U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:24 AM

9,365 posts, read 15,829,686 times

Advertisements

Let's please stop the debate as to where the thread needs to be put. NYC is the center of the region and the question was posed in a general sense, so until it's specifically directed at a particular suburb, there is nowhere else to put it. Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 11:59 AM

205 posts, read 68,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Well, no matter how many multisyllabic words you use, the bottom line is that questions about the suburbs don't really belong in a city forum.

Yes they do.

Anyway,

OP - what is your budget? That's the most important question here..

Old 03-30-2011, 12:08 PM

28,116 posts, read 14,373,796 times
While this thread belongs here, it might get more informed responses in the suburb sub-forums, where you'll get people more familiar with the suburbs. Some NYers prob know little about the burbs, and have barely visited them.

Nevertheless, the OP won't get any informed responses here until he defines what he wants.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:52 PM

5,475 posts, read 4,979,354 times
LI is beautiful but for a dude without family as myself it could turn in to a hell hole. Neighbors watching behind the curtains and talking behind your back and stuff.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:25 PM

22 posts, read 10,458 times
i heard new nyack, new york is pretty nice

Old 03-30-2011, 04:58 PM

2,900 posts, read 4,701,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
While this thread belongs here, it might get more informed responses in the suburb sub-forums, where you'll get people more familiar with the suburbs. Some NYers prob know little about the burbs, and have barely visited them.

Nevertheless, the OP won't get any informed responses here until he defines what he wants.
Only nit-witted Transplants would have such a narrow experience of the place they live and its surrounds.

Did everyone in NYC arrive yesterday?

NYers, true NYers, Natives know much about their environs. They have relatives, friends, coworkers, as well as many NYers themselves are native to the suburbs and now live in the city; native to the city and now living in the suburbs. Some have homes both in the suburbs and apts in the city.

Soooo, WAKE UP!

Old 03-30-2011, 05:23 PM

28,116 posts, read 14,373,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Only nit-witted Transplants would have such a narrow experience of the place they live and its surrounds.

Did everyone in NYC arrive yesterday?

NYers, true NYers, Natives know much about their environs. They have relatives, friends, coworkers, as well as many NYers themselves are native to the suburbs and now live in the city; native to the city and now living in the suburbs. Some have homes both in the suburbs and apts in the city.

Soooo, WAKE UP!
The condescension is obnoxious.

I'm from the suburbs of NYC. And, yes, I know plenty of people in the suburbs who have family in the city. And I know people from the suburbs who have moved to the city.

But my perception of the city is that there is a large portion of people that don't leave the city much. It'd be silly to ask about NYC in the Long Island forum. Sure, some know a lot about the city, some rarely go there, but you would get more informed responses by being in the NYC forum.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:15 AM

12 posts, read 34,462 times
I only know of suburbs in NY such as: Nassau County and Suffolk County,Long Island,Staten Island and Queens,you can Google map these areas so you can also get a visual of what your looking for.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:21 AM

25 posts, read 61,774 times
I'd be interested in this discussion. I grew up in a suburb of Los Angeles and as a kid it drove me nuts because the 'cool stuff' was at such a remove. So close, yet so far. Even with a car it was a pain to get down to Hollywood, Venice Beach, or anywhere else worth being. The upside was that my area had incredible nature. Half the Westerns you've ever seen, not to mention a great many sci-fi productions, have been filmed there. The show CSI routinely uses it as a stand-in for the outskirts of Las Vegas (the real Vegas outskirts have much less greenery), like when they find a stiff at Lake Mead or something. If I wanted to hike all I had to do was turn the corner and hop a fence and I'd be in the wild.

Here's what I figure a "good" suburb of New York would be:

1. Getting into the actual city by mass transit isn't a huge freakin' ordeal. It took hours to do that where I grew up; you either had a car or you didn't go. This is the most important one. I would want myself and my kids to feel like they weren't trapped in stifling suburbia, so close yet so far away to the actual city. Which is how I always felt growing up in a suburb of Los Angeles.

2. Good schools.

3. Isn't all pre-fab (McMansions, Applebees, etc.). Has some 'character' to it. Or, 'authenticity', to use one of today's buzzwords.

4. You don't have to worry so much about being shot/stabbed/mugged/molested, etc.

5. Is actually in NY state as opposed to NJ or CT. I'd want to be able to say with a straight face that I live in New York while back home or traveling. Or how about New York* (with an asterisk), does that work?

6. Nature isn't far off. You know, trees and bunnies and stuff.

Expected combined household income would be... somewhere in the 80 grand range, maybe? (ETA: plus the rental income from her place back in Italy, which would be... ummmm... well, the place is worth somewhere around four or five hundred thousand Euros. Talk about a lucky break!) I don't need nothin' too fancy, as long as it met the above criteria as much as possible. I'd rather live in the city itself but if a suburb made more sense, I could go with that.

Last edited by Dustville702; 04-13-2011 at 04:54 AM..

Old 04-13-2011, 10:50 AM

9,365 posts, read 15,829,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustville702 View Post
I'd be interested in this discussion. I grew up in a suburb of Los Angeles and as a kid it drove me nuts because the 'cool stuff' was at such a remove. So close, yet so far. Even with a car it was a pain to get down to Hollywood, Venice Beach, or anywhere else worth being. The upside was that my area had incredible nature. Half the Westerns you've ever seen, not to mention a great many sci-fi productions, have been filmed there. The show CSI routinely uses it as a stand-in for the outskirts of Las Vegas (the real Vegas outskirts have much less greenery), like when they find a stiff at Lake Mead or something. If I wanted to hike all I had to do was turn the corner and hop a fence and I'd be in the wild.

Here's what I figure a "good" suburb of New York would be:

1. Getting into the actual city by mass transit isn't a huge freakin' ordeal. It took hours to do that where I grew up; you either had a car or you didn't go. This is the most important one. I would want myself and my kids to feel like they weren't trapped in stifling suburbia, so close yet so far away to the actual city. Which is how I always felt growing up in a suburb of Los Angeles.

2. Good schools.

3. Isn't all pre-fab (McMansions, Applebees, etc.). Has some 'character' to it. Or, 'authenticity', to use one of today's buzzwords.

4. You don't have to worry so much about being shot/stabbed/mugged/molested, etc.

5. Is actually in NY state as opposed to NJ or CT. I'd want to be able to say with a straight face that I live in New York while back home or traveling. Or how about New York* (with an asterisk), does that work?

6. Nature isn't far off. You know, trees and bunnies and stuff.

Expected combined household income would be... somewhere in the 80 grand range, maybe? (ETA: plus the rental income from her place back in Italy, which would be... ummmm... well, the place is worth somewhere around four or five hundred thousand Euros. Talk about a lucky break!) I don't need nothin' too fancy, as long as it met the above criteria as much as possible. I'd rather live in the city itself but if a suburb made more sense, I could go with that.
For ease of commute, you would likely want Westchester, as you have to move far out on Long Island to get away from much of the congestion. The same is true for Lower Westchester, so you would need to look at Northern Westchester for nature. However, if you could deal with a semi-built-up area, I would look to the Hudson shore in Westchester.

Some towns/villages that might be of interest include: Croton-on-Hudson, Dobbs Ferry, and Hastings-on-Hudson. Dobbs Ferry and Hastings can get a bit expensive, however, but should have some options within your budget. Croton will afford the largest house/lot, comparatively, and there are express trains that get to Grand Central in about 45 minutes.

Northeastern Westchester near the Connecticut border, would also be a consideration, but the trains are an hour from Grand Central to Katonah, Goldens Bridge, etc. While the incomes are higher in this area, than your projected range, you would have options in some of the villages, but perhaps not for a house that has its own large lot, etc.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City