U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:07 AM

5 posts, read 4,289 times
Default Any APTS in East Village area take 3 dogs?!?

Hi everyone!
My husband has been in NYC for 6 weeks at his new job searching for an apartment that will take our 3 dogs. Two are about 60-65 lbs and the third is 11lbs. All very well behaved and trained. We are running out of time on his sublet out there and I can't move out from CA. until we find a dog friendly spot. Any pointers or leads on places that will take 3 dogs? I have read various people finding these hidden gems and would love any detailed information. Of course we would love to stick around East Village, where he is subletting now, but beggers can't be choosers, right? Rent isn't so much of an issue as much as finding a place that can accommodate is.

We actually signed a lease yesterday for a spot in East Village, and the landlord called today and decided he wasn't comfortable with three dogs. Lovely, right?

And leaving our dogs behind is not an option - they are our children, so I appreciate helpful tips that don't include "don't bring your dogs" - I read that a lot in these forums, and we would never consider giving our pets away for a move!

Thank you all so much, we are in a desperate situation and appreciate all your help. Many blessings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 11:35 AM

755 posts, read 1,277,400 times
I would just continue seeking out pet-friendly apartments that you like and going from there. Perhaps vet references or references from previous landlords could convince a reluctant landlord that you are responsible dog owners?

Most people on this forum make it seem like it's incredibly difficult to find a spot that takes dogs, but I didn't have any issue (although I admittedly only have one 12-lb. dog). More places seem to accept them than not; it's just three that might be tricky. Like I said, if I were a landlord, having good pet references would set my mind at ease.

Also, I totally understand not wanting to leave them. I knew people who were shocked when I said I was bringing my dog and I still get the occasional incredulous, "You have a dog in the city!?" But my dog has lived in an apartment since he was a pup and is happier here than ever—the abundance of dog runs and sights and smells on the street is a veritable doggie heaven! Good luck!

Old 03-16-2011, 11:48 AM

Thank you so much, loratliff. I'm trying to send our letters of rec. from previous landlords and neighbors to the landlord who backed out on us, along with video of my dogs so that they see how well behaved they are. I appreciate your positive response - I'm hopeful!

Thanks again!

Old 03-16-2011, 11:50 AM

2,054 posts, read 1,315,901 times
You can check no fee and fee websites like nybits.com (site has a pet friendly section by neighborhood) and streeteasy.com for apartments. We had two animals when we moved to Manhattan. I had no luck after weeks of trying finding an apartment on my own through Craigslist or any websites. We found a great apartment in a lovely brownstone after three days through Corcoran brokers, but paid a 15% annual rent fee. I wish you success soon. You will find a home for your whole family with hard work.

We have a 65 pound dog and two cats.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:50 AM

6,046 posts, read 7,101,379 times
I think most apartments wont accept one dog, let alone 3.

Just saying. Sucks, but that may very well be the case for a lot of places. Face it- dogs are loud and messy.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnabawna View Post
Thank you so much, loratliff. I'm trying to send our letters of rec. from previous landlords and neighbors to the landlord who backed out on us, along with video of my dogs so that they see how well behaved they are. I appreciate your positive response - I'm hopeful!
Yeah, I was going to recommend letting your prospective LL meet the dogs in person, but then I realized you're not yet in NY, so a video is a great way to do that. I totally understand LL's concerns. There are just too many people who are irresponsible with their dogs.

Also, I'm not recommending that you be dishonest, but if you don't *need* to specify that you have three dogs, then don't. When I moved into my building, it was as simple as asking my broker/the management company, "are dogs allowed?" They have never asked for a pet deposit or to know anything else about my dog, so one could realistically have three dogs in my building with no issues.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:53 AM

Thank you so much texan2yankee. I really appreciate the leads!

Yes, I am wondering if we should just mention the 2 dogs (3 does sounds like a lot) and not mention the 11lb dog from here on out. Going to hope that letters and video will be enough to convince this landlord for the place we signed for. Very frustrating - haven't seen my husband in 6 weeks and won't be able to move out there until we find a spot for all of us! Thanks again!

Old 03-16-2011, 11:56 AM

6,046 posts, read 7,101,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
Yeah, I was going to recommend letting your prospective LL meet the dogs in person, but then I realized you're not yet in NY, so a video is a great way to do that. I totally understand LL's concerns. There are just too many people who are irresponsible with their dogs.

Also, I'm not recommending that you be dishonest, but if you don't *need* to specify that you have three dogs, then don't. When I moved into my building, it was as simple as asking my broker/the management company, "are dogs allowed?" They have never asked for a pet deposit or to know anything else about my dog, so one could realistically have three dogs in my building with no issues.
OP could be the most responsible owner in the world. That won't prevent it from barking (unless you're going to muzzle it 24/7) or pooping in the hallway or elevator.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:58 AM

460 posts, read 404,325 times
Dogs can be loud and messy but so can humans!! Offer a good pet deposit on those landlords that are on the fence about it.. go with a reputable broker with a lot of pet friendly apartments on their site. You'll find something, don't worry.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
OP could be the most responsible owner in the world. That won't prevent it from barking (unless you're going to muzzle it 24/7) or pooping in the hallway or elevator.
Yes, it does. Dogs don't just poop everywhere and bark constantly unless they're allowed too. My dog knows when he can "speak" and when he can't and he also knows that using the bathroom inside if off-limits. He has plenty of daily walks to relieve himself and play. It's really not science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City