Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 01:16 AM

1 posts, read 11,685 times

Advertisements

I AM DESPERATE....SOMEONE PLEASE HELP !!!!
I need to drive but my license has been revoked.
Over 15 years ago, when I was not as responsible, I racked up several tickets. Busted tail light, no seatbelt, etc.
I neglected to pay them, which resulted in the revocation of my driving privileges.
I now need to drive for work. I cannot afford to pay the oustanding balance. The penalty ALONE, for one ticket is 1,000.00, and I have about 6 of those. Plus the revocation fees on each tix are astronomical.
There are a list of other fines and charges on top of all of the tickets. Most of the fees are fines and penalties.
IS THERE AN AMNESTY PROGRAM IN NYC FOR DONG AWAY WITH OR REDUCING OUTSTANDING TRAFFIC TICKET DEBT?
OTHER CITIES HAVE DONE IT AS A WAY TO RAISE REVENUE FOR THE CITY.
I AM DESPERATE....ANY SUGGESTIONS OR ADVICE ???? !!!!

Tags: DMV, NYC, New York, Revoke, Suspended, department of motor vehicles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 07:43 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
Default did you try calling

the NY DMV directly?

Old 02-26-2011, 08:00 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
You have a problem on your hands. First, you have to pay the outstanding tickets. After that, you're going to have to go through the entire process of getting a new license: permit, classes, road test.

I would start by calling the Traffic Violations Bureau NYS DMV - Traffic Violations Bureau Offices (http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/tvboffic.htm - broken link)
Find out how many violations you have, how much you owe, and how you can go about getting it resolved.

You would then have to contact DMV to find out if you have to pay a fine to them to lift the suspension/revocation. http://nysdmv.com/callorvisit.htm

After that, go to DMV and take your permit test. You will need the form MV44 as well as the correct identification http://nysdmv.com/forms/mv44.pdf Here's the page with the list of acceptable IDs: http://nysdmv.com/forms/id44.pdf

Since you'll be considered a "new driver" (yeah, yeah, I know you had a license 15 years ago but it's long gone and you're now considered "new"), you have to follow these steps: NYS DMV - Driver License, Learner Permit and Non-Driver Photo ID Card

I don't know of an amnesty program but you may get lucky at the TVB if you get a decent hearing officer and present yourself nicely, calmly, honestly, and professionally.

Good luck to you! I hope you can get the license quickly!

Old 02-26-2011, 10:22 AM
grant516

n/a posts
If anyone has further information on the TVB that would be helpful to the poster and others.

I think it's robbery that you can have a fine for $40, be one day late- and have to pay then an $80 surcharge... that's twice the ticket?!

Just what the hell about that makes it so incredibly more expensive?
Why should his initial tickets be up $1000?! What services did the OP get? Is that reasonable interest?!

Old 02-26-2011, 01:37 PM

4 posts, read 15,424 times
You live in a city with the best public transportation in America. Even in the suburban area beyond the subway, there is a reliable bus system. Anyone who can't afford to drive shouldn't be driving, but even the people who can afford to drive shouldn't be driving.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:02 PM

14 posts, read 38,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoneeG View Post
I AM DESPERATE....SOMEONE PLEASE HELP !!!!
I need to drive but my license has been revoked.
Over 15 years ago, when I was not as responsible, I racked up several tickets. Busted tail light, no seatbelt, etc.
I neglected to pay them, which resulted in the revocation of my driving privileges.
I now need to drive for work. I cannot afford to pay the oustanding balance. The penalty ALONE, for one ticket is 1,000.00, and I have about 6 of those. Plus the revocation fees on each tix are astronomical.
There are a list of other fines and charges on top of all of the tickets. Most of the fees are fines and penalties.
IS THERE AN AMNESTY PROGRAM IN NYC FOR DONG AWAY WITH OR REDUCING OUTSTANDING TRAFFIC TICKET DEBT?
OTHER CITIES HAVE DONE IT AS A WAY TO RAISE REVENUE FOR THE CITY.
I AM DESPERATE....ANY SUGGESTIONS OR ADVICE ???? !!!!

Tags: DMV, NYC, New York, Revoke, Suspended, department of motor vehicles
New York, like most states, issues Conditional and Restricted Licenses after a suspension or revocation that allow you to drive to and from work. I don't know what the eligibility requirements are but this is what you should call the DMV and ask about.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:12 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyrunner View Post
New York, like most states, issues Conditional and Restricted Licenses after a suspension or revocation that allow you to drive to and from work. I don't know what the eligibility requirements are but this is what you should call the DMV and ask about.

They don't issue Conditional or Restricted licenses for people who fail to pay their fines and then, 15 years later, decide they need a license. At this point, the OP isn't even a licensed driver so she/he wouldn't be eligible for anything anyway.

The OP has to follow the instructions I've outlined above. There's no getting around it. The best the OP can hope for is to have a decent hearing officer at the TVB who will lower the fines to whatever they were originally and then go start the process of getting her/his permit, etc.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:42 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
"Over 15 years ago, when I was not as responsible..."

So then you've learned something, haven't you? If that license is really a need rather than something you'd just like to have, then you'll find a way to pay those fines. And as Sartke pointed out, you actually do have other options in this town.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:27 AM

979 posts, read 4,455,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
"Over 15 years ago, when I was not as responsible..."

So then you've learned something, haven't you? If that license is really a need rather than something you'd just like to have, then you'll find a way to pay those fines. And as Sartke pointed out, you actually do have other options in this town.
Typical of so many on here. OP asks an honest question and high brow moralizing with zero advice clutters the thread. I suspect the OP actually needs to drive now, contrary to your assumption that taking a train is the only way. Maybe if Cuomo has real balls he'll go after the TWU next and make the subway a viable and affordable means of transportation.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:56 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartke View Post
You live in a city with the best public transportation in America. Even in the suburban area beyond the subway, there is a reliable bus system. Anyone who can't afford to drive shouldn't be driving, but even the people who can afford to drive shouldn't be driving.
That may work for you, but plenty of people need to drive both within, and outside of this city and requiring owning an automobile.

Depending on where you need to go the subway system can be incredibly inefficient, and is artificially inexpensive causing bridge tolls to be artificially expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City