Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 02:43 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times

Advertisements

We are discussing 2011..and thankfully alot has changed. That being said, if the hundreds or thousands of young white females can traverse public transportation and travel alone (day and evening) in poor communities of color, I am confident this Aussie can do it, or any other caucasion person for that matter. It isn't that great of a feat, and here's a tip: Nobody is waiting for whites, or anyone else, to come to their communities..we have other things to do...like pay bills, work, and try to move forward in life. Crazy huh?

Old 04-01-2011, 02:51 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigou View Post
1) white people are not all hipsters 2) white people living in Williamsburg or Bushwick are not all hipsters 3) White people living in East Williamsburg/Bushwick oftentimes chose to live there because 4) White people are not all rich and funded by dad, as it is often assumed on this forum. 5) White people living in Bushwick do not automatically get robbed/jumped 6) a lot of people (including white people! gasp!) choose their neighborhood according to their income and the length of their commute.
Let me add one more:
7) Not all hipsters are white!

Old 04-01-2011, 02:52 PM

I second all those things above. The amount of stereotyping on here is really disturbing. Leave these people alone and let them be whatever it is they want to be...and you should expect the same courtesy. Land of the free right? Except when you don't like it or approve????

Old 04-01-2011, 03:08 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
We are discussing 2011..and thankfully alot has changed. That being said, if the hundreds or thousands of young white females can traverse public transportation and travel alone (day and evening) in poor communities of color, I am confident this Aussie can do it, or any other caucasion person for that matter. It isn't that great of a feat, and here's a tip: Nobody is waiting for whites, or anyone else, to come to their communities..we have other things to do...like pay bills, work, and try to move forward in life. Crazy huh?

For the love of everything sacred, I never said that this guy couldn't handle himself or should be afraid of "evil black and brown people". I was simply calling you out on your first post which was honestly nothing more than race-baiting.

And since you mentioned it, white people aren't sitting in their neighborhoods looking for "them coloreds" to show up so they can beat up and de-humanize them. Despite what you're not so subtly insinuating.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:15 PM

Race baiting is something you will never see me do. I do however dispel the idea that somehow people of color are just waiting to pounce on a white person..that's just hogwash. Furthermore,it is rarely the case that there is black on white crime, and it is far more prevalent to have white on black crime, and historically that has always been the case. Yet we still see a repeated "If I am white and I walked into Brooklyn would I die" nonsense questions....why? It's annoying.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:34 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
Race baiting is something you will never see me do. I do however dispel the idea that somehow people of color are just waiting to pounce on a white person..that's just hogwash. Furthermore,it is rarely the case that there is black on white crime, and it is far more prevalent to have white on black crime, and historically that has always been the case. Yet we still see a repeated "If I am white and I walked into Brooklyn would I die" nonsense questions....why? It's annoying.
You're post came off very much as race-baiting...

I've already told you, and you'll refuse to accept it, that whites are often victimized and robbed of their belongings by non-whites these days. It does happen. Does it happen to blacks and hispanics by whites often? Maybe? I don't hear about it at all as much (btw one of my cop buddies is black, he'd definitely tell me about it).

All that I maintained since the beginning of this is that crimes happen to and from people across the board. You claimed that it is vastly imbalanced towards blacks and Hispanics by whites. I called you out on your (race-baiting?) B.S.

Oh and newbies to the city have this impession that they'll get robbed everywhere they go because of how it used to be and how tv and movies still portray it. It's pretty simple. Because when crack was king.....yeah.....you had to watch your ass. And a lot of the perps happened to be people of color (why that was/is the case is a discussion for a different thread).

Old 04-01-2011, 06:17 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
yo you'll get your head cracked as soon as you cross that bridge into the bronx.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:21 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Load of crap, I'm sorry. And don't go citing that one kid who got chased onto the belt parkway years ago.

These pasty, hipsters get mugged and robbed of their i-products all the freakin time these days.
no ****

Tell those idiots to stop walking through the hood @ 2 am with their phones out without a care in the world. That doesn't just happen to hipsters, that happens to everyone. white, black, yellow, purple, green...

Old 04-01-2011, 09:23 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
So they like Apple products. How does that affect you?
No not really in any way, but sometimes it gets annoying because these people seem to feel better and superior by using apple. Pretty much an eltiest sentiment and cult following. Any way Im happy with my windows 7 and my andriod 2.2.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:29 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
And I know blacks whose daily lives revolve around drugs and thuggery..does that make it applicable to all of them? Why is it ok to stereotype and despise Hipsters, especially those white ones, but it's not ok to stereotype people of color? Don't see a problem here?

This is off topic though. The reality is a white person going into Harlem or the Bronx will be fine, unless of course they are looking for trouble. But really...no matter where you go if you seek trouble you will find it. It's 2011, not 1975.
Me too I know many blacks whos lives around drugs and thuuggery thier whole entire lives. I know some blacks who spent more time in jail than they ever spent in school. Sad but true. Some of them who are trouble some thay I know are going back down $outh because ny is not forgiveful and start new lives down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City