Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 09:30 PM

19 posts, read 33,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
I'm in the "don't get discouraged" camp, rather than the side that's going to shoot you down—people move here and make it every day. Just be smart.
It's actually kind of interesting to hear people not tell me I'm an idiot for wanting to move to NYC.

I don't know how it was for other people born outside the city, but the people in my world don't really see too far beyond their own front lawns. In a perfect world, I'd have been gone a long time ago, but I had to make sure I was healthy before I tried anything.

I know I'm a college-educated adult, but we all still like to know we have some support -- no matter how old we are. That's a little hard to come by for me, so I appreciate the encouraging words!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
My boyfriend and I (two people!) spend about $300 total per month on groceries... That affords us meals at home every night per week (good meals, at that), and typically, leftovers for lunch. Obviously, we spend much more on food as we eat out sometimes too, but I imagine that a single person could eat well on $150 per month if they never ever ate out.

Anyway, I wouldn't move here without a job either. Do you know anyone in the city? If so, just using their address on your resumes could help you get in the door as far as interviewing goes. The job market is tough everywhere, but this is the capital of marketing/advertising/PR so you have a better chance of landing something here than almost anywhere else.
I have some sort of relatives (my cousin's aunts and uncles) who live in very nice places in Manhattan. They're really cool people, so I might check to see if they'd, at the very least, let me use one of their places for an address.

I just worry that an employer would see my previous work experience and my current address and wonder if I'm trying to pull one over on them.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:39 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,577,826 times
Quote:
My boyfriend and I (two people!) spend about $300 total per month on groceries...
you must be one sharp shopper and/or a coupon queen

Old 03-10-2011, 09:40 PM

28 posts, read 67,783 times
I would advise NOT going straight into the city without anything lined up... but if you need the adventure, do not just loaf around, take a part time job ANYWHERE cause cash eats up so fast in New York City it's not even funny. Jobs are plentiful in New York City, they just don't pay enough so that you can afford to live in New York City, haha!

Any cash flow will help alleviate the savings you have, and will extend your stay. Or help, you can look at the cash you earn part time as your "eating" money and worry about expenses with your savings. But do not just put all your efforts into finding a job... someone quoted you 6-7 months before you run out of money, I think more realistically it would be 4-5 months. Although, I don't have the mental fortitude to do $150 a month on food.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:15 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,191,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinKSU View Post
I just worry that an employer would see my previous work experience and my current address and wonder if I'm trying to pull one over on them.
YES- this will happen. What happens when you get called for an interview and they want to see you that week. Do you have $700 to blow on last minute airfare so you can keep the lie going? If they catch your lie, don't you think they'll wonder what else on your resume you "bent" the truth?

I got a job in NYC right out of college (Texas) with an employer who doesnt even college recruit outside the northeast. You need to network smarter & harder because people hire people they know (or friend's of friend's, former colleagues of friend's, etc). You say your resume doesn't "pop" - it's going to have to if you want to be noticed and don't have a big enough network.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
YES- this will happen. What happens when you get called for an interview and they want to see you that week. Do you have $700 to blow on last minute airfare so you can keep the lie going? If they catch your lie, don't you think they'll wonder what else on your resume you "bent" the truth?

I got a job in NYC right out of college (Texas) with an employer who doesnt even college recruit outside the northeast. You need to network smarter & harder because people hire people they know (or friend's of friend's, former colleagues of friend's, etc). You say your resume doesn't "pop" - it's going to have to if you want to be noticed and don't have a big enough network.
What would you recommend? Are you saying it'd be easier if I just moved there and had a permanent address that I was living at?

Old 03-11-2011, 12:48 AM

589 posts, read 1,217,252 times
Not worth it to attempt to move to NYC with a degree in English pursuing journalism. Even the nytimes was struggling financially and had a large layoff.

If you want to move to nyc either
a) pursue a different career field (law school may be a good option) but achieve this in your home town.
b) prepare to work random jobs like grocery stores, delivery, restaurants with a lack of job security as the amount of teenagers willing to do these for cheap are plentiful.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:41 AM

233 posts, read 718,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post

a) pursue a different career field (law school may be a good option) but achieve this in your home town.
b) prepare to work random jobs like grocery stores, delivery, restaurants with a lack of job security as the amount of teenagers willing to do these for cheap are plentiful.
I'm not sure that law school is a good idea, unless the OP gets accepted into a highly ranked program; and even then, there have been plenty of posts on the forum saying that there are a lot of unemployed/under-employed attorneys.

The OP has an education, is saving money, and appears willing to live frugally, so why discourage this one from moving to NYC. So many post here wanting to move to NYC with no education, no written communication skills, and not a cent in the bank. As long as OP has a plan if job search doesn't work out in 4-5 months, what's the harm?

Old 03-11-2011, 08:13 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,057,212 times
Quote:
My boyfriend and I (two people!) spend about $300 total per month on groceries... That affords us meals at home every night per week (good meals, at that), and typically, leftovers for lunch. Obviously, we spend much more on food as we eat out sometimes too, but I imagine that a single person could eat well on $150 per month if they never ever ate out.
That's interesting but it means nothing if you are spending additional money going out to eat. If you ever have a month where you buy nothing out (including coffee) then please come back and let us know how much you spent.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:41 AM

32 posts, read 81,865 times
I agree with loratliff. I'm single. I spend about $100 - $150 on groceries a month. What are you guys getting at the grocery store that is so expensive?

Also, why would someone without a job get a monthly metrocard for over $100? I go into the office a couple days a week and I only buy the 'pay as you go' cards.

I also started out in journalism in NYC. Came with no job. Sent my resume from my out-of-state address and did temp work until I found a steady full time job that paid well. This is not an endorsement for coming to New York with nothing. Best case scenario, come with Bill Gates like money, but if you don't have that.... humility is always free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City