U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2011, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,348 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I recently graduated Mechanical Engineering and just received two job offers. One is Technical Support Engineer supports sales team and customers with technical expertise; the other is Mechanical Engineer I mechanical engineering design for the petro-chemical industry.

The Technical Support position pays more but I am concerned that there is not a lot of engineering involved in it and it might be harder to use the experience later in life when I look for another engineering position. What is your opinion about Sales/ Technical Support Engineering in general is it a good direction to take as far as advancement, opportunities and compensation go?

Thank you,
Edgar B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 08:36 AM

470 posts, read 772,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarB View Post
Greetings,

I recently graduated Mechanical Engineering and just received two job offers. One is Technical Support Engineer supports sales team and customers with technical expertise; the other is Mechanical Engineer I mechanical engineering design for the petro-chemical industry.

The Technical Support position pays more but I am concerned that there is not a lot of engineering involved in it and it might be harder to use the experience later in life when I look for another engineering position. What is your opinion about Sales/ Technical Support Engineering in general is it a good direction to take as far as advancement, opportunities and compensation go?

Thank you,
Edgar B.
There's probably a better forum somewhere for this kind of question (maybe try physicsforums? they have a good career guidance forum). I'm not an engineer--just a physics student--but I personally would prefer to get experience with actual engineering for my first job if I were graduating with an engineering degree. Common sense tells me that you would get more valuable experience that way than you would if you were just doing tech support, even if the tech support you're doing is advanced. I think it boils down to: which are you more interested in, design or support?

I suggest taking your question to physicsforums. It's mostly physicists on there, but there are a lot of engineers too.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:10 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,078,502 times
I'm an electrical engineer. Given all things equal (job security feelings, location, etc) if it came down to purely money and possible future career path I'd choose the Mechanical Design Engineer. You are right in your thinking that you will get so much more in depth knowledge than the Technical Support Engineer. You may get more money now with the Technical Support Engineer (probably because you have to talk to customers) but the Mechanical Design Engineer has way more potential for future salary growth and knowledge. Good luck Nice to see there are still people interested in engineering in the US

Old 03-15-2011, 12:10 PM

34 posts, read 47,118 times
I'd also choose the engineering position - I'd also strongly suggest you get your PE. Many more opportunities for advancement - and $$ - with the license.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:57 PM

9,562 posts, read 10,302,330 times
What are the job requirements for both?

I would suggest taking the Mech Engineer I position. That sounds like a tradiational engineering role for a person with a BSME. Pay might be lower, but you will move up the ladder pretty quick if you move hard.

The other position just sounds like one of those psuedo "engineering" positions where the term engineer is incorrectly used. Sounds like you would mostly be in the sales field. While initial pay might be higher, might not be more room to advance. Do they require an engineering degree? A 4-year or 2 year?

BTW I am a design engineer that began as an Mech Eng. I

EDIT: and yes I am the idiot who clicked on a link at the bottom of another thread and posted to a 3 year old thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City