Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 11:50 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,238,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Enjoy Santa Monica!
Crappy for LA standards.

Which is better than anything on Wall St.

lmfao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 09:49 AM

298 posts, read 704,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
Crappy for LA standards.

lmfao

This is what the area looks like in better light.

Disgusting.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:47 AM

33,695 posts, read 46,937,859 times
Quote:
Crappy for LA standards.

lmfao
Quote:
I live in Santa Monica and I think we already have enough homeless. Please don't come here unless you have something to contribute.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-27-2017, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 698 times
I am living in a illegal one bedroom basement for the past 18 years. My rent started at 450.00 of which that time it keep increasing as the years goes by. no problem. Bare in mine I'm a single mom and I do all the repairs to the place with no reimbursement. Meanwhile I'm working for minimum wages. To my surprise the landlord raise the rent by 650.00 making my rent 1,300 per month. My question to someone or anyone how can I handle this increase. Please advise.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:56 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,874,442 times
Since it's an illegal apartment don't pay rent.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:34 AM

43,375 posts, read 44,091,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp3333 View Post
How could your rent go up twice in one year? Don't you have at least a yearly lease?
I assume that a major capital improvement could cause the rent to go up in the middle of a lease for a rent stabilized tenant.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:01 AM

4,743 posts, read 6,461,650 times
A friend of mine just signed a rent-stabilized lease with a preferential rent, so I did some research for her. It's quite a confusing topic, but here is a good discussion of the ins and outs:

Preferential Rents | Metropolitan Council on Housing

In brief, a preferential rent is sometimes given to get people to rent an apartment whose legal rent is quite high, above what comparable apartments in the area are going for. So the landlord can offer a lower rent, keeping in reserve the higher, legal rent. In most cases, the low rent is good only for the term of the original lease. After that, the landlord is free to charge the legal rent, or any amount up to the legal rent.

You have to read your lease carefully, because real estate agents have been known to lie and say, "Oh, he has never raised anyone's rent up to the legal rent, don't worry about that!"

In my development, where agents did tell people that, tenants got a raise of, in one case I know about, $1,200 a month after the year's lease was finished.

After the tenants move out in horror, the landlord gets a 20% vacancy increase. It pays to have people moving in and out! So get them in with a low rent and insure (pretty much) that they stay only a year. What a racket!

Old 01-28-2017, 10:31 AM

954 posts, read 933,599 times
I had this same exact situation. Here's how it went down:

I got a really nice 2 bedroom apartment in a new building in the heart of Fort Green. The building itself was only 5 years old. The rent was $2900, below martlet. We also excited to find out the unit was rent stabilized!

Fast forward the next year our rent goes up to 3150! We were confused because with a rent stabilized lease the landlord can only go up 2%. $250 is way more than 2 %. I was like wtf is going on? After doing some research and talking with the city I found out what happened.

Even though we agreed to the rent rate of $2900 that was only the preferred rent. The "real" rent was like $3600. So they were allowed to go all the way up to that if they wanted. The rent stabilized rules only applied to the $3600. So my new lease had $3150 for the preferred and $3600 for the real rent. We really like the place so we ended up staying for 4 more years. The landlord was somewhat reasonable. When I moved out I was paying around $3300. Still below market rate.

My take on the preferred rent is this; it's a sneaky incentive to get renters. Rather then advertise something as net effective and have to give the renter free rent; the landlord can simply give them a "discount" and legally give them a huge increase when it comes to sign a new lease once hey are all moved in. This way they still get to advertise the unit as "rent stabilized". Knowing most people won't read or understand their lease.

Very sneaky.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:08 PM

1,507 posts, read 998,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post

My take on the preferred rent is this; it's a sneaky incentive to get renters. Rather then advertise something as net effective and have to give the renter free rent; the landlord can simply give them a "discount" and legally give them a huge increase when it comes to sign a new lease once hey are all moved in. This way they still get to advertise the unit as "rent stabilized". Knowing most people won't read or understand their lease.

Very sneaky.
So you're saying that advertising a unit as "net effective" is deceptive? HOW would a prospective tenant find out what's the real/legal rent being that they don't have access to rent rolls?

Old 01-28-2017, 12:35 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,757,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
After the tenants move out in horror, the landlord gets a 20% vacancy increase. It pays to have people moving in and out! So get them in with a low rent and insure (pretty much) that they stay only a year. What a racket!
In theory yes it sounds great however if one apt keeps becoming vacant and marketed at a much higher price than the area it will remain vacant for a long time. Ive seen many apts vacant for upto 5-8 months because of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post

Very sneaky.
As someone who works in the industry, i agree 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City