Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 08:08 PM

16 posts, read 39,015 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

I'll be graduating soon and making the move to NYC over the summer. To get a head start on finding a place, I figure I'll visit the city over spring break to get a feel for the different areas and apartments within my range (My range is between $1200-1800, either with or without a roommate). Also, I'll be working in Midtown East, so something relatively close would be ideal (a commute less than 20 minutes).

Does anyone have tips on how I should go about this process? Should I make appointments with brokers or just walk around the city and go directly to management offices for buildings I'm potentially interested in? Also, what areas would fall within my price range and be close to Midtown East?

I've heard Midtown East itself, Murray Hill, Midtown West, Hell's Kitchen, and FiDi might be potential living areas with lower than average rents (relative to Manhattan) and short commuting times to Midtown East.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 08:12 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,807,065 times
I would suggest that you get a broker you should be able to give them the parameters and they should be able to find you something; the only bad part is that they may say that you're in one neighborhood and you aren't.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:16 PM

242 posts, read 1,181,968 times
The areas that you mentioned are not really cheap at all- You can probably find a studio in Hells Kitchen for that price range, but not much else. In your range you should definitely be looking for roommates or outer boroughs. Astoria/Long Island City is a quick commute to midtown.

Edited to add: That price range is really big. How much can you actually afford to spend?

Old 03-06-2011, 08:18 PM

756 posts, read 2,274,252 times
All the neighborhoods you've mentioned are pretty different... You should first decide what's important to you in a neighborhood. Do you like going out for drinks or dinner? Are parks important? Greenmarkets? Do you want to be surrounded by young college grads or more established professionals?

You could get a studio in most Manhattan neighborhoods for the top of your budget, but you'd have more space/neighborhood options if you found a roommate.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:41 PM

769 posts, read 2,046,204 times
I can give you my broker's information if you DM me. He can show you apartments in FiDi in the upper end of your range. These would be studios in luxury buildings with stainless steel appliances, concierge, doormen, on-site gym, etc.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:49 PM

I haven't considered Astoria until recently. But being able to walk to work since I'll be getting in early and leaving late would be a huge plus. How much of a commute is Astoria to Midtown?

Yea, I enjoy drinks/dinner/going out on weekends. Parks would be nice, but really aren't necessary. Nightlife and having the amenities of a big city nearby (dry cleaner, restaurants for a quick lunch, pharmacies, bars/clubs, gym, etc) are more important. I'll be 22 once I move in, and would prefer to be surrounded other young professionals. I'd like to feel like I'm with people closer to my age, but at the same time, don't want to feel like I'm still in college.

I'll be working for a well-known financial services firm, but would rather save $ on rent until I know the city better, which is why the price range may seem rather large.

Thanks everyone, keep the advice coming! I need to be ready when I head to the city in 2 weeks!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:56 PM

Thanks newyorker, dm sent.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:46 PM

115 posts, read 393,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
I can give you my broker's information if you DM me. He can show you apartments in FiDi in the upper end of your range. These would be studios in luxury buildings with stainless steel appliances, concierge, doormen, on-site gym, etc.
Why would you need a broker for those types of buildings? Just walking up to the leasing office might be better

Old 03-07-2011, 05:37 AM

769 posts, read 2,046,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds2001 View Post
Why would you need a broker for those types of buildings? Just walking up to the leasing office might be better
If you do not know where they are you need a broker. A lot of the buildings he showed us do not advertise much. We did a ton of research before meeting with him and still did not find some of those buildings with online searches.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:42 AM

756 posts, read 2,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
If you do not know where they are you need a broker. A lot of the buildings he showed us do not advertise much. We did a ton of research before meeting with him and still did not find some of those buildings with online searches.
Yeah, I've noticed that a lot of the buildings with management offices in them are not heavily advertised online unless you know the building's name or management company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City