U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What Streets in Upper East Side do I need to focus in my search for an apartment?
55th Street- 59th Street 7 28.00%
60th Street-65th Street 3 12.00%
66th Street- 70th Street 4 16.00%
71th Street- 75th Street 9 36.00%
76th Street- 80th Street 7 28.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 8,512 times
Thumbs up Best Streets In New York to live in!

Hai!!!

I'm going to move to New York (Manhattan!!) to live and work there for a couple of years.

Now I heard that between the 55th and 75th Street - Upper-EastSide is the best (and unfortunately also the most expensive) area to live in when you are being considered as a yup (??!! I think they call me this way because in a few months I'll finish my MBA).

Do you agree? Or do you know some other hotspots?

Are there people who perhaps know some landlords who have apartments in the 55th and 75th Street-Upper EastSideArea?

Really hope someone can help me!!!

Greetings form Holland !!!

x Aeliane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 12:35 PM

7,081 posts, read 23,317,003 times
The upper Wast side is considered to run from 60th Street up to 96th. And there are LOTS of neighborhoods just as expensive: Soho, Chelsea, parts of the upper West side....

Where you should live depends on where you're going to work, what you want in your neighborhood, etc.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:14 PM

11,151 posts, read 8,928,693 times
There's a lot more to consider when choosing a place to live in New York, other than just being a "Yuppie." Budget and location are probably the biggest considerations -- how much can you comfortably afford, and how close do you need to be to your job?

Once you have the answers to those questions, then you can start looking at specific neighborhoods/streets.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:29 AM

928 posts, read 2,382,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
There's a lot more to consider when choosing a place to live in New York, other than just being a "Yuppie." Budget and location are probably the biggest considerations -- how much can you comfortably afford, and how close do you need to be to your job?

Once you have the answers to those questions, then you can start looking at specific neighborhoods/streets.
How much can you 'comfortably' afford?? No, more like 'How much can you qualify for & how is your credit. Remember, income must be at least 45 times the monthly rent. We don't know but having good income doesn't always equal good credit (in NYC you need 720+ FICO to rent an apartment). Insufficient credit may also be a deal killer unless you can either get a guarantor or can pay the entire lease upfront in advance prior to move in.

The OP sounds like one of these nouveau uber Gen Y yuppies that make up most of Manhattan (and can afford $4,000 + to rent an apartment). How they can afford to pay the rent & live this 'sex in the city' or Paris Hilton like lifestyle I don't know.

Here is a reality check, Unless you are making $200,000 a year and can afford to pay a brokers fee of 15% of annual rent (at a minimum) those neighborhoods listed are probably unrealistic. Or are you prepared to spend a minimum between $3,000 - $5,000 a month on a tiny apartment?? That is over $35,000 a year spent on rent with nothing gained.

Don't forget about those other things that really add up --- Dinner out, Drinks after work, gym membership, Duane Reade, Starbucks, Cabs everywhere & a garage to park your car.

And get the job on Wall Street with the bonus before thinking of yourself as a yuppie

Old 07-29-2007, 08:00 AM

There is SOME truth in what the poster above states, but not much. There are MANY on the upper East side making less than $200,000/year and living in Manhattan. Granted not a 'Sex in the City' lifestyle - but that, too, is an exaggeration. I've lived here my whole life - was born here, went to school here and my entire family still lives in Manhattan. You need to consider where you're going to work, what you like to do in your leisure time, your budget, etc.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:50 AM

957 posts, read 3,023,489 times
UES a hot spot?
If I was a young MBA, I would start looking in the village. Going to be much more interesting that UES.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:29 PM

16 posts, read 59,288 times
Very cool that you can live on the upper east side, but in my opinion the upper west side is a lot cooler.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:48 PM

5 posts, read 15,214 times
I would not say upper east side is the place to live if you are a yuppy. I think Brooklyn is the place. Around Carrol Gardens anywhere near Smith and Court streets, you will see young professionals. rents for one bedroom is around $1400-$1600. tons of restaurants and bars. check it out.
good luck

Old 07-30-2007, 06:39 PM

957 posts, read 3,023,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isezer View Post
I would not say upper east side is the place to live if you are a yuppy. I think Brooklyn is the place. Around Carrol Gardens anywhere near Smith and Court streets, you will see young professionals. rents for one bedroom is around $1400-$1600. tons of restaurants and bars. check it out.
good luck
Actually I kind of agree. I lived in Manhattan for 6 1/2 years. Now Brooklyn for little over a year. I have to tell you that I really love Brooklyn. I really love Cobble Hill and Carrol Gardens. I was in Park Slope for a year, but moved to Bayridge to save money.
However, I know what it is to HAVE to live in MANHATTAN. If I had the money to live in Manhattan it would either be the village or the UWS. UES is too stuffy for me.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:58 AM

You know, it all depends on several factors: what can you afford? The UES is less expensive than the UWS (except for the UES Gold Coast in 10021). Does walking to work matter? Things like that. I wouldn't dismiss someplace out of hand just because it doesn't seem 'cool.' Whatever that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City