U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:00 AM

3,410 posts, read 2,523,622 times
It think it's heat that kills them easier than cold. Throwing clothes in the dryer gets them hot enough to die. putting stuff in a car with the windows up on a hot summer day is also and old trick. At huge dry sauna for other belongings would be ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 09:54 PM

1,467 posts, read 799,461 times
Henna, do you have any suggestions on how to deal with bed bugs? I am so stressed out after reading more about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Check your own site that you posted and you will see that in order to freeze them out, the whole apartment would have to be kept at 32 degrees for an extended period of time. How many NYC apartments are you going to be able to get to and keep at 32 degrees (just by opening windows) for an extended period? The answer is none.

I could post any number of links to entomology websites, but I'm not going to bother.

If all anyone had to do to get rid of bedbugs is open their windows in the winter, do you think NY would be having the kind of epidemic that it's having?
The answer is no.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:24 PM

393 posts, read 438,071 times
Oh shoot, 7%. That means if you sleep with 14 people at their place, one of them has bedbugs, and then you get bedbugs. and 14 is not an unreasonable number for a young New Yorker, over a year or so. I'm going to have to start bagging my clothes when I get home and heating them... apparently that's the only way to get rid of them is heat. ohmygodohmygodohmygod I'm surprised I haven't been afraid of bedbugs before reading this. I'm going to be paranoid for weeks now.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:28 PM

872 posts, read 1,201,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Future View Post
I saw something that said if you do intend to go to a hotel (even a fancy one - which are not immune) to leave your bags in the bathroom on the tile floor - according the article (I do not have) they don't "usually" travel across the tile - so there is less of a chance of you bringing them home. Dont know if it is true, but I never forgot it.
You def want to keep your bags away from the bed as much as you can and preferably up off the floor.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:30 PM

One thing you can also do to help is check your bed once you get into the hotel room. Check under the matress and comforter. You might not see any living ones but you could see dead ones which means the living ones are not far away.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:37 PM

I think I've been lucky. I've stayed at NYC hotels 5 different vacations (usually 2-3 nights each) and I've never experienced any.

Are they easy to see? I know they are small but you can see them right?

Old 08-29-2011, 07:36 AM

10,976 posts, read 9,950,318 times
They are not easy to find unless you loook pretty thoroughly...they hide. Adults go between an eight and a quarter inch so they are easily spotted if you look in the right place.

Pull off a sheet quickly and follow the rolled seam of the mattress and spring all the way around opening it a bit with your finger. A bright LED flashlight will help. Look for bugs, bloodspots, and feces (reddish brown.) Have Scotch tape handy so that if you spot a bug stick the tape to it and go down to the desk with your evidence.
Demand either a new room (if you're brave or desperate or exhausted) or get a refund and go elsewhere.

If the mattress and spring are clean odds are good the room is okay.

I haven't been in a hotel room in a long time and I'm not looking forward to one either.

I'm a bit paranoid about BB's so every time I get a mosquito bite (I'm a magnet) I rip apart the bed and do a Sherlock Holmes, without the pipe. Two apartments...so far so good.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:57 AM

9,122 posts, read 3,413,704 times
I actually saw a bedbug crawling on the back of someones shirt on the train.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
They are not easy to find unless you loook pretty thoroughly...they hide. Adults go between an eight and a quarter inch so they are easily spotted if you look in the right place.

Pull off a sheet quickly and follow the rolled seam of the mattress and spring all the way around opening it a bit with your finger. A bright LED flashlight will help. Look for bugs, bloodspots, and feces (reddish brown.) Have Scotch tape handy so that if you spot a bug stick the tape to it and go down to the desk with your evidence.
Demand either a new room (if you're brave or desperate or exhausted) or get a refund and go elsewhere.

If the mattress and spring are clean odds are good the room is okay.

I haven't been in a hotel room in a long time and I'm not looking forward to one either.

I'm a bit paranoid about BB's so every time I get a mosquito bite (I'm a magnet) I rip apart the bed and do a Sherlock Holmes, without the pipe. Two apartments...so far so good.
Oh wow! Great advice about the tap. I had always wondered how I would handle a situation if all the evidence I had was word of mouth. But if I get it stuck to tape and take it down it will be hard for them to ignore that.

That's also why I try and stay at Holiday Inn hotels. Because they are a large franchise they do not want to have issues like this so it would be easier to get another room. Where as some other hotel might just give you the run around.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:32 AM

357 posts, read 241,289 times
Is this still as bad a problem this summer as it was last summer? I don't see any media frenzy right now and figured if there were anything frightening to go on, they would be all up in arms about it. This summer so far, haven't seen a thing, either a bedbug or a complaint about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City