Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 03:05 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,366,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Save our kids: How hip hop corrupts young lives like Afrika Owes'

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/20...frika_owes.jpg
Afrika Owes is arraigned in Manhattan Supreme Court as part of a bust 14 people allegedly affiliated with the "2 Mafia Family" and "Goons on Deck" gangs.

Afrika Owes was a 17 year old with everything going for her. A precocious child growing up in Harlem, her talents were not deferred but frequently rewarded: She attended basketball camps, sang in the choir at Abyssinian Baptist Church, ...
Moderator cut: Copyright issue: A snippet and link to the article, not full text.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-22-2011 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: Copyright issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 03:11 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
i know right i suppose is hop hop is to blame for the kids in burbs who run up in schools and kill 10 people or happily overdose on drugs with no remorse of themselves.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:25 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Whatever happened to individual responsibility?? It's hip hop's fault she was slanging guns for her loser bf? I didn't see rock get blamed when those columbine kids shot up a school.
We live in a society that imitates art. (monkey see = monkey do) Rap/Hip Hop/TV/movies have a great influence on the youth. You can go to any urban city and ever surburbs and see the majority of the youth portraying their fav rapper, rap group, local crime lord, tv character etc. In the end, it was her fault.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:44 PM

468 posts, read 1,337,916 times
Hip hop has been garbage for over a decade now.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:36 PM

106 posts, read 205,671 times
Hip Hop does have an effect just like everything else. I know that cause it did affect me. Having said that, it did not affect me in a real negative way (on the opposite it helped me during rough times), and I don't think it can make you hit the streets and sell crack. It might reinforce it somehow, but it is life overall, not only music, that shapes you, as well as your decisions. If you will be broke as ****, aint no telling what you will be down to do, no matter what you listen to. As for this girl, along with similar others, she just exercised poor judgment and surrounded herself with the wrong people. As for Hip Hop getting some blame, maybe, but it is what it is, you take the good with the bad. It ultimately comes down to your upbringing and situation around you, not a set of headphones. With this kind of logic, more blame should be put on violent, killing, torture movies and games like "Call of Duty" and "Grand Theft Auto", which look like they would have a stronger effect, since they give you visual aids too. I don't see huge protests against that though. Of course it is easier to point a finger at a minority rapper than a big, powerful corporation.

Last edited by nemiroff; 02-27-2011 at 07:48 PM..

Old 02-27-2011, 08:47 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
Default hip hop as sold be the record industry is idological subversion

Those in the position to sell culture do have a responsibility. When hip-hop dancing, breaking, writing and rapping was usurped by the record companies and sold back to the youth by suburban guys like Rush Simmons and Rick Rubin they started selling degeneracy back to the people. This was no accident.

What was once a party culture was turned on its head and became about self destruction. this self destruction was brought about by glorifying drug distribution, elevating the pimp to the head of the social strata and the replacement of God with the worship of money. Hip hop stopped the black liberation movement on a dime.

At one time the ideal black man was the Malcolm X the Stokley Carmichael who took matters of liberation into their own hands and demanded a space for the black man in society; oftentimes a separate space. This did not mesh well with the cultural mandarin's intergrationalist/sexually degenerate social program.

Hip hop was the cultural mandarin's revenge on the black man for taking up arms. Instead of the "freedom fighting insurgent" like the black panther the ideal black man became the parasite. The pimp that enslaves women. The dealer that sells drugs to his people and the selfish fool that makes babies and is no where to care to for them. This is what hip-hop sells. It is pure revenge on the black man for breaking with the civil rights movement. It all ties back to the late 1960's and the black break with the white Shepherded civil rights movement to more violent movements like the Nation Of Islam and the Black Panthers. The way to break the black man was not to take him on but turn him and the worst of his passions against himself.

It was like they took the worst of the Victorian English empire -addicting China to heroin/industrial age worship of Mammon- then sold to modern kids. The kids accepted this TV culture in lockstep and it traped more young minds than are able to break free from the ubiquitous influence of mainstream media culture. The culture is everywhere, from TV, internet, respected professors, to school to games; with this unanimous acceptance it takes a person of notable cultural awareness to be able to see past this BS and identify it for the ideological subversion that it is.

This is why it is not good to be immersed in the culture of today. It is truly a backwater garbage culture that promotes many different strains of idiocy. Those that are married to this age will soon be a widow. The mainstream culture is nothing less than a salvo in a clandestine culture war.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:52 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
This girl is so obviously bi-racial (black/white). I wonder if she wasn't trying to "prove" how "black" she is by running guns or drugs or whatever she was doing for her thug piece of Moderator cut: Inappropriate language "boyfriend". Trying to prove she's not a "sellout" and has "street cred" and all the other ignorant and stupid nonsense they preach in "da hood". I'm sure she'll be a "star" in prison.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-22-2011 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language

Old 02-27-2011, 09:15 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times
I'm trying very hard to feel sorry for her.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:52 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
This girl is so obviously bi-racial (black/white). I wonder if she wasn't trying to "prove" how "black" she is by running guns or drugs or whatever she was doing for her thug piece of Moderator cut: Inappropriate language "boyfriend". Trying to prove she's not a "sellout" and has "street cred" and all the other ignorant and stupid nonsense they preach in "da hood". I'm sure she'll be a "star" in prison.
That's a very good point. She may have been going through the tragic mulatto thing for sure, but on another note...I am also sick and tried of hip hop music getting blamed for ghetto behavior. I listen to rap music all the time, but I never engaged in this type of nonsense, if you wanna "blame" somebody blame the person responsible I know it's a new concept, but we should give it a try...and finally..LMAO to the media using the term "street gangs" to describe what basically is a group of wannabe thug kids acting reckless...BIG difference.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-22-2011 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 02-28-2011, 04:16 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Those in the position to sell culture do have a responsibility. When hip-hop dancing, breaking, writing and rapping was usurped by the record companies and sold back to the youth by suburban guys like Rush Simmons and Rick Rubin they started selling degeneracy back to the people. This was no accident.

What was once a party culture was turned on its head and became about self destruction. this self destruction was brought about by glorifying drug distribution, elevating the pimp to the head of the social strata and the replacement of God with the worship of money. Hip hop stopped the black liberation movement on a dime.

At one time the ideal black man was the Malcolm X the Stokley Carmichael who took matters of liberation into their own hands and demanded a space for the black man in society; oftentimes a separate space. This did not mesh well with the cultural mandarin's intergrationalist/sexually degenerate social program.

Hip hop was the cultural mandarin's revenge on the black man for taking up arms. Instead of the "freedom fighting insurgent" like the black panther the ideal black man became the parasite. The pimp that enslaves women. The dealer that sells drugs to his people and the selfish fool that makes babies and is no where to care to for them. This is what hip-hop sells. It is pure revenge on the black man for breaking with the civil rights movement. It all ties back to the late 1960's and the black break with the white Shepherded civil rights movement to more violent movements like the Nation Of Islam and the Black Panthers. The way to break the black man was not to take him on but turn him and the worst of his passions against himself.

It was like they took the worst of the Victorian English empire -addicting China to heroin/industrial age worship of Mammon- then sold to modern kids. The kids accepted this TV culture in lockstep and it traped more young minds than are able to break free from the ubiquitous influence of mainstream media culture. The culture is everywhere, from TV, internet, respected professors, to school to games; with this unanimous acceptance it takes a person of notable cultural awareness to be able to see past this BS and identify it for the ideological subversion that it is.

This is why it is not good to be immersed in the culture of today. It is truly a backwater garbage culture that promotes many different strains of idiocy. Those that are married to this age will soon be a widow. The mainstream culture is nothing less than a salvo in a clandestine culture war.
amen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: