You should play up your corporate law background and come up with a convincing pitch on why you'd prefer to work in management consulting vs actually practicing corporate law. Maybe you can say you were more intrigued by the financial side while you were learning in law school and that many of the traits of persuasion, communication, understanding of business processes and rules etc that are important in law are also important in consulting.

Most consulting firms just want educated people that can think logically, communicate well, have analytical skills, leadership potential and can work well in a team. There are many PhDs, MSs, JDs from untraditional backgrounds working in consulting - I think they actually prefer a wide variety of backgrounds and not just MBAs, so your law degree could actually benefit you here. Cordozo is a well respected school in the NY corporate world, and I don't think you'll have difficulty landing consulting interviews if you tailor your resume for the right job. At this point, an MBA and especially a business certificate will be useless - your JD will be much more valuable.

Check out firms such as Accenture, Oliver Wyman, FTI, LEK, Deloitte, Booz Allen, Monitor Group etc. Smaller boutique firms would be good as well.

Email this guy: Allen D Applbaum | FTI Consulting

He's an MD at FTI consulting and a Cordozo alumnus.

You'd probably be making 70-80K starting, then 100-120K at the next promotion and north of 150K once you get into senior management. Sr exec / engagement managers are at 300K plus and if you make it to Partner you'd be making 500K plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezraty View Post
Hey guys, just reading up on info here but Im lookin for some advice since people seem to know your stuff. Anyway, heres my situation... Im graduating law school this semester from Cardozo School of Law (Yeshiva U). I dont have a business related undergrad degree but will be getting a Corporate Law concentration on my JD (took classes in Corporate Finance, Corporate Law, Distressed Investing, and Mergers and Acquisitions, Federal Income Tax). Unfortunately, 180k of debt later Ive kinda decided I dont wanna practice law anymore (yea I know Im an idiot) but even if I did I probably couldnt get a job in corporate law cus im not in the top 10% of my class and the legal job market sucks as much as possible. Im contemplating adding some kind of business related degree or certificate to my resume so I can get in the door either doing accounting or finance or management or something business related. Clearly I dont want to spend crazy amount of money as Ive already spent so much on law school, but Baruchs (or maybe Hofstra) programs seem affordable as Im in state (maybe Id even get a scholarship???). I dont have much job experience though, my last 4 jobs were - 2 small law firms, a mortgage broker, and doing marketing for a local retail store. Do you think its worth it for me to try to get one of these cheaper MBAs (and can I even get in?) and if not what about a possible post-bac certificate from a good school like NYU or Columbia for one of these programs? Will those qualify me for entry level positions in those areas? Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City