U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 11:50 AM

11,298 posts, read 14,819,369 times
Default how would you compare

8th avenue and W 47th street in Manhattan(my post with the druggies/tranny hooker) compared to the other locations cited if it were 1979? would that location still seem safer because it's in midtown and not in the boros?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 12:24 PM

813 posts, read 290,831 times
I wonder why a high percentage of these involved black dudes even thought some of the areas have as many whites and hispanics living them. I guess its the racism of bad expectations.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:26 AM

107 posts, read 118,140 times
Ok, I'm naive. What am I supposed to be scared of? Am I gonna get bashed because I'm white? Or because I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time? I'm not scared of being robbed, I've got nothing worth taking. I'm a tourist and I've read articles where the occasional tourist has been shot, but what are the odds that it will be me? I was thinking that I could come to NYC, go where I want, when I want and be ok so long as I mind my business, pretty much like anywhere else in the world. This has been my attitude everywhere else in the world I've been including LA and San Fran in the early 90's. Am I really just being naive?

Old 04-26-2011, 12:14 PM

5,062 posts, read 11,449,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
8th avenue and W 47th street in Manhattan(my post with the druggies/tranny hooker) compared to the other locations cited if it were 1979? would that location still seem safer because it's in midtown and not in the boros?
Peak murder rate for Times Square was as bad as anywhere in the city. So yes, murder wise, it was among the very worst. I assume robberies where even more high.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:13 PM

2,739 posts, read 3,187,869 times
@ bigdaz it depends on where you go sight-seeing... NYC is a big place and probably 95% of this big city would be okay for you to visit at reasonable hours... The thing with this thread is that it is specifically geared towards scary stories in NYC... I'm sure if someone were to post scariest moments in LA there would be a ton as well...

To be honest, from what you can see hear, unless you're not visiting the absolute worst NYC has to offer you'll be okay to visit as a tourist... the scary stories of tourists getting mugged or worse are few and far between...

Old 04-26-2011, 03:51 PM

6,061 posts, read 8,890,677 times
A couple months ago -- an empty subway station. We were halfway back to Manhattan from a Chinese buffet restaurant in Flushing, NY, where I ate and then became ill. I told my daughter I really needed a restroom and needed to stop at the next station. We did, and it was the scariest place I've ever been. Empty, dark, and decrepit. It would have made a great movie set for a horror film.

We started to leave the station to find a restroom anywhere, and that was even scarier. I insisted we return to the station and wait for the next train. I was never more scared -- and uncomfortable.

I felt perfectly comfortable everywhere else -- in Manhattan.

OH! And the second scariest time during that trip was taking an unregistered taxi that originated in Chinatown (and came to my daughter's apartment upon her request) to bring me from lower Manhattan to JFK at 4 am in HALF AN HOUR, going, at times, 85 mph, no exaggeration. I thought I was gonna die. It cost me $5 less than a registered taxi.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 04-26-2011 at 04:01 PM..

Old 05-01-2011, 10:48 AM

136 posts, read 153,224 times
No where. Walk with awareness and confidence. Use common sense. Be alert, but stay calm. No reason to be nervous anywhere unless things are clearly about to pop off. Even in "bad" neighborhoods, you'll be good (barring bad luck...but that can happen literally anywhere) if you know whats up.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:32 AM

107 posts, read 118,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn's Finest View Post
No where. Walk with awareness and confidence. Use common sense. Be alert, but stay calm. No reason to be nervous anywhere unless things are clearly about to pop off. Even in "bad" neighborhoods, you'll be good (barring bad luck...but that can happen literally anywhere) if you know whats up.

Call it selective reading but that's exectly what I wanted to read! It was what I'd planned for my visit to NYC.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:39 AM

136 posts, read 153,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaz View Post
Call it selective reading but that's exectly what I wanted to read! It was what I'd planned for my visit to NYC.
It's the caution you should exercise anywhere you happen to be. It kind of peeves me when people bring up being scared to walk through certain neighborhoods...or ask if a neighborhood is "good" or "bad". Just me though.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:43 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,137,344 times
The good parts of SI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City