Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 11:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,122 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone ,

I am currently in the US Army however will be switching to reserve status to stabilize family and finish my degree. Upon a friend's advice who is a successful broker I pursued my Real estate license which I really didn't consider taken seriously.

Although I still have a obligation to my country and school i am actually enjoying real estate. I was working for my friend she never had time to teach me anything kept informing me that Real estate was cut throat and no one will ever teach my anything. I value our friendship but i have morals and integrity I am not a cut throat person so i looked for a new office since I couldnt get much training from her. She was a great friend but only had time for herself business wise so it thought it was the best approach. Suprisingly I now have my first listing was only doing rentals before (with mainly city programs) which I didn't particularly enjoy.

Now I feel like I am doing my seller a disadvantage even though he is a good friend of mine , money is not everything I want to be able to help him the way he needs me. However I am inexperienced which I fully disclosed but luckily time is on my side to learn due to my rank an my position at this moment I can run out an assist if he needs me a few mins ealy and etc.

I have been signing up for many programs for training & when I do try to ask any other agent for help they want to take my whole listing which I am young but not dumb ( 7 years in military and going ). I mean how can one do a good job for a company if you have to worry about everyone in house taking avantage. My friend said I am too pure for this business should I just reconsider and give up any leads I have untill I become more established.

So excuse my ramblings any advice will be helpful on becoming more experience in real estate or am I over my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 01:27 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Since I see you received no replies here, I wonder - do you think perhaps you should try asking in the Real Estate forum, instead of the New York City forum?

Old 04-05-2011, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,122 times
Actually I am new to this but thanks for your observation!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-05-2011, 05:24 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
There's nothing cutthroat or immoral about aggressively pursuing your client's interests. Your fiduciary responsibility in a listing is to the seller. Therefor, working every possible angle without lying or misrepresenting the deal or the property in order to exact the largest possible amount of money, or in some cases the quickest turnaround, etc. is what you should do.

I am not a RE agent, but I did it for a short time many years ago. I was very successful during that short time. Often, my listing meetings with clients would become contentious, because I would suggest a selling price below what they thought the home was worth. I eventually won them over to my way of thinking, when I would show them the value of moving their home quickly. For instance, they might be able to close on their new home faster, or even beat another buyer to the punch, saving them the time and expense they had invested already, etc. The point is, there are many reasons to hammer people for more money or to seemingly low-ball offers, listings, etc., that have nothing to do with being shady. Many times, if you are doing so in your client's interest and can prove it with rational, value-added logic, you'll earn a client for life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: