Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 03:50 AM

515 posts, read 368,061 times

Advertisements

Some of the best evidence that the tide has not turned against dispersion and suburbanization comes from an unlikely source: New York’s 2010 census results. If dense urbanism works anywhere in America, it does within this greatest of US traditional urban areas.
Before the actual count, the Census Bureau estimated, in large part as a result of a successful historical core municipality (city of New York) challenges, that as of Census Day (April 1, 2010), the city would have added 413,000 residents since 2000 and would have accounted for more than one-half of the metropolitan area growth. But the numbers turned out startlingly different. In fact, the city’s census count came in nearly 250,000 below projections and accounted for the lowest share of New York metropolitan area growth since the 1970s.

The Accelerating Suburbanization of New York | Newgeography.com

Very good article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 05:16 AM

369 posts, read 617,890 times
NYC loses two congresspeople?

Old 03-30-2011, 07:24 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
The Accelerating Suburbanization of New York | Newgeography.com

Good find. Some rep for you. The lure of the suburbs and the american dream is not dead after all. I also put blame on city hall poltics for favoring illegal immigrants and transplants over native new yorkers and also the high cost of living in nyc forces people of all levels of class and race to leave.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:14 AM

956 posts, read 1,207,013 times
Just have to visit the Hudson Valley. There are tons and tons of ex New York City and Long Island people living here. The biggest reasons why? Less traffic, better quality of life and you get more for your money.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:04 AM

499 posts, read 793,552 times
I would never move to Orange County because it's beautiful and wouldn't want to be part of it's natural destruction with oversized tract housing.

The obsession with bigger, cheaper, and more will be the end of us all. I can understand the need to move the burbs for more space and affordability, but certainly one does not have to move to the woods upstate. Best of luck getting from nowhere to nowhere when energy prices rise.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:35 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
The four issues I have are:

1. Frankly I don't believe the census numbers, especially for Queens. Queens numbers came as obvious outlier, officially adding just 1343 people for the whole borough. I'd guess more Chinese people alone moved in over the last decade.

2. The article classifies all areas outside of NYC as suburbs. I highly doubt that people in Newark or New Haven think that they live in suburbs, at least not in a traditional American sense of the word. I think all of the satellite cities should be included in the "urban" category so we are comparing apples to apples here.

3. The article points out our 3.1% "moderate" growth and that it was 3 times less than the country average. But honestly, what did you expect? If NYC metro would have 20% growth like Southern and Western metros than the whole darn country would have to move in here just to sustain this kind of growth.

4. The demographic who has the most influence on slow growth of the city is unquestionably baby boomers, majority of whom only care about low cost of living and nothing else since they are starting to retire now. Just because these people move to South Carolina or out to the boonies in upstate, that doesn't make those places more desirable for living.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:16 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Wasn't the title of that article slightly off the mark? If people are moving to the suburbs at an increased rate--which has yet to be proven beyond contention and speculation--how is that 'suburbanizing' the city? If anything, it's 'urbanizing' the suburbs.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:32 PM

515 posts, read 368,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The four issues I have are:

1. Frankly I don't believe the census numbers, especially for Queens. Queens numbers came as obvious outlier, officially adding just 1343 people for the whole borough. I'd guess more Chinese people alone moved in over the last decade.

2. The article classifies all areas outside of NYC as suburbs. I highly doubt that people in Newark or New Haven think that they live in suburbs, at least not in a traditional American sense of the word. I think all of the satellite cities should be included in the "urban" category so we are comparing apples to apples here.

3. The article points out our 3.1% "moderate" growth and that it was 3 times less than the country average. But honestly, what did you expect? If NYC metro would have 20% growth like Southern and Western metros than the whole darn country would have to move in here just to sustain this kind of growth.

4. The demographic who has the most influence on slow growth of the city
is unquestionably baby boomers, majority of whom only care about low cost of living and nothing else since they are starting to retire now. Just because these people move to South Carolina or out to the boonies in upstate, that doesn't make those places more desirable for living.
In your dreams.Many middle-class workers go to South for jobs opportunities, weather, LOW taxes and AFFORDABLE housing.
I know it's not easy to admit, but it's reality

Old 03-30-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
I would never move to Orange County because it's beautiful and wouldn't want to be part of it's natural destruction with oversized tract housing.

The obsession with bigger, cheaper, and more will be the end of us all. I can understand the need to move the burbs for more space and affordability, but certainly one does not have to move to the woods upstate. Best of luck getting from nowhere to nowhere when energy prices rise.
I used to live in Queens and left the city because the quality of life was horrible and declining dramatically, so I have experience the city life. The city is great for young people and single people finding out what they what in life and who they're as a person, but not when you're married and starting a family.

#1 Orange County is not all "woods". There are rural spots but also plenty of nice downtown areas which are walkability and thriving areas. Plenty of outdoor activities and history areas.

#2 Orange County is not "upstate". We pay MTA taxes, have Metro-North Railroad, in the NYC TV market, and it's 40-70 miles from Manhattan.

#3 Energy costs affects everyone. How does NYC get its goods and supplies delivers to the stores? By truck. A car burns more gas in the city than any place else. Cars hate stop and go traffic.

#4 Orange County has grown by over 150,000 since 1970. It has been the fastest growing county in New York for the past two decades.

#5 There is a lot of protected land so new development is in very controlled areas.

Last edited by OrangeHudson; 03-30-2011 at 02:53 PM..

Old 03-30-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragneel View Post
In your dreams.Many middle-class workers go to South for jobs opportunities, weather, LOW taxes and AFFORDABLE housing.
I know it's not easy to admit, but it's reality
Bingo. Hard to admit for you city people, but young middle class families don't want to live in New York City. You get zero for your money and quality of life is horrible.

Queens is being loaded with Russian Jews and Chinese people. Many of those people probably don't care about the Census.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City