Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 05:51 AM

23 posts, read 99,297 times

Advertisements

Would you get the suitcase beaten out of you if you go into the Bronx or Harlem ? even if ur an aussie?

Old 04-01-2011, 06:02 AM

9,239 posts, read 23,988,250 times
Stupid question.

Both The Bronx and Harlem are big places with with every kind of neighborhood imaginable.There are neighborhoods in The Bronx with 10 Million dollar houses.

And even the bad neighborhoods of Harlem and The Bronx have lower crime rates than the average sections of most major US cities.

The Bronx is slightly smaller than Perth.Would it make sense to you if I asked if "I'd get the suitcase beaten out of me if I went to Perth,even though I'm an American ?"

And what does "even if ur an aussie" mean ? Do Aussies have some kind of special aura that protects them and makes them less likely to be crime victims ?

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-01-2011 at 06:20 AM..

Old 04-01-2011, 09:27 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,777,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunda View Post
even if ur an aussie?
Your gonna get a crack right in the lips if you go there thinking your better.

Welcome.
Now go get some.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:29 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,006,016 times
Yes.

Do us a favor and post up on 155th in Harlem and Tremont in the Bronx. Report back to us what happens.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:56 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,777,142 times

Old 04-01-2011, 10:25 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,322,447 times
Let me educate the Aussie. In NYC, the people who are attacked by far are people of color by whites..it is rarely the case that "whites" are attacked by people of color...it just doesn't happen. The population which should be most afraid are black and hispanic people entering "white" communities, as they are historically met with anger, ridicule, and violence (and still happening unfortunately). Whites entering communities of color historically, and currently, have nothing to fear except their own internalized victimization by the "evil brown and black people."

There are hundreds if not thousands of young "white" female teachers who travel via public transportation to poor communities of color, and I don't think there has been in case in my memory where they were attacked or assaulted in any way...so I am pretty sure you would be ok.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:32 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,188,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Let me educate the Aussie. In NYC, the people who are attacked by far are people of color by whites..it is rarely the case that "whites" are attacked by people of color...it just doesn't happen. The population which should be most afraid are black and hispanic people entering "white" communities, as they are historically met with anger, ridicule, and violence (and still happening unfortunately). Whites entering communities of color historically, and currently, have nothing to fear except their own internalized victimization by the "evil brown and black people."

There are hundreds if not thousands of young "white" female teachers who travel via public transportation to poor communities of color, and I don't think there has been in case in my memory where they were attacked or assaulted in any way...so I am pretty sure you would be ok.

Don't listen to this guy downunda, he's got a chip on his shoulder. These crimes, even though they happen much less now than in the past, happen to people of all colors, by people of different colors.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:40 AM

Available of course crimes happen to everyone by everyone...however this commenter is asking whether he will get the suitcase beat out of him just by entering Harlem or The Bronx? Even if your an Aussie? Come on! I have no chip on my shoulder for the record...except of course to dispel lies and misinformation.

The reality is if you are "white" (an Aussie) you are less likely to be the victim of anything, especially in communities of color (Harlem and portions of the Bronx). And if you are a person of color anywhere, you are more likely to be the victim of something. And I stand by these statements.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:44 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,188,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Available of course crimes happen to everyone by everyone...however this commenter is asking whether he will get the suitcase beat out of him just by entering Harlem or The Bronx? Even if your an Aussie? Come on! I have no chip on my shoulder for the record...except of course to dispel lies and misinformation.

The reality is if you are "white" (an Aussie) you are less likely to be the victim of anything, especially in communities of color (Harlem and portions of the Bronx). And if you are a person of color anywhere, you are more likely to be the victim of something. And I stand by these statements.

Load of crap, I'm sorry. And don't go citing that one kid who got chased onto the belt parkway years ago.

These pasty, hipsters get mugged and robbed of their i-products all the freakin time these days.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:02 PM

And how would you know that Hipsters are constantly being robbed? B/c you know someone who was robbed? Someone came on the forum and said so? Hipsters come in all colors...and everyone has i-products these days. Sounds like the usual stereotypes to me.

If only it were "one kid years ago"...NYC would be a much better place for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City