Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:32 PM

6 posts, read 38,672 times

Advertisements

I thank you for your responses.
Any lawyers here? Or someone who may have had a similar experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 08:07 PM

979 posts, read 4,455,408 times
Well the bad news is there's a Queens task force dedicated to this specific situation. Check your block for similar situations. See if your neighbors have had the same problem. You can go on line and look up similar complaints and see how the follow through was. Chances are that after two visits you'll see that they were closed out. The good news is the DOB has to get a court order the same way the police get search warrants. They need to show probable cause and without anything other then an anonymous phone call a judge won't give them the right to enter. Maybe your problem will be your tenant. Both of you will have to be psychologically prepared to deny access to an inspector standing at the door.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:09 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
You KNOW you have an illegal apt. You KNOW you cannot ever get it legal without some serious modifications to your property - you need TWO exits to the outside - not one into your home. If you don't know that and are still trying to collect rent, then you are not worthy of anyone trying to help you.

You are endangering lives. You are doing so KNOWINGly.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
You KNOW you have an illegal apt. You KNOW you cannot ever get it legal without some serious modifications to your property - you need TWO exits to the outside - not one into your home. If you don't know that and are still trying to collect rent, then you are not worthy of anyone trying to help you.

You are endangering lives. You are doing so KNOWINGly.
The exit into the house would be legal if it was kept unlocked or a corridor was provided to the outside.

I'm a pragmatist when it comes to the law. Where possible obey it. When the law is stupid figure out a loop hole, use legalistic technicalities to circumvent it or weigh the consequences and disobey it.
The difference between a cellar and a basement is totally arbitrary and could be change by just regrading the property. One is a death trap, the other not so much.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:32 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
I've also seen other state on here that in the case of a tenant being forced out of an illegal basement unit, the tenant doesn't have to pay any rent and you (the landlord) are responsible for paying his moving costs to a new (legal) place.

Also, as a side question, why do these units have to have two means of egress to the outside while most regular apartments above the first floor only have one (the fire escape)? If I had to evacuate my apartment right now, the only way that directly leads outside is the fire escape. Other than that, my only other means of escape is my front door, which is separated from the outside by a hallway and (thankfully only) four flights of stairs.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:33 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Regardless whether you agree with the law, you are still bound by it.

In the case of 2 egresses - you DO have two direct exits to outside - one via the hallway and stairs - it's not through someone else's apt. No one is debating cellar vs basement. All apts must have 2 means of egress.

The OP knew his apt was illegal. He stated he bought a ONE FAMILY HOME - that means it's not a one family plus apt. The apt is illegal and he knew it. I have no sympathy for him for doing the repairs to the apt when he KNEW it was illegal or for the fines he is about to have handed to him.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
All apts must have 2 means of egress.
Quote:
...you need TWO exits to the outside... You are endangering lives. You are doing so KNOWINGly.
Well if you knew the law then you would know that a means of egress can be substituted with a sprinkler system. That's one exception. There are others. But that's beside the point. Like I've said before if the basement door was either unlocked or had an alarmed panic bar (Detex) then there would be 2 exits. Since the C of O indicates a one family house then that second means is not through another "apartment".
Therefore it's legal. But that too is beside the point.

Regardless of what is living in the basement be it human or animal the only violations the DoB will give is work done without a permit. There is no "illegal living" in the DoB violation code. If I was the OP and if the tenant would cooperate I would put the tenant up somewhere else, remove the offending appliances, get the inspection and move on.

Your indignation at a basement apartment is misdirected.

500 people die a year from CO poisoning throughout the entire house yet 12000 people die in stair related accidents.

I say Down with Stairs!!!

Old 04-10-2011, 03:16 AM

589 posts, read 1,220,255 times
I am pretty sure you do not have to let the DOB inspector in and nothing can be held against you because it is your property and they have no evidence of any issues within the basement other then a tenant complaining.

This was info I had while working for 311 a few years ago, things may have changed since then though.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:02 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,550,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post

In the case of 2 egresses - you DO have two direct exits to outside - one via the hallway and stairs - it's not through someone else's apt. No one is debating cellar vs basement. All apts must have 2 means of egress.

The OP knew his apt was illegal. He stated he bought a ONE FAMILY HOME - that means it's not a one family plus apt. The apt is illegal and he knew it. I have no sympathy for him for doing the repairs to the apt when he KNEW it was illegal or for the fines he is about to have handed to him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
Well if you knew the law then you would know that a means of egress can be substituted with a sprinkler system. That's one exception. There are others. But that's beside the point. Like I've said before if the basement door was either unlocked or had an alarmed panic bar (Detex) then there would be 2 exits. Since the C of O indicates a one family house then that second means is not through another "apartment".
Therefore it's legal. But that too is beside the point.

Regardless of what is living in the basement be it human or animal the only violations the DoB will give is work done without a permit. There is no "illegal living" in the DoB violation code. If I was the OP and if the tenant would cooperate I would put the tenant up somewhere else, remove the offending appliances, get the inspection and move on.

Your indignation at a basement apartment is misdirected.

500 people die a year from CO poisoning throughout the entire house yet 12000 people die in stair related accidents.

I say Down with Stairs!!!
It's like playing whack a mole sometimes.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:47 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
LISTEN UP: Nothing will happen to you so long as you do one simple thing: DO NOT LET THEM IN TO INSPECT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

They will attempt to gain entry 2 times, and if they cannot gain entry, they simply close the case. The end. That's it...it's that simple. I had the same notification and did not call them, and they tried to gain access a couple of times. They could not get in, and they simply closed the case and that's standard procedure. You can follow it online and see when they attempted entry, the result, and the closed case.

DO NOT LET THEM IN. EVER. And you will be just fine. This is also in the papers:

In wake of deadly Bronx apartment fire, mayor says efforts to shut down firetraps 'not enough'

Excerpt: The city received five complaints of illegal apartments with faulty wiring and blocked exits in the Belmont building. Building inspectors visited the site 10 times but, following department policy, took no further action after they failed to get in after two tries." That is the standard policy..so don't worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City