U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 13,927 times

Advertisements

So i recently moved to Riverdale NY in Set 2010. Although it's much quieter than i like i do enjoy it and feel safe there. But last Saturday my 11 year old car was stolen from me. I need another car for work and such and do not want to park it on the street does anyone know of a good priced garage in Riverdale, indoor or outdoor?

Also does anyone know if vehicle theft is on the rise in Riverdale i have been hearing people mention that this is starting to happen a lot.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 09:40 AM

10,594 posts, read 24,064,233 times
Goodness, so sorry to hear about the car. Where were you parked? I haven't heard anything about a rise in car thefts from family that I have in Riverdale, but thieves can strike anywhere. I sometimes park on the street when visiting others in the neighborhood, and have not had an issue, but do know someone whose Audi windows were smashed for a leather jacket left on the back seat. The strange thing about that is it happened around 6pm, in the winter, but still, I am sm surprised that it was not witn

Where in Riverdale are you seeking a garage? North Riverdale? Spuyten Duyvil? Some of the larger buildings have garages, even if you are not a resident. For example, The Century has a 24-hour garage for daily parking, and monthly contracts. Someone who used to rent an apartment from a friend of mine also found a private garage to rent, through the classifieds, but it was not in the most convenient location from the house. I do not know that I would trust a lot if you don't drive the car much, as someone I know had an issue with their second car that was kept in an outdoor lot. While it was not stolen, parts from it, especially batteries, were taken on more than one occassion.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-07-2011, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 13,927 times
I guess i live in Central Riverdale near he Henry Hudson Pkway which is also where my car was stolen. I would be looking for a garage in that area. I was also worried about that sort of problem you mentioned with an outdoor garage. I just can't bear the thought of having another car taken form me. I was so attached to my old car even though it was old it was my first car.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:16 AM

10,594 posts, read 24,064,233 times
I can understand completely, as there are cars to which one becomes attached, well beyond the replacement cost of the car. You really do feel victimized when someone steals your car, though many may not understand that level of attachment to transportation. But, if cars were merely transportation, we would all drive the same style, size, engine size, and transmission type.

Parking on the HH Parkway can be annoying at times, since I know of two people who have had mirrors broken off, and a navigation system stolen from the car (not a transportable GPS, either, which resulted in interior damage). It may be slightly more inconvenient to find a garage, since some stretches around the parkway don't have much in the way of commercial parking. The Whitehall has garage parking, as would some of the larger buildings. I would see if there's a parking attendant you could ask about space availability, or ask the doorman for the parking manager if there's nobody on-site as an attendant. It is sometimes possible to rent from the co-op, even if it's not an hourly garage.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-07-2011, 05:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 25,831,192 times
Default I live in Riverdale

on Broadway and 252. When my car was 18 months old all 4 wheel covers were stolen. The drivers mirror was ripped off when it was 2, cornering lights ripped out at 10, broken into twice (the thief got nothing each time cause i keep nothing of value in there) at 7 and 9, but since then nothing has happened

Car thefts have always been a big problem in RIverdale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City