Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 01:28 PM

22 posts, read 62,655 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I want to move to Manhattan in May, I'm looking for a one bedroom (or studio, if it's decent size and in a good bldg/neighborhood. I can only spend about $1300 per month (ideally less, though I could go up to $1,500 based on my income, but I'd have to live on a very tight budget).

I scoped out Inwood, but to be honest I didn't like it too much. The whole thing with there being only some nice blocks bothers me, it was also VERY crowded up there. The only good thing is the price and it being close to the train, this is a major consideration for me. I will be living alone and I enjoy relative piece and quiet.

I am also wondering about East Harlem and Manhattanville. What are the price ranges like here? Anyone have any advice on safety in these neighborhoods? Should I go with Harlem or Inwood? And can anyone shed some light on pros and cons I should pay attention to in both neighbrohoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 01:30 PM

183 posts, read 458,871 times
Both neighborhoods can get dodgy at night, but if I had to chose between the two I would pick Harlem because it's closer to the city.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:28 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNina View Post
Hello,

I want to move to Manhattan in May, I'm looking for a one bedroom (or studio, if it's decent size and in a good bldg/neighborhood. I can only spend about $1300 per month (ideally less, though I could go up to $1,500 based on my income, but I'd have to live on a very tight budget).

I scoped out Inwood, but to be honest I didn't like it too much. The whole thing with there being only some nice blocks bothers me, it was also VERY crowded up there. The only good thing is the price and it being close to the train, this is a major consideration for me. I will be living alone and I enjoy relative piece and quiet.

I am also wondering about East Harlem and Manhattanville. What are the price ranges like here? Anyone have any advice on safety in these neighborhoods? Should I go with Harlem or Inwood? And can anyone shed some light on pros and cons I should pay attention to in both neighbrohoods?
Hi Nina,

The west of washington heights is nice and safe. The east can be hood-like in certain areas. In my opinion, 177 to 190 west of broadway is quiet and safe. I suggest taking a trip on to East harlem and check it out for yourself. Go on a friday and saturday night to check out the spots. If you have a driver's license, you should rent a car so you can scop out the places.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:48 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman91 View Post
Both neighborhoods can get dodgy at night, but if I had to chose between the two I would pick Harlem because it's closer to the city.
Unless you are moving West of Broadway in Inwood, Harlem hands down all things being equal.

East of Broadway in Inwood turns into a zoo you may never get any sleep in the summer time.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:04 PM

483 posts, read 853,970 times
I just moved into East Harlem and the block that I'm on is not bad. For these areas, you literally have to look at it block by block cause one might be decent whereas further up the block or the next block might be dicey. When you visit (and do this day and night), ask people what's it like on the block, ask them is it quiet at night and do they feel comfortable at all hours.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:11 PM

730 posts, read 2,053,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandle View Post
I just moved into East Harlem and the block that I'm on is not bad. For these areas, you literally have to look at it block by block cause one might be decent whereas further up the block or the next block might be dicey. When you visit (and do this day and night), ask people what's it like on the block, ask them is it quiet at night and do they feel comfortable at all hours.
Don't forget to ask people how is the area during the summer compared to the other months.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:15 PM

518 posts, read 1,579,593 times
ALWAYS look for housing in the summer - the cold keep the idiots indoors.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:45 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
This is impossible to answer because Harlem is too big and has too much diversity in neighborhood types.Some Harlem neighborhoods are nicer than most(but not all) of Inwood but many Harlem neighborhoods are much worse than Inwood.

East Harlem has some of the highest crime areas in the entire city so if it was between Inwood and East Harlem ,I think the quality of life is much better in Inwood....and the rents are cheaper.

The parts of Harlem that I might prefer over Inwood are not listed as options so I have to go with Inwood.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:07 PM

183 posts, read 458,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

East Harlem has some of the highest crime areas in the entire city so if it was between Inwood and East Harlem ,I think the quality of life is much better in Inwood....and the rents are cheaper.

The parts of Harlem that I might prefer over Inwood are not listed as options so I have to go with Inwood.
Yeah, I remember reading an article about East Harlem in the National Geographic from 1990 and I was scared by how dangerous it was. I heard it's better now, though.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:10 PM

383 posts, read 1,315,569 times
Nah East Harlem is still a dump and crime ridden. How about Upper East Side?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City