Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:11 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemiroff View Post
2-3 hrs is too much, it needs to be 1 hr or less
I realize it will be expensive, but which one is less expensive?
A short commute and not outrageously expensive? Don't look now...but your best option would be The Bronx. (Woodlawn, for instance is a perfectly good neighborhood, convenient to both Metro North and the #4 train.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 10:25 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,965 times
Well if he is going to come down into the five boroughs of NYC then I should recommend the neighborhood where I used to live in the Bronx.....Pelham Parkway. There you will be on the 2 & 5 train line along White Plains road and if you decide you don't want to ride the train then also on White Plains road you will find the BXM11 express bus. If you can afford to spend about $5 bucks one way the express bus is a very good choice.........it is a comfortable ride, takes you into Manhattan and makes numerous stops along 5th Avenue. I used to take the express bus every day to and from work in Manhattan on 42nd street. The other good thing about Pelham Parkway is that you will be within walking distance to the Bronx Zoo, access to the Bronx River Parkway if you ever want to drive and because this part of the Bronx is called the Northeast Bronx you are a bus ride away from Orchard beach, City Island with all of its seafood restaurants and will have the Beeline bus for easy access to Westchester county.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:05 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
If you want nightlife, Westchester has little in that regard for single people. You would likely want to go to the city for entertainment, even in White Plains, which is about as lively as Westchester gets. Villages like the aforementioned Hastings and Dobbs Ferry are very sleepy. Depending upon the area in NJ, it's similar, though you will find a bit more in an area like Jersey City. Plus, there are limited rentals in some areas, so the prices may be higher than you would find in an area like Astoria, or another part of Queens, or Woodlawn, Pelham Parkway, and parts of Riverdale in The Bronx. For Brooklyn access, though, Queens would be a better bet than The Bronx or Westchester. PATH acessible NJ would not be bad for Brooklyn, either, as you could transfer to the subway easily.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-02-2011, 01:14 PM

106 posts, read 205,714 times
I don't think Bronx would be an option, I don't feel like living in NYC itself would suit me, I hate traffic,I got a car and I don't wanna give it up and start using public transportation all the time. How about Newark area? It is bigger and seems like there might be more things to do there, as opposed to White Plains?

Old 03-03-2011, 12:59 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
Riverdale is a quiet neighborhood, but car insurance is higher than Westchester. Queens has similar neighborhoods, where single-family residences are in plentiful supply. Both are as quiet as many suburbs, however, but are 30 minutes or less via train (not subway) from Manhattan.

Newark is an area you need to know well to navigate, since the city spans many demographics. I don't think that car insurance would be less in Newark than parts of the city, except Brooklyn where it's just about guaranteed to be higher. One other thing to consider, if you're not a fan of traffic, then you definitely don't want to drive from NJ to Manhattan or through to Brooklyn. Newark does have PATH access, which is a plus.

I drive, so I understand not wanting to give up your car, and many New Yorkers own cars.

Tarrytown might be another place to consider in Westchester, but it still would have a limited local nightlife scene.

I would also check out Stamford as it does have a bit more in nightlife and cultural events, partially due to the university. You would be about an hour from Midtown, perhaps reliably now as the New Haven Line's new cars are phased into service. And, in Stamford, you are not far from White Plains or Norwalk (SONO - bear the aquarium) for other restaurant/entertainment venues.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-03-2011, 02:35 AM

33 posts, read 133,088 times
I don't understand. What are you looking to study? As a fellow student, I find it confusing that you're looking to enter colleges based solely on affordability / driving proximity to the city.
And how much is "affordable"? Would you consider having roommates? A studio? Are you looking to live close to the school or also commute to it?

Old 03-03-2011, 02:43 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
Look into New Brunwick , Hoboken , Downtown Jersey City. White Plains , Newark , and New Rochelle are abit quiet at times and have very little in Nightlife.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianktn View Post
I don't understand. What are you looking to study? As a fellow student, I find it confusing that you're looking to enter colleges based solely on affordability / driving proximity to the city.
And how much is "affordable"? Would you consider having roommates? A studio? Are you looking to live close to the school or also commute to it?
I will study criminal justice, "affordable" is whatever considered affordable by local standards comparing to "non-affordable or less affordable" I cannot say what would be affordable for me cuz I don't live there and don't know the market.
No roommates, no studio
I need to live close enough to school to drive there within 20 min

Would Riverdale be suitable for that?

Old 03-03-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Look into New Brunwick , Hoboken , Downtown Jersey City. White Plains , Newark , and New Rochelle are abit quiet at times and have very little in Nightlife.
Ok, but they seem close to each other anyway, if I find a place to live cheaper and better than other places, I could just hop in my car from Newark, for example, and go to Jersey city for the nightlife.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:44 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemiroff View Post
I will study criminal justice, "affordable" is whatever considered affordable by local standards comparing to "non-affordable"
No roommates, no studio
I need to live close enough to school to drive there within 20 min

Would Riverdale be suitable for that?
But what school do you plan on going? I would get into a school then work out living arrangements. Why not live AT school.

I attended school in the city and some people commuted from Jersey or Long Island but those where people who lived out there with their families. Everyone else just made it work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City