Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2007, 01:35 PM

8 posts, read 70,135 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am in the process of moving to the NYC metro area from VA and have thought about the Westchester area. I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on the ease of the commute from New Rochelle to Grand Central and also the cost?
I want to move to a nice half-way quiet neighborhood within a 45 commute of the city.

Thanks

L
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 02:54 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,964,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lreid001 View Post
Hello All,

I am in the process of moving to the NYC metro area from VA and have thought about the Westchester area. I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on the ease of the commute from New Rochelle to Grand Central and also the cost?
I want to move to a nice half-way quiet neighborhood within a 45 commute of the city.

Thanks

L
New rochelle offers a nice commute to midtown, but New rochelle is not the nicest place, do your research before commiting to anything there

Old 11-06-2007, 07:40 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,639,693 times
You can find the train schedules and prices for Westchester destinations on the Metro North website.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:09 AM

81 posts, read 615,541 times
There are some very nice sections of New Rochelle. You can definitely find what you are looking for there and the commute to GCT is should get you there in 30 minutes or so.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:14 AM

81 posts, read 615,541 times
Sorry...forgot to add the commute is fine and a monthly ticket will run you about a $159 a month.

Check out the MTA site for more details mta.info | Metro-North Railroad.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 36,294 times
Could anyone please let me know what train or subway lines I could take to New Rochelle from JFK?
I so do not want to take a taxi.
Thanks so much.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:11 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,390,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucongi View Post
Could anyone please let me know what train or subway lines I could take to New Rochelle from JFK?
I so do not want to take a taxi.
Thanks so much.
New Rochelle has limited Amtrak service to Penn Station, but if the times work for you, the train to Penn will allow you to get on the LIRR to Jamaica, where you can transfer to the AirTrain. That route would take a long time, and with few trains from New Rochelle, might not be convenient.

I would suggest taking Metro-North to Grand Central Terminal, and then catching the NYAS bus to JFK. The bus is $15 to JFK, and MNRR is less expensive than Amtrak, which ranges from $26+ depending upon train and ticket class. MNRR is $7 to $9.25 purchased at the station, non-peak or peak, but is $15 if purchased on the train, so MNRR and the bus is equal to the cost of Amtrak to Penn. And, with fewer transfers, it would be the easier route to avoid taking a cab.

New York Airport Service Transportation - JFK- LGA- Manhattan

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-27-2011, 01:17 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
New Rochelle has limited Amtrak service to Penn Station, but if the times work for you, the train to Penn will allow you to get on the LIRR to Jamaica, where you can transfer to the AirTrain. That route would take a long time, and with few trains from New Rochelle, might not be convenient.

I would suggest taking Metro-North to Grand Central Terminal, and then catching the NYAS bus to JFK. The bus is $15 to JFK, and MNRR is less expensive than Amtrak, which ranges from $26+ depending upon train and ticket class. MNRR is $7 to $9.25 purchased at the station, non-peak or peak, but is $15 if purchased on the train, so MNRR and the bus is equal to the cost of Amtrak to Penn. And, with fewer transfers, it would be the easier route to avoid taking a cab.

New York Airport Service Transportation - JFK- LGA- Manhattan
The OP wants to go TO the airport not from the airport. Your comments are the opposite.

To the OP,there is the private bus service into the city, directly to the Grand Central Area. At Grand Central you can take a Metro North commuter train to New Rochelle.

Most people just take a cab. I suggest you do so also. Unless you are extremely strapped for cash.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:03 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,390,804 times
Well, forgive me the directional issue, but the bus and MNRR run in both directions, so regardless as to direction it's a to/from proposition.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-27-2011, 10:00 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
1.Take the JFK Airtrain from JFK to Jamaica (5 mins)
2. Transfer to the E Train (follow the signs)
3. Take the E Train to Lexington Ave - 51st Street and transfer to the 6 Train (25mins)
4. Take the 6 Train to Grand Central - 42nd Street (2 mins)
5. Take the MNRR New Haven line from Grand Central to New Rochelle ( 45 mins)

Should cost you between 12$ for everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City