U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 09:09 PM

483 posts, read 668,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvillian718 View Post
Nah East Harlem is still a dump and crime ridden. How about Upper East Side?
You can't paint the whole neighborhood of East Harlem with the same brush. Not all of it is bad. There are parts of it that is safe and affortable! OP, visit both areas and speak with the residents and then you can make up your own mind. You may miss out on a great apt on a good block because some people think that all of E. Harlem is a dump that is crime ridden!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 09:40 PM

13,752 posts, read 29,171,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman91 View Post
Yeah, I remember reading an article about East Harlem in the National Geographic from 1990 and I was scared by how dangerous it was. I heard it's better now, though.
1990? Why even bring that up....thats over 20 years ago.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-21-2011, 01:48 AM

417 posts, read 461,825 times
I grew up in Inwood from ages 5-24. West of Broadway is good, East of Broadway is ****! Especially that stretch of Sherman Ave. between the diagonal intersection on Broadway and Dyckman St. Post Ave. is ****ty, too.

Washington Heights is the same, West of Broadway is good, East is crummy, especially Audobon Ave. which is pure ****.

Pardon my profanity but, those areas are of the worst quality.

East Harlem, I know a little less about, it really is block by block quality differences there, which as you know in NYC block are like 150-200ft.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:02 AM

9 posts, read 14,842 times
I lived and still frequent Inwood. In my opinion if it were between Inwood and East Harlem I would go with Inwood. West of Broadway, Inwood is beautiful. Easy access to Inwood Hill Park and the A train at 207th Street. Plenty of shops on Broadway as well. East of Broadway is less earthy-looking than West of Broadway. However, I dont think it is AS bad as some make it seem. There is plenty of foot traffic on Dyckman Street. Post, Sherman, and Vermilyea Avs are very urban with buildings one right after the other and nothing else. Sherman Av has businesses but Vermilyea and Post do not. Nagle Avenue is noisy because the 1 train runs above ground and currently all Bronx Bound 1 trains skip Dyckman Street because of construction. This really sucks because this is a heavily used station along the 1 Line. All in all, it really depends on the type of person you are. If you dont plan on hanging out in front of stoops and what not then you should not have ANY problems. Everyone goes about their business in my opinion. The summer time is naturally more noisy as more people are outside. Cars will play their radios LOUD til the early morning on weekends. Some grow used to it some dont, so that is why I say it depends on the type of person you are. Now East Harlem is just riddled with constant crime, crackheads that roam the streets, and just people looking for trouble. I say this because I had a close friend who lived in East Harlem and it was NEVER a pleasant trip over on that end. The walk from Lexington Av where the train is located sucks. But again that may not be a problem for you. Check out both of the neighborhoods but if you asked me, Id go with Inwood.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:46 AM

1,362 posts, read 1,353,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
I grew up in Inwood from ages 5-24. West of Broadway is good, East of Broadway is ****! Especially that stretch of Sherman Ave. between the diagonal intersection on Broadway and Dyckman St. Post Ave. is ****ty, too.

Washington Heights is the same, West of Broadway is good, East is crummy, especially Audobon Ave. which is pure ****.

Pardon my profanity but, those areas are of the worst quality.

East Harlem, I know a little less about, it really is block by block quality differences there, which as you know in NYC block are like 150-200ft.
LOL, i currently live in Audubon and i can confirm that it is pure ****. You can't forget about St, Nick too. I can't wait until July for my lease to expire.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:17 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,411,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanguy07 View Post
I lived and still frequent Inwood. In my opinion if it were between Inwood and East Harlem I would go with Inwood. West of Broadway, Inwood is beautiful. Easy access to Inwood Hill Park and the A train at 207th Street. Plenty of shops on Broadway as well. East of Broadway is less earthy-looking than West of Broadway. However, I dont think it is AS bad as some make it seem. There is plenty of foot traffic on Dyckman Street. Post, Sherman, and Vermilyea Avs are very urban with buildings one right after the other and nothing else. Sherman Av has businesses but Vermilyea and Post do not. Nagle Avenue is noisy because the 1 train runs above ground and currently all Bronx Bound 1 trains skip Dyckman Street because of construction. This really sucks because this is a heavily used station along the 1 Line. All in all, it really depends on the type of person you are. If you dont plan on hanging out in front of stoops and what not then you should not have ANY problems. Everyone goes about their business in my opinion. The summer time is naturally more noisy as more people are outside. Cars will play their radios LOUD til the early morning on weekends. Some grow used to it some dont, so that is why I say it depends on the type of person you are. Now East Harlem is just riddled with constant crime, crackheads that roam the streets, and just people looking for trouble. I say this because I had a close friend who lived in East Harlem and it was NEVER a pleasant trip over on that end. The walk from Lexington Av where the train is located sucks. But again that may not be a problem for you. Check out both of the neighborhoods but if you asked me, Id go with Inwood.
Those are some of the worst drug blocks in the city. I rank them top 5. Take a look at post...dyckman & Post - Google Maps

now, how dense and ugly can you get? there is an immense amount of drug trafficking there. Scroll over to the adjacent blocks same thing.

Crime is higher in East Harlem, but Inwood has more drug activity east of Broadway.

I third the Audobon notion, it is terrible.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:44 AM

9 posts, read 14,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Those are some of the worst drug blocks in the city. I rank them top 5. Take a look at post...dyckman & Post - Google Maps

now, how dense and ugly can you get? there is an immense amount of drug trafficking there. Scroll over to the adjacent blocks same thing.

Crime is higher in East Harlem, but Inwood has more drug activity east of Broadway.

I third the Audobon notion, it is terrible.
Yes, there is drug activity in Inwood, but my point is that if you are minding your business you will not have any problems. I know this first hand as I lived right on Academy & Post Av. You run into problems if you are involving yourself in the illegal activities that can take place. IMO, I rather have this than guns poppin off in East Harlem which happens VERY often, especially in the summer time.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:03 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,411,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanguy07 View Post
Yes, there is drug activity in Inwood, but my point is that if you are minding your business you will not have any problems. I know this first hand as I lived right on Academy & Post Av. You run into problems if you are involving yourself in the illegal activities that can take place. IMO, I rather have this than guns poppin off in East Harlem which happens VERY often, especially in the summer time.
I can somewhat agree with this. East Harlem is too crime filled for me.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:18 PM

172 posts, read 262,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNina View Post
Hello,

I want to move to Manhattan in May, I'm looking for a one bedroom (or studio, if it's decent size and in a good bldg/neighborhood. I can only spend about $1300 per month (ideally less, though I could go up to $1,500 based on my income, but I'd have to live on a very tight budget).
Have you thought about living outside of Manhattan? For $1300-1500 you could get a one bedroom in Queens that would be much bigger, and in a much nicer neighborhood, than anything you're going to get for that price in Manhattan. Depending on where your job is it might even be a quicker commute.

You haven't said much about your situation, so this may not apply to you, but one of the recurring themes on this forum is transplants who refuse to consider any borough except Manhattan and end up making themselves miserable by moving to a rough uptown block that they aren't prepared to handle. Don't be that person -- if you're on a budget you can improve your quality of life immensely by living in Queens, an "unhip" part of Brooklyn or even one of the nice parts of the Bronx.

EDIT: I just saw your other post where you said you're moving to Manhattan from one of the boroughs. But in general I think this is good advice so I'm going to leave it here.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:41 PM

383 posts, read 1,094,552 times
dudes in east Harlem go hard. I've had buddy get shot out there last year. Just goin to vist his sister who stays out there. shes tryin to move right now. Dudes ran up on my buddy try to his jacket and shoe dude try to fight back ended up gettin shot in his left arm. This was winter 2010.
I've been hearin also that even with all the work people have been putting in central harlem its turning into crap again. What people are tryin to do is take hood elements outta central harlem, but you really can't. you can try to make it look nice but does that mean people aren't gunna keep goin crazy. bloomberg makes me laugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City