Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 06:18 PM

515 posts, read 368,061 times

Advertisements

Staten Island’s Russians — even if many are really from Ukraine or other lands of the former Soviet Union — number 22,288 by the most recent census estimates, or more than 50,000 by their own estimates, which would make Russians one-tenth of the island’s population. As immigrant strivers, they moved to Staten Island for the affordable houses, good schools, suburban feel and pace, even a boardwalk in South Beach that can match Brighton Beach’s in length, if not in ambience.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/21/ny...rnal.html?_r=1

It's pretty sad, I love Russia and Russians are ambitious / hard-working people !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 06:54 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,624 times
How many of the people crying and moaning about being invaded do you think came over the bridge from Brooklyn themselves?

Old 03-31-2011, 08:03 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
This area had fallen into bad times until the 1970's. The building boom after a new sewer system was put in brought in numerous Italians & Irish into the area. But like numerous area in NYC the ripple effect occured. Their children (next generation) didn't stay and stepped up the economic ladder to better areas in NJ where the infrastruture & transportation is much better. If NYC would have put in a train system to connect it another boro then it would have grown like most of the other boros and the prices for homes would have been higher. So as the 70's residents get older and the cheaply built homes started showing its age the area could have gotten worse again like some areas near Bayonne or the next generation (like Canarsie, Bklyn for example in the 80's) came and moved in and basically saved the area. The Russians over time will renovate these homes and spare no expense to make the homes nearly pristine. And give them enough time they will have a Ferry to Brighton Beach.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:11 PM

810 posts, read 836,628 times
Haters are gonna hate. All stagnant populations seem to do is fume at others who are productive.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:37 AM

4,413 posts, read 5,145,849 times
IMO, Russians are fantastic additions to America. They blend in quite well and have that Cartesian state of mind. Persians, Turks, Jamaicans, Ukrainians, Polish, Trinidadians and Cubans are great additions as well.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:17 AM

369 posts, read 617,890 times
Stubborn, snobbish, very unrealistic. That's been my experience with single Russian women who are looking to date/mate. She could be homely and built like a dumpy potato sack but nobody "less" than Brad Pittinsky is "good" enough................My dad feels the same way, he's divorced, in his 60's and dealing with Russian females in their 60's but still nyet.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:54 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
From the article:
Quote:
Census estimates for 2008 put the median family income for Staten Island’s Russians at $106,788
^ That's all I care about, that the people are actually productive members of society and NYC.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:59 AM

515 posts, read 368,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
From the article:

^ That's all I care about, that the people are actually productive members of society and NYC.
Wow, they do extremly fine

Old 04-01-2011, 08:01 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
IMO, Russians are fantastic additions to America. They blend in quite well and have that Cartesian state of mind. Persians, Turks, Jamaicans, Ukrainians, Polish, Trinidadians and Cubans are great additions as well.
I am living over here in Bath Beach, and I so DISAGREE with that statement.

ugh !!! I do not think they blend in well here at all. A lot of them are rude, they scream when they are talking on a cell, ugh !!! Almost every single Russian smokes, blech !!!!

I never hear them speak English, hello this is America, not Russia.....
and no, I don't want to see signs in Russian in my neighborhood....I find that insulting......

Old 04-01-2011, 08:17 AM

810 posts, read 836,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I am living over here in Bath Beach, and I so DISAGREE with that statement.

ugh !!! I do not think they blend in well here at all. A lot of them are rude, they scream when they are talking on a cell, ugh !!! Almost every single Russian smokes, blech !!!!

I never hear them speak English, hello this is America, not Russia.....
and no, I don't want to see signs in Russian in my neighborhood....I find that insulting......
Moderator cut: Off-topic As long as the new immigrants are not recreating dangerous conditions I think it's tolerable.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-02-2011 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: Not the topic of this thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City