Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 05:07 PM

4 posts, read 14,936 times

Advertisements

Due to the Snow Rain and Wind the roof of my garage collapsed, damaged my car and now i have 100's of lbs of wood, cement and tar just sitting there. Now that the weather is nicer i see more rats roaming around, probably because of the disaster. Its been like this for a 2 1/2 weeks now, and I've been thinking of getting a Container and dumping all the garbage. Do i need a permit to put a Container inside my property? What should i do first? I bought the house 5 years ago (1st time buyer).This is the first time something like this has ever happened to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 05:09 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Depends on where you live.Each city or town might have different rules.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:23 PM

I live in Astoria Queens.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:32 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Then you should call the city to find out what to do.If one of your neighbors files a complaint before you take it upon yourself to do something you will probably get a big fine for letting it go so long already.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:36 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,308 times
Oh honey I feel for you but be glad you weren't in it when it collapsed and your house is ok.

Don't clean up anything until you first:

Take pictures and lots of them.

call your Homeowners Insurance Agent right away if you haven't already you might have coverage for at least part of the bill for damage. They will want you to get estimates for damages other than your car and to replace the roof.

Look for any receipts from when the collapsed roof was installed. The Insurance Co will want to make sure it isn't too old to pay for the damage.

Call your local municipal clerk and ask them if you need a permit to clean it out, they will direct you to the right department. I personally would wait to see if the roofer or contractor will remove all the debris as they will likely have to get a permit to put on a new roof anyway.

Take deep breaths and try to be patient.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:50 PM

Well i got screwed really bad with the garage. Found out the garage was illegally built, with no permits. The previous owner happened to widened the garage and get away with it. Got me really fed up, and frustrated. Homeowners insurance isn't covering the damage because of the illegal extension. Geico covered the car completely which i was very happy about. Took lots of pictures just in-case. I have no clue who is my local municipal clerk, im thinking of calling the building dept in the city. My neighbors are pretty cool and they even gave me a hand in taking valuable things out from the garage. They feel my pain and they're both very nice neighbors. Thanks everyone for your feed back and your knowledge.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:37 PM

589 posts, read 1,220,890 times
Contact 311 they should be able to help you in regards to whether you need a permit or not.

You do however need to abide by all parking rules for the trailer. You cannot leave it out on the street however leaving it in your driveway without touching the sidewalk should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City