U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:44 PM

468 posts, read 724,085 times
Some people get really uncomfortable when you ask them where they are from.
They are ashamed to admit they are not originally from New York City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 02:11 PM

316 posts, read 549,205 times
Once you are familiar with the subway you can position yourself so that when you reach your stop you are near the exit stairs; now you can get up & out fast and not get stuck behind a moseying herd.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:58 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,811,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The doors open automatically and stay open if you touch the yellow strip. They are very heavy and difficult to open if you donít touch the strip. Most people struggle with the doors unnecessarily.
I'll press the strip harder next time I take a bus (once every couple of months).

Old 03-08-2011, 07:40 AM

75 posts, read 73,967 times
I was born and raised in NYC and have never lived outside the boroughs ever. All of the above are good points. I will add some:

1. Don't leave valuables in your car where others can see them. Don't go to a parking lot and put a bag in your truck and go into the store. Common sense but I see this all the time.

2. When in Dunkin Donuts or whatever, have your money ready, order and take your change and move out of the way. If not, you'll get tripped over (at least the one near where I work this is true!!!)

3. Don't stare into a persons eyes. If they stare at you, look away. Otherwise it can be preceived as aggressive.

4. Don't feel bad if a door isn't held for you, most times people just are not paying attention.

5. You can order take out any time of night, but the later it is, the longer that chicken has sat (common sense again!)

Old 03-25-2011, 08:54 AM

11 posts, read 13,545 times
bump

Old 03-25-2011, 04:18 PM

4,502 posts, read 7,707,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post

Those doors are too heavy for me, sometimes it takes a few pushes. That's what I get for being 100lb.
You don't have to push the door. You simply TOUCH the yellow strip and the doors automatically opens. My daughter is 5'6" and all of 90 lbs (if that) and she has no problem with it.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:10 AM

38 posts, read 39,851 times
How about don't wander around Crown Heights with your ipod plugged in at 5am damn hipsters dont know ****.
Dont get in my way when Im trying to get to work blabbing on about the thai noodle place you just went to in the east village...****ing tools

Do enjoy the old relics of NY such as Mars Bar instead of calling it a dump and being snob realize maybe before its too late to enjoy that **** before another boring bland Murray hill style bar comes below 14th st and brings with it dull bridge and tunnel types who get drunk and sing vitimin c songs all night....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City