U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-16-2011, 10:30 AM

7 posts, read 7,754 times
Default Upper East Side Apartments

Hey Guys!

Can somebody please talk me through the Upper East Side area of Manhattan? Where are you likely to find modest apartments that aren't too flashy or expensive (maybe in $4000 range)? I've heard Yorkville is nice. A friend of mine is thinking about moving to the city. She's well off, and as I'm thinking about moving to Long Island myself, it would be good if I could learn a bit about the area. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 04:26 PM

8,081 posts, read 10,647,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferGlass View Post
Hey Guys!

Can somebody please talk me through the Upper East Side area of Manhattan? Where are you likely to find modest apartments that aren't too flashy or expensive (maybe in $4000 range)? I've heard Yorkville is nice. A friend of mine is thinking about moving to the city. She's well off, and as I'm thinking about moving to Long Island myself, it would be good if I could learn a bit about the area. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jen
For $4,000/mo, your friend can afford to live pretty much anywhere on the UES except for the super-exculsive co-ops on Park & 5th Aves.

She should easily be able to find a very large 1/1 (800-1100sf) or a 2/2 in the same sqaure footage in a doorman, high rise building for $4k & under. Probably not a Trump building, but many many exclusive buildings to choose from! She should also be able to find an apartment or floor for rent in a townhome if she is looking for something with more architectural detail and a "homey" feeling.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:30 AM

Wow, thanks! Where are the best townhouses on the UES?

Old 03-17-2011, 10:42 AM

238 posts, read 578,337 times
Quote:
Wow, thanks! Where are the best townhouses on the UES?
On side streets between Park and 5th ave. Good luck.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:38 PM

9,304 posts, read 15,222,254 times
If your friend wants more of a neighborhod feel, she should look at Carnegie Hill. Her budget is in line for an apartment in a townhouse there, and some are very nice. It can get a bit congested with school arrivals/dismissals, due to the number of schools in the area, but it is very much a distinctive neighborhood on the UES that does have some charm.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-18-2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
If your friend wants more of a neighborhod feel, she should look at Carnegie Hill. Her budget is in line for an apartment in a townhouse there, and some are very nice. It can get a bit congested with school arrivals/dismissals, due to the number of schools in the area, but it is very much a distinctive neighborhood on the UES that does have some charm.

Oh, sounds good. What makes it so distinctive? Any cool landmarks?

Old 03-18-2011, 10:15 AM

215 posts, read 297,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
For $4,000/mo, your friend can afford to live pretty much anywhere on the UES except for the super-exculsive co-ops on Park & 5th Aves.

She should easily be able to find a very large 1/1 (800-1100sf) or a 2/2 in the same sqaure footage in a doorman, high rise building for $4k & under. Probably not a Trump building, but many many exclusive buildings to choose from! She should also be able to find an apartment or floor for rent in a townhome if she is looking for something with more architectural detail and a "homey" feeling.
4k is a bit low for 2/2 in a doorman building. Maybe if it is on York or East End Ave.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:31 AM

9,304 posts, read 15,222,254 times
Quote:
Oh, sounds good. What makes it so distinctive? Any cool landmarks?
The Cooper-Hewitt Museum is a landmark in the neighborhood, and one from which it takes its name as it was the Carnegie Mansion. The Guggenheim Museum is in Carnegie Hill, roughly Central Park to Madison/Lexington, and to 96th at Lexington, and just to the south of Mount Sinai from the park to Madison. Another museum, The Jewish Museum, is housed in the former Warburg Mansion, and numerous other mansions and townhouses have been turned into schools. The neighborhood has a very active preservation association, and is recognized historic district status, controlling further development in the neighborhood. What that imparts is a sense of scale, as it's decidedly an old New York neighborhood, missing many of the large apartment towers that characterize so much of the UES, not to mention its proximity to Central Park.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-18-2011, 04:34 PM

3,236 posts, read 2,997,742 times
Generally, the further east you go, the cheaper the rents are.

But $4000 for what? I'd normally consider $4000 wildly expensive, unless you're housing a big family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City