Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 06:44 AM

15 posts, read 124,392 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm a photographer interested in taking pictures of abandoned buildings around the city. Does anythone have any suggestions? (please suggest safe areas)

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 07:06 AM

113 posts, read 263,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danob1111 View Post
Hello,

I'm a photographer interested in taking pictures of abandoned buildings around the city. Does anythone have any suggestions? (please suggest safe areas)

Thank you!
Most abandoned buildings aren't in safe areas! Why do you need photos of them anyway? Work?

Old 03-31-2011, 07:21 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Is the Willowbrook mental hospital in SI still abandoned? That place has a pretty creepy vibe.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:02 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
South Bronx has not many left anymore, but there is still a big one: The Bronx borough courthouse abandoned since 1978 this landmark bldg is on 161st and Third Ave. Morrisania hospital was another one but it was rehabbed in the late 90's.

In Harlem are the remains of the Corn Exchange bldg this landmark bldg is on 125th and Park Ave.

The best place to hunt for abandoned bldgs is in Brooklyn's Ocean Hill ( a northern subsection of Brownsville) Start your trip along ENY Ave. from Crown Heights and walk east. Look on the side streets also. Dont miss Liberty Nursing Home on 1543 ENY ave. the adjacent big administrative bldg is also abandoned.

There should be three abandoned high-rise projects on Prospect Pl. in Ocean Hill "The Prospect Plaza" but they might be already demolished and the tenants has been moved to new constructed low-rise homes around the property.

Coney Island is also worth checking out, this dump has not seen any revitalization efforts yet.

Sadly you are about ten years late on your mission, plenty of vacant lots and abandonment in the early 2000's.

But a total return to decay is not excluded in NYC with the current economic recession creating more and more foreclosures especially in South Jamaica, Queens.

NONE OF THESE AREAS I SUGGESTED ARE SAFE. Safety and decay dont go hand in hand.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:27 AM

233 posts, read 720,686 times
not sure if this is what you're looking for, but aren't there some abandoned buildings on Roosevelt island? That place seems pretty safe. If you're looking for strictly urban decay, why not take a trip to Cleveland? I was there late last year on some job interviews and that place was totally depressing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/05/ny.../05asylum.html

Old 03-31-2011, 08:44 AM

NYC has it's own charm when it comes to decay. You cannot find similar tenements and big project areas in any other city. NYC is NYC and it's unique.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Is the Willowbrook mental hospital in SI still abandoned? That place has a pretty creepy vibe.
Still abandoned. A terrible place, it was a real house of horrors when it was in use. Still today you can feel the anxiety of the poor souls that once inhabited the place.

Remembering an Infamous New York Institution : NPR
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for Abandoned Buildings to photograph-images.jpg  

Old 03-31-2011, 09:17 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Still abandoned. A terrible place, it was a real house of horrors when it was in use. Still today you can feel the anxiety of the poor souls that once inhabited the place.
I kid you not I'd live there if I were a millionaire. The property is probably dirt cheap, but the house renovations will go into millions probably. The building architecture itself is awesome, plus the big yard space. I'd put big old gravestones around the yard and live there till 100! So I can be that creepy man-eating human-experimentation-plotting old man in a haunted house.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:31 AM

If I had to choose were to spend the night, in the Amityville Horror house or Willowbrook...I would pick Willowbrook.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:01 AM

15 posts, read 124,392 times
I've heard of Willowbrook. I def. want to check it out.
My website shows a few abandoned buildings that I've been in. Rockland Pysch Center is one of them.

http://www.danielleobrienphotography.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City