U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 01:42 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,401,130 times

Advertisements

Having a crazy roommate is a rite of passage in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 02:24 PM

755 posts, read 1,337,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
Speaking of, Refinery 29 posted this just yesterday: NYC Subletting Horror Stories- Worst Subletting Stories

Old 03-17-2011, 02:51 PM

3,487 posts, read 2,793,579 times
I think Ohio's main export is 20-somethings to either Chicago or NYC

Old 03-17-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
So true. Having a roommate at some point that's either a huge drama king/queen, or just flat out over-medicated and insane is nearly a given.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinKSU View Post
Hey guys and gals,

I'm currently a full-time journalist making way too little money and working way too many hours. It's a situation that I've been trying to get out of for a long time, but I had to fight through some real bad health problems in the past few years. I needed the insurance, but now I'm in the clear and I'd like to make a new break.

Some info on me:

- Currently in Ohio.
- I'm going to be 26 on Saturday.
- I'll have about 7-10k in the bank when I move.
- I have a degree in English.

I've been looking at some neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens over the past few months, but I don't have anything specific in mind for an apartment. I don't mind and actually look forward to the idea of having roommates again, so that's not an issue with housing.

My problem is I'm not sure how long $7-10k in savings can realistically last me in a city like New York.

I'm not looking to get back into journalism in the city and a career more in marketing/advertising/copy writing seems more likely for me. I know the job market is terrible and NYC probably has thousands of people fighting for those jobs.

I feel like I have to *be* in the city for any HR person to even give my resume a second glance, so that's why I'm planning to move, lined up job or not. I don't expect to ever be rich with an English degree -- I just don't know how long it'll take before I'm broke and living out of a cardboard box.

Has anyone moved to the city without a job? What kind of tips do you recommend?

See if you can arrange to be laid off from your current job, whether by voluteering to do so, or through a negotiated deal. The point is to try and get yourself eligible for unemployment if at all possible, but this requires cooperation your current employer may or may not be willing to give you. If not, leave on good terms with proper notice, in case you need to go crawling back at some point.

In the meantime, check jobs on CL and contact them if something looks interesting. True, they likely won't take you seriously if you're up front about not being a local, but they may say check back with them when/if you do relocate. These are now as good a leads as any.

Find a cheap room to sublet in the $600-700/mo range. 95% chance they'll ask for first and last month's rent, so account for that. Do not sign any leases under any circumstances. Roommates can be fun but it's also a bit of a lottery as to whether they're going be insane or not. (Keep in mind insane people *love* New York, so your chances of getting one are higher than elsewhere)

Don't just troll craigslist or other job boards for leads...actively seek out employers you'd be interested in working for and make every attempt you can to put your name in front of the right person. Often there are jobs out there that aren't even advertised because many companies do need somebody to do *something*, but loathe wading through the crap they need to wade through with CL or headhunter agencies to find right person. (Or at least someone who doesn't completely suck.) Buy yourself a nice suit if you don't already have one. Don't be too picky. A job that pays something today is better than a hypothetical job that pays better tomorrow, because you have no idea when (or if) that will be. Once you have a job it's easier to find a better job later.

Don't waste your money on shopping or partying or eating large. There's time enough for that later if you can manage to avoid crashing and burning in the meantime. Don't sign up for any expensive gym memberships...go explore on foot or by train if you're bored. An unlimited monthly MetroCard though, is a wise purchase that can also double as mild entertainment.

Last edited by UrbanAdventurer; 03-17-2011 at 04:30 PM..

Old 03-17-2011, 03:52 PM

4,217 posts, read 5,030,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I think Ohio's main export is 20-somethings to either Chicago or NYC
Nah, us Ohioans are afraid of the big bad city. They all want to move to NC or SC.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:53 PM

19 posts, read 16,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Nah, us Ohioans are afraid of the big bad city. They all want to move to NC or SC.
Are you in NYC now? If so, how are things going for you?

Old 03-17-2011, 07:31 PM

4,217 posts, read 5,030,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinKSU View Post
Are you in NYC now? If so, how are things going for you?
Yes, for almost 2 years now. Everything is good. I came for school, and just finished and am beginning my job in a month.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:27 AM

347 posts, read 424,370 times
Colin-

NYC is the greatest place in the world. Many people from the midwest/south have a fear of NYC, for whatever reason. Don't let those small-minded fools stop you from pursuing your dream.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:51 PM

19 posts, read 16,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
Colin-

NYC is the greatest place in the world. Many people from the midwest/south have a fear of NYC, for whatever reason. Don't let those small-minded fools stop you from pursuing your dream.
Thanks a lot, PsychDoc. I appreciate the kind words.

I said it before, but I was worried about even posting here. I've been to New York quite a bit in my life, but I've never really talked to people about what it's like to live there. I didn't know what I'd hear, but I'm happy to see so many positive responses and people willing to share their experiences with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City