U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-10-2011, 01:18 PM

11 posts, read 10,629 times

Advertisements

Hello there!

I just registered for this forum with a question about a particular area of Brooklyn. A little background: I am a huge fan of deceased rapper Notorious BIG, and I came across this last night:

http://newyork.timeout.com/things-to...he-biggie-walk

Now, I already planned to visit NYC in May with a friend, but I'm thinking I'd really like to go on this walk (take pictures, put together a collage/memorial, etc.). But, since I have never gone to NYC before, I was wondering if the areas listed in the link would be safe to visit.

I appreciate any advice you can provide for me.

Thanks so much - love the forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 11:33 AM

1,120 posts, read 991,794 times
Please detail the exact areas/streets of this "Biggie walk." Notorious BIG is from Bed-Stuy, so I'm assuming most of it will be in that neighborhood.

While this walk sounds very informative and adventurous, I would advise you not to walk around Bed Stuy with camera around neck and journal in hand.

Bed Stuy is still considered a dangerous neighborhood, regardless or what sections and streets you are on.

People of different colors/races are able to co-exist in this neighborhood, because they understand the etiquette of Bed Stuy. They know how to walk, when to cross the street, and when to put their head down. Conversely, they also know how to smile and when to say hi.

It sounds like you have never been to NYC, nevermind Bed Stuy, and therefore you will stick out like a sore thumb.

But definitely post the route this walk entails... sounds intriging.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post
Please detail the exact areas/streets of this "Biggie walk." Notorious BIG is from Bed-Stuy, so I'm assuming most of it will be in that neighborhood.

While this walk sounds very informative and adventurous, I would advise you not to walk around Bed Stuy with camera around neck and journal in hand.

Bed Stuy is still considered a dangerous neighborhood, regardless or what sections and streets you are on.

People of different colors/races are able to co-exist in this neighborhood, because they understand the etiquette of Bed Stuy. They know how to walk, when to cross the street, and when to put their head down. Conversely, they also know how to smile and when to say hi.

It sounds like you have never been to NYC, nevermind Bed Stuy, and therefore you will stick out like a sore thumb.

But definitely post the route this walk entails... sounds intriging.
Sure!

Start: 105 Tech Pl between Bridge and Lawrence Sts, Downtown Brooklyn
End: 29 Claver Pl between Fulton St and Jefferson Ave, Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn
Distance: 3 miles
Time: 2.5 hours
1. George Westinghouse High School (105 Tech Pl between Bridge and Lawrence Sts, Downtown Brooklyn) - Where he went to high school.

2. From here, it’s an eight-minute walk to Junior’s (386 Flatbush Ave at DeKalb Ave, 718-852-52573.

3 Nearby Queen of All Saints School (300 Vanderbilt Ave between DeKalb and Lafayette Aves) is where Biggie would daydream about being in urban teen fanzines like Right On and Word Up4. As you walk brownstone-lined Quincy Street, picture a little Biggie here with his mom. Quincy Lexington Open Door Day Care Center (5 Quincy St between Classon Ave and Downing St, 718-638-3400

5. Fulton Street is a mecca for former Biggie hangs. Start at the Golden Krust (918 Fulton St between St. James Pl and Washington Ave, 718-789-1833). Being of Jamaican heritage, Biggie liked his patties spicy. Try a $1.41 D&G ginger beer, the best export outta Kingston since Toots & the Maytals.

6. Biggie’s official “hustle spot” was in front of the DLC Comprehensive Medical Center (979 Fulton St between St. James Pl and Washington Ave, 718-857-1200), formerly the Mayfair Grocery. A few doors down, the Fine Care Pharmacy (981 Fulton St at St. James Pl, 718-857-3499

7. Walk till you reach Biggie’s building (226 St. James Pl between Fulton St and Gates Ave). He lived on the third floor, but spent a lot of time on the roof, where he kept a trunk of polo shirts, more than a dozen size-14EEE kicks and enough bling to blind Flavor Flav

8. The Orient Temple (197 St. James Pl between Fulton St and Gates Ave) is where Barrow says Biggie and his homies performed freestyle at underground parties

9. Before he was Notorious B.I.G., he was a notorious bag boy at Met Food Supermarket (991 Fulton between Cambridge and St. James Pls, 718-636-1620

10. Stop by the Respect for Life Barber Shop (932 Fulton St between Cambridge and St. James Pls, 347-257-2866) to meet Chadler “Guess” Smith. He was the original hair man for Biggie from 1987 until his death.

11. Frank White (936 Atlantic Ave at St. James Pl, 718-622-0840) is an old-world-gone-funky coffeehouse whose name comes from Biggie’s hustlin’ moniker. (That name, in turn, was lifted from Christopher Walken’s character in King of New York.) Customer faves include the Notorious and Lil’ Kim smoothies.

12. Lastly, cruise by St. Peter Claver Parish (29 Claver Pl between Fulton St and Jefferson Ave), where Biggie got disciplined from ages 6 to 12.

http://newyork.timeout.com/things-to...he-biggie-walk

Old 03-11-2011, 03:01 PM

1,120 posts, read 991,794 times
First off, upon some googling - Biggie claimed to be from Bed-Stuy, but was actually from Clinton Hill, so most of this walk actually takes place in Clinton Hill (the neighborhood directly west of Bed-Stuy).

To sum up the walk, the first 2 stops are in downtown Brooklyn, and the next stop is in Fort Green. The rest of the stops are all in Clinton Hill, and only the last stop is actually in the borders of Bed-Stuy.

Downtown Brooklyn and Fort Green are frequented by people of all races, ages, backgrounds etc.

Clinton Hill is beautiful. It's important to remember tho, that Clinton Hill is still in the process of gentrification. There are still blocks and stretches that aren't quite "there" yet. However, the stops that this walk entails, are probably some of the nicest in Clinton Hill. With that being said, still walk with caution and mind your surroundings.

The last stop, located on Claver Place is technically in Bed Stuy. I've never been on this block, but I own a property about 2 blocks away. This area of Bed Stuy is fine by my standards, and I don't think you will have a problem.

I think you should be fine and safe, doing this walk during the daytime and with friends. Just remember that it doesn't matter where you are - if you look confused, lost, or vulnerable - you will be a target in ANY neighborhood.

Hope this information was helpful.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
First off, upon some googling - Biggie claimed to be from Bed-Stuy, but was actually from Clinton Hill, so most of this walk actually takes place in Clinton Hill (the neighborhood directly west of Bed-Stuy).

To sum up the walk, the first 2 stops are in downtown Brooklyn, and the next stop is in Fort Green. The rest of the stops are all in Clinton Hill, and only the last stop is actually in the borders of Bed-Stuy.

Downtown Brooklyn and Fort Green are frequented by people of all races, ages, backgrounds etc.

Clinton Hill is beautiful. It's important to remember tho, that Clinton Hill is still in the process of gentrification. There are still blocks and stretches that aren't quite "there" yet. However, the stops that this walk entails, are probably some of the nicest in Clinton Hill. With that being said, still walk with caution and mind your surroundings.

The last stop, located on Claver Place is technically in Bed Stuy. I've never been on this block, but I own a property about 2 blocks away. This area of Bed Stuy is fine by my standards, and I don't think you will have a problem.

I think you should be fine and safe, doing this walk during the daytime and with friends. Just remember that it doesn't matter where you are - if you look confused, lost, or vulnerable - you will be a target in ANY neighborhood.

Hope this information was helpful.
Wow, thank you so much! Definitely more information than I even anticipated.

This walk really does mean a lot to me (still remember the day he passed away - and I was only 7 years old), and it's nice to know that I *shouldn't* have much of a problem.

Thanks again!

Old 03-11-2011, 05:50 PM

27,930 posts, read 14,160,756 times
Quote:
This area of Bed Stuy is fine by my standards, and I don't think you will have a problem.
I walked in a few parts of Bed-Stuy before. Out of curiosity, which are considered the safer or "better" parts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City