U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 04:49 PM

3,249 posts, read 3,293,822 times
We are overdue for a big one. Considering that NYC buildings are not earthquake resistant, and that most will crumble, I don't think there will be many of us left to loot anything. Those who survive, will have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 04:52 PM

18,885 posts, read 7,072,816 times
Absolutely!

Old 03-13-2011, 05:10 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,737,373 times
RE: Possibility of an earthquake hitting NYC...

I remember watching some special on PBS or some science channel (can't remember) a loooong time ago...10-15 years ago...and they were saying how there is a catastrophically giant fault line somewhere underneath Manhattan and it's only a matter of time before we have a quake that makes the big ones in California look like nothing.

I can't wrap my head around what would happen. What would happen to the skyscrapers? The ESB? How would the East and Hudson Rivers react? What about the bridges and tunnels? How big of a radius of damage would there be around the epicenter of Manhattan? Would all the outer boroughs be affected? Long Island? North Jersey? Portions of southern Connecticut and New York State?

Old 03-13-2011, 05:13 PM

215 posts, read 301,087 times
5.5 is not catastrophic. Some old building could probably collapse, but it will not cause widespread destruction. The probability of magnitude >= 6 is around 7% in 50 years.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:22 PM

5,539 posts, read 1,015,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
RE: Possibility of an earthquake hitting NYC...

I remember watching some special on PBS or some science channel (can't remember) a loooong time ago...10-15 years ago...and they were saying how there is a catastrophically giant fault line somewhere underneath Manhattan and it's only a matter of time before we have a quake that makes the big ones in California look like nothing.

I can't wrap my head around what would happen. What would happen to the skyscrapers? The ESB? How would the East and Hudson Rivers react? What about the bridges and tunnels? How big of a radius of damage would there be around the epicenter of Manhattan? Would all the outer boroughs be affected? Long Island? North Jersey? Portions of southern Connecticut and New York State?
Here's an article published in 2008 by Columbia University regarding the probability and potential aftermath of an earthquake affecting the NYC area.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:05 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,737,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photography View Post
Here's an article published in 2008 by Columbia University regarding the probability and potential aftermath of an earthquake affecting the NYC area.
Thanks for this link. Wow. That made for some very, very interesting, and somewhat terrifying, Sunday night reading.

"The probability is not zero, and the damage could be great,” he said. “It could be like something out of a Greek myth.”

Yikes.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:19 PM

27,479 posts, read 20,916,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
We are overdue for a big one. Considering that NYC buildings are not earthquake resistant, and that most will crumble, I don't think there will be many of us left to loot anything. Those who survive, will have to.
That info I saw in the NYS museum said that a 5.5 wouldn't necessarily collapse buildings, but it would cause potentially major damage to the infrastructure, particularly everything below ground--the subway system, water, utilities, etc.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:31 PM

8,385 posts, read 7,395,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
The bedrock may absorb some of the energy from the earthquake in parts of Manahattan. Some buildings will be able to with stand a quake but for the question is how powerful of a quake and how long a quake lasts can loose the bolts and rivets in buildings and make them collapse like the twin towers!

Old 03-13-2011, 07:34 PM

3,249 posts, read 3,293,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The bedrock may absorb some of the energy from the earthquake in parts of Manahattan. Some buildings will be able to with stand a quake but for the question is how powerful of a quake and how long a quake lasts can loose the bolts and rivets in buildings and make them collapse like the twin towers!
Actually, the bedrock will intensify the force of a quake. Hopefully, we won't get one for a loooonnnnnng time.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:44 PM

10,725 posts, read 8,604,416 times
Quote:
Can New Yorkers behave as well as the Japanese?
Sure they can. They did pretty well during the Blackout in 2003 that effected most of the northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City