Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 03:58 AM

110 posts, read 219,592 times

Advertisements

I think what nightcrawler is saying is he notices the difference between the immigrants, his family immigrated had the idea to work hard and make money and to conform to the American way of life. And now these russians come and they see the country as one big cash cow to rip off. *Que the hipsters talking about not ALL of them are like that blah blah blah* I never saw a Greek or Italian woman going into a supermarket in mink coat paying for stuff with food stamps. End of story.

You people can whine and whine with your NYU politically correct garbage about immigrants and the statue of liberty, but nothing in this world looks, behaves or acts equally, that is a fact and the general behavior of Russians in this country as a group is in start contrast to that of the older immigrants that built new york, who never even had the option of such welfare benefits.

Now I am expecting to get a whole slew of namby pamby talk about how I am being closed minded and blah blah blah, but you know what? I may be closed minded, but the others are liars at the end of the day who say otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 05:54 AM

515 posts, read 368,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSI View Post
I think what nightcrawler is saying is he notices the difference between the immigrants, his family immigrated had the idea to work hard and make money and to conform to the American way of life. And now these russians come and they see the country as one big cash cow to rip off. *Que the hipsters talking about not ALL of them are like that blah blah blah* I never saw a Greek or Italian woman going into a supermarket in mink coat paying for stuff with food stamps. End of story.

You people can whine and whine with your NYU politically correct garbage about immigrants and the statue of liberty, but nothing in this world looks, behaves or acts equally, that is a fact and the general behavior of Russians in this country as a group is in start contrast to that of the older immigrants that built new york, who never even had the option of such welfare benefits.

Now I am expecting to get a whole slew of namby pamby talk about how I am being closed minded and blah blah blah, but you know what? I may be closed minded, but the others are liars at the end of the day who say otherwise.
Did you see Somalians in Minnesota or Mexicans in Houston ? They're worse....They're less educated, can't speak English and use way more welfare benefits.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:52 AM

110 posts, read 219,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragneel View Post
Did you see Somalians in Minnesota or Mexicans in Houston ? They're worse....They're less educated, can't speak English and use way more welfare benefits.
Perhaps your right about that but we don't live in texas or minnesota and that is why the subject or topic of focus is the russians in this case.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:10 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSI View Post

Finally, someone understands my logic.!!

yeah, I have never seen Greek or Italian women in a mink coat using food stamps either.....

Old 04-05-2011, 09:22 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
It is also true that the Russian community in Brighton Beach had a hookup to the State Division of Motor Vehicles--for $300 and a photograph, you could get a genuine New York driver's license. It didn't matter if you couldn't read the road signs (which happen to be in English).

I know this for a fact, incidentally; a friend of mine used to go out with a Russian woman who really did get a driver's license that way. But I think that loophole got closed...although I never heard anything about any of those falsely acquired licenses being revoked.

It is true that the Russians, moreso than any other immigrant group I can think of, came here with more hookups and connections than you could shake a stick at. And that doesn't do anything to lessen resentment.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:02 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
How exactly would you even have known they were greek or italian? Do they wear signs on their foreheads? This whole discussion is silly, and typical American anti-immigrant nonsense. Everything bad with this country is because of immigrants, they are only here for their own benefit, they will never assimilate, they have nothing to offer, and nobody wants them here. Blah blah blah...typical American nonsense spoken by typically 3rd generation (Or less) Americans who are bashing people the way their grandparents were bashed. It's sad.

Many on these forums love to stereotype and make broad (incorrect) statements about groups based on "what I think I just saw therefore it applies to all" mentality.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:14 AM

Well Sobro, ( again, with love) I see this in my neighborhood all the time, the russians paying with the food card, young and older....please, and i am working 40 hours a week, it does get a little annoying .

ie: young couple with toddler paying for their groceries at "Associated market", with the blue and white benefit card, the guy could have been no more than 30, she probably younger, c'mon, gimme a break....then I pay with a credit card...............

after seeing this over and over, it does get annoying.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:16 AM

169 posts, read 675,324 times
Default ?

Wow, what a thread!

Ok, being one of them (Russians), i have a slightly different perspective on this.
1. Welfare - was a necessary evil when i first got here (19 yrs ago). It takes a few year to acclimate, learn the language a bit, get a local degree (since a foreign one would never count for anything) and then move on.
2. Paying with food stamps while wearing a mink coat - This is due to a cultural difference that most people would have no clue about. As sad as that is, such coats are among a Russian's greatest possessions, often brought to the US from their home country. Simply having one does not mean you're a fat cat and should not be on welfare at the same time.
3. Paying with food stamps and jumping into a Mercedes Benz - some do cheat the system. Russians are not unique to it - they're just easy to pick on (at least in this case). Maybe they have a well to do friend who gave them a ride? Maybe naive on my side but simply assuming that they're cheating is insane and another cheap shot.
4. Signs in Russian in predominantly Russian neighborhoods - Umm...i don't even know what to say. Brighton Beach, Benhsonhurst, Bath Beach; how are they different from NYC Chinatown, Borough Park, Spanish Harlem - where the language in storefronts and signs reflects the ethnic population that lives there? Again, silly to get mad at that.

Feel free to bash me

Old 04-05-2011, 10:21 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Well Sobro, ( again, with love) I see this in my neighborhood all the time, the russians paying with the food card, young and older....please, and i am working 40 hours a week, it does get a little annoying .

ie: young couple with toddler paying for their groceries at "Associated market", with the blue and white benefit card, the guy could have been no more than 30, she probably younger, c'mon, gimme a break....then I pay with a credit card...............

after seeing this over and over, it does get annoying.
Agreed. And my mother, who is US born and severely disabled, is having a problem getting them.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Agreed. And my mother, who is US born and severely disabled, is having a problem getting them.

I don't doubt it. It is a dis-grace

A friend of mine is also un-employed and cannot get food stamps.

also American born.

sickening, just sickning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City