U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 07:32 PM

5 posts, read 9,543 times

Advertisements

I just found out that my apartment is rent stabilized and I am paying almost 350 more than the other tenants in the building. The rent was 350 cheaper one year and a half ago but was raised when I moved in. No repairs were made...in fact I painted the apartment once I moved in. The floors are coming up, the kitchen cabinets are old, my bathroom cabinet has been eaten away by water damage, the paint is chipping and I could continue. I have done some research but perhaps someone here can be a little more specific. My main question is can they raise the rent by $350 over a year and a half time period if there have been no major improvements at all done to the interior of my apartment?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 07:46 PM

5,545 posts, read 1,803,811 times
Yes, a rent stabilized apartment has what's called a Vacancy Lease when a new tenant moves in. Take a look at this informative page which will explain exactly what a Vacancy Lease is, as well as a detailed explanation of the percent increase depending on when you signed the lease.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:48 PM

518 posts, read 691,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oncebefore View Post
I just found out that my apartment is rent stabilized and I am paying almost 350 more than the other tenants in the building. The rent was 350 cheaper one year and a half ago but was raised when I moved in. No repairs were made...in fact I painted the apartment once I moved in. The floors are coming up, the kitchen cabinets are old, my bathroom cabinet has been eaten away by water damage, the paint is chipping and I could continue. I have done some research but perhaps someone here can be a little more specific. My main question is can they raise the rent by $350 over a year and a half time period if there have been no major improvements at all done to the interior of my apartment?

Thanks!
You did not say how much the rent was before you moved in. If it was over $2,000 then I believe the apartment is deregulated and the landlord can raise it to the roof, if someone will pay it.

read here NYC Rent Guidelines Board

Old 03-26-2011, 08:12 PM

5 posts, read 9,543 times
It is currently 1050 and it was 706 a year ago.
He actually never gave me a lease I have been renting month to month.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:11 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,765,408 times
By law, you have to have a lease with a rent stabilized apartment. You should also receive a legal rent notice from the DHCR.
New York State Homes and Community Renewal

Old 03-27-2011, 01:03 AM

11,213 posts, read 21,644,524 times
Do you research and find out how to get more information from the DHCR about rental history and why you are being charged 1050. $706 * 1.2 is only $847.

If the landlord is overcharging you, you may be entitled to treble damages (3x what you overpaid)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City